Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 engine and transmission question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 engine and transmission question

Hello, im new to the forums as I came to ask some questions.

I currently drive a veloster turbo and for the power i'd like to achieve a few vendors don't believe the stock crankcase can withstand the power I want. My question is the veloster is fwd, but the engine has a similar layout to the veloster engine. As far as transmission location, wheel base, etc. Is there a transmission that can bolt up to the evo 8 engine that's able to run a fwd setup? Or is it possible to have the evo 8 tranny modified to run fwd only? By deleting the transfer case or some shorts? Sorry if I seem ignorant or don't properly understand it, im not well versed when it comes to transmission stuff. Thank you!
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
You would need complete custom mounts, bunch of welding and wiring Anything can be done with enough money.

Engine is reversed in a VT (I know I own one too haha). Exhaust exits out the back intake in front. EVO VIII/IX is opposite.

Keep the VT and build the engine if you like. Pistons and Rods have already been made and are in quite a few cars already running Tork Motorsports tunes.

or (best option)

Sell the VT and buy an EVO.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
The real question is why would you want to do that? There is a conversion kit to turn an evo into rear wheel drive, but not front wheel drive. Although it can be done.

If you want a high horsepower front wheel drive setup you can pull a 4g69 engine from a lancer and run the front wheel drive transmission that it comes with. At that point it would just be easier to buy a lancer.

Also, you mentioned veloster twice in your comparison statement, did you mean similar layout to the evo 8 engine?

-pal215
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Not a similar layout

Veloster Intake Front/Exhaust Rear
EVO VIII/IX Intake Rear/Exhaust Front
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Pal215
The real question is why would you want to do that? There is a conversion kit to turn an evo into rear wheel drive, but not front wheel drive. Although it can be done.

If you want a high horsepower front wheel drive setup you can pull a 4g69 engine from a lancer and run the front wheel drive transmission that it comes with. At that point it would just be easier to buy a lancer.

Also, you mentioned veloster twice in your comparison statement, did you mean similar layout to the evo 8 engine?

-pal215
Yes similar to the evo 8 engines (aside from displacement and exhaust/intake direction) it has a similar transmission location the veloster engine. based on diagrams i've looked at and just from seeing them with my eyes. Compared to other swaps, it's the most feasible for my car. (Aside from it being a better idea to have bought an evo maybe, but it's a project and it's just speculation for a current route im looking to go)
Old Jan 20, 2016, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
It might be more trouble then its worth. This sounds like a VERY big project without much of a payoff in the end. Are you dong all the work to this car? Is there a reason you chose a Veloster?

Last edited by Teal2nnr; Jan 20, 2016 at 03:52 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
pumping so much HP into the front wheels without the techo smarts to keep it under control is not my idea of having fun. I would rethink your idea of investing money into this project and what you will get out of it.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 02:47 PM

Just trade it for an evo
Old Jan 20, 2016, 02:51 PM

Is anyone aware of how many splines the end of the front axles on the Evo 8?
Old Jan 20, 2016, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
It might be more trouble then its worth. This sounds like a VERY big project without much of a payoff in the end. Are you dong all the work to this car? Is there a reason you chose a Veloster.
I originally chose a veloster because it was in my price range of what I can afford and was turbo. I'd consider trading in for an evo, but I've liked doing unique things better. As far as the install, custom mounts are all I would really need and someone to help wire it and someone to tune it. The engine layout is as I've said almost exactly similar to the velosters, of course as others have mentioned the intake and exhaust are switched which isn't a problem. Transmission placement is the same and I've confirmed you can make it a awd, I just need to know how many splines the axles have, if it's as many as the veloster has its a matter of length, otherwise I'd have to find ones that would have the same number of splines and proper length to set it up.