Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Has anyone tried to start there own drive club ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2016, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Has anyone tried to start there own drive club ?

On my back road runs I notice alot of bike groups and at coffee stops all the bikers are parked talking bikes etc, I'll park my Evo usually around the side, sometimes I see other silver foxes in sports cars doing solo drives as well, I was thinking I should start my own Facebook page for old guys with sports cars who want to go out for random drives early Sunday and Saturday mornings, but was wondering wether there is legal obligation to do this, I read somewhere that if you organize a drive your liable for any issues that might come up.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonno99
On my back road runs I notice alot of bike groups and at coffee stops all the bikers are parked talking bikes etc, I'll park my Evo usually around the side, sometimes I see other silver foxes in sports cars doing solo drives as well, I was thinking I should start my own Facebook page for old guys with sports cars who want to go out for random drives early Sunday and Saturday mornings, but was wondering wether there is legal obligation to do this, I read somewhere that if you organize a drive your liable for any issues that might come up.
If you're just going for a cruise, I see no issue. If you and 15 other sports cars are banging gears and pinging it off redline through some back country roads and a cop happens to be running a trap, I see an issue.

I don't know the rules in Australia, but in the states I assume that if it's a restaurant or business hosting the event and some idiot in a FRS tries to drift out of the parking lot like Ryan Tuerck and smashes into a mother walking her child in a stroller, the venue may be liable. I can, however, see this as easy to fight in court if you had to, passing the blame onto the driver(s).

Typically what happens is when parking lots become drag strips/drift tracks/burnout competitions and enough people complain, law enforcement just contacts the owner of the venue and tells them to shut it down before they take further action, which is why most car show venues are quick to shut down shows, no matter how popular they are. The car shows/cruise nights themselves don't bring in a lot of business, so there's no incentive to risk keeping them around after they have gotten out of hand.

A good example of the contrary to this is H2Oi. The only reason OC, MD keeps that show around is because of the revenue stream that that week/end brings. Hotels, food, events, tickets for camber, exhaust, tint, speeding, etc. Yes, stupid **** happens every year, but MD just keeps on making money from those idiots so why get rid of it?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,546 Likes on 1,325 Posts
I don't like going out in big groups. Always end up getting separated. And draws a lot more attention.