Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Split personality

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2016, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Split personality

Hello All

Just got my e85 conversion done a few weeks ago and my car has been exhibiting a split personality. The day I got it after the tune, the car was torquey and the responsiveness was very sharp. It felt awesome, it felt like it was making the numbers the dyno indicated. A few days later, the car is feeling slugish, the torquiness is gone and it felt like it had 2 sumo wrestlers in the car. I wouldve thought any number of things like boost leak, bad batch of e85 etc. But then once Im ready to troubleshoot, its back to how it was right after the tune. I think awesome, it was probably just a temp thing. Then two days ago, it went back to being slugish.

I dont think its the e85 quality, apparently here in Orlando the quality isnt seasonal, plus it changed personalities on the same tank of fuel. Cant be the clutch slipping, the rpm doesnt shoot up quicker than it should. Plus Ive had an evo with a slipping clutch and this isnt anything like that. Boost gauge has read the same while it was acting good or bad. Afrs seems normal as well. Dont know where to start to find the problem. Long story short. Anybody have some ideas of whats causing this? Ive tried to get together with the tuner but havent had any luck yet. Will try a boost leak test soon.

Last edited by pistons4550; Feb 23, 2016 at 03:40 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 01:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I dont knw if this will help but I had almost the same problem, but mine was with my turbo. I have a evo 8 with evo 9 turbo and the hot side were the internal waste gate was, it was loose and my car some time will boost good then boost horrible. I will try the boost leak check like you said. Dont knw if this will help, but hope every thing works out for you.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Just in case anyone is interested. Clutch actually was slipping so I got it changed out, yet the car was still acting up afterward. One day I get a CEL and turned out one of the hoses to the egr valve had popped off. Zip tied it back up and bam, the car feels like new and it always performs great now, even in the hot florida weather with the ac on
Old Apr 13, 2016, 04:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 346 Likes on 262 Posts
Interesting. Must have been a major vacuum leak!

-pal215
Old Apr 14, 2016, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I bought a used WRX with 17K miles. The thing was a dog but I didn't care, it was my wife's car and she never hammers it anyway. I thought if this is a Subaru with a turbo I'd hate to have one without. At 50K a power steering hose sprung a leak. When replacing the hoses I discovered a clamp between the air box and turbo was loose. Since then this has been a different car. It never set a check engine light.