Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

NEW MEMBER NEW EVO 9 OWNER :) :cool:

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2016, 01:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rossi_24
Yea the car was one owner and had about 8 services done on it for oil changes and 2 recalls , he did Greddy Ti full exhaust with aftermarket o2 and a Wally 255 pump , also a Muse short route UIC and ETS intercooler and a hallman MBC , nothing wrong with the car clean car fax just some very small minor hail damage that's hardly noticeable . I'm dying up here in Pa because I can't wait to get it back out again . It's amazing how a 3rd gear pull will bring you to 80 in no time these cars are amazing , took me about 10 years to finally get one at 28 years old , enjoy it , love it , respect it
So just tasteful mods not bad! Yeah i hear you and although my current route to work sucks because chicago has been so horrible and lazy with fixing the roads as it's already making me think about getting 3-4g car soon so i can just use that for work. The car pulls up quick. And i know what you mean, im 26 and finally got it. Like the other poster said, we made it lol. I am going to baby forsure.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jonno99
You are like the Rocky of Evo's lol congrats, you payed alot but you got a car that will last along time now. Don't paint the stone chips yourself unless you know what you are doing, I've seen some terrible patch up jobs on stone chips, I've got 3m vinyl wrap on my front that's years old when I bought it, so I am to scared to get it removed lol also ask questions and do lots of reading before you spend lots on modding, there's lots of mod regrets out there, learn about ecuflash if you like to DIY too, good luck bro
LOL that is so funny as some people say i talk like Rocky at times lol. I did pay alot but i just felt like enough is enough and just knew it was time and the right one for me. I am not planning to do any mods right now because i'm still looking into building my future right now and seeing what to do with my finance degree lol. I will not be doing any paint myself. The car will be going into detailing as soon as the snow is done here. Those were just my future mods wishlist lol. I will read alot on them before i do anything crazy. That is a smart idea of vinyl wrapping the hood to avoid those rock chips lol. The car def needs detail inside as i think the old man had a dog cuz i noticed scratches that can't be human fingers lol and some dog hair on the doors.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

Congrats on a great find!! As noted by my car as well, Minnesota does have a few clean Evos left!

My story is similar to yours, as I knew what I wanted, bid my time and waited. It took almost 3 years to find my wicked white IX. I never thought I'd find one in this state, but I certainly did! It had 31k miles on it, was modded tastefully, taken care of… so I bought it and couldn't be happier with it!

The big difference however, is prior to picking up my Evo I picked up a 99 Honda Civic Si so that I could learn to drive a manual, as I too had never learned how to. After a few years of driving my Civic on and off, I felt I was ready for the Evo. I still have that Civic as it's currently at 8,500 miles.

I've had my Evo for a little over 3years now and have slightly modded it a bit more, and I've done my own detailing on the car to make it what it is today.

Name:  Evo4-1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  69.9 KB

Name:  DSC09464_zpsc791bc03.jpg
Size:  41.8 KB

Name:  Evo-spring2_zpsd23eb859.jpg
Size:  57.8 KB

Congrats on a great pickup and congrats on your future with the car… look forward to seeing it grow to it's great potential!
Old Mar 4, 2016, 03:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That wicked white is gorgeous damn man awesome find for you as well , can't wait to get my car back out and start wrenching on it for no reason lol
Old Mar 4, 2016, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by MCPunk79
Congrats on a great find!! As noted by my car as well, Minnesota does have a few clean Evos left!

My story is similar to yours, as I knew what I wanted, bid my time and waited. It took almost 3 years to find my wicked white IX. I never thought I'd find one in this state, but I certainly did! It had 31k miles on it, was modded tastefully, taken care of… so I bought it and couldn't be happier with it!

The big difference however, is prior to picking up my Evo I picked up a 99 Honda Civic Si so that I could learn to drive a manual, as I too had never learned how to. After a few years of driving my Civic on and off, I felt I was ready for the Evo. I still have that Civic as it's currently at 8,500 miles.

I've had my Evo for a little over 3years now and have slightly modded it a bit more, and I've done my own detailing on the car to make it what it is today.

Congrats on a great pickup and congrats on your future with the car… look forward to seeing it grow to it's great potential!
Originally Posted by Rossi_24
That wicked white is gorgeous damn man awesome find for you as well , can't wait to get my car back out and start wrenching on it for no reason lol
Wow similar story to mine. And we both found ours in the same state lol. Looking back at it now, i mean i could've settled for some that had tasteful mods, but i just wanted one close to stock as possible to make it MY OWN project with MY tastes you know? Consider yourself lucky because two great evo 9s that passed me up and were sold quickly were GG MR SE, but had a theft and then recovered title. And a WW 9 MR which i hear is really rare. I really wanted the white one because it looks great with tints and nice set of great quality HIDs. But you got a good clean one with low miles. Here in Chicago, we rarely see clean evos. They are all modded and it is like one in a blue moon we see one every now and then. So i opened up my options and started looking over 500 miles range lol and found that one in Minnesota. Before i called, there were 5 people looking at it and this poor guy from Seattle was paying to ship it there but for MY LUCK, the guy sold it to me because he said Chicago is only 5.5 hours away and I'd rather sell it to you because you did all the paper work, loan application, and gave him$1000.00 security deposit. Everything fell into it's place it was like true love as this car continued to mess with my head and you hear that stupid cliche if it is true love let it go, if it comes back then it's yours lmaooooo well, the Evo continued coming back to me and kept dreaming about it. LOL. But thanks to everyone who took the time to read this and give me the thumbs up. Great place and great people on here for sure. If you dont mind me asking, why tools do you need to do your own detailing? And would you recommend a newbie to do it themselves?
Old Mar 4, 2016, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
welcome to the family.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Blackgloves89
Wow similar story to mine. And we both found ours in the same state lol. Looking back at it now, i mean i could've settled for some that had tasteful mods, but i just wanted one close to stock as possible to make it MY OWN project with MY tastes you know? Consider yourself lucky because two great evo 9s that passed me up and were sold quickly were GG MR SE, but had a theft and then recovered title. And a WW 9 MR which i hear is really rare. I really wanted the white one because it looks great with tints and nice set of great quality HIDs. But you got a good clean one with low miles. Here in Chicago, we rarely see clean evos. They are all modded and it is like one in a blue moon we see one every now and then. So i opened up my options and started looking over 500 miles range lol and found that one in Minnesota. Before i called, there were 5 people looking at it and this poor guy from Seattle was paying to ship it there but for MY LUCK, the guy sold it to me because he said Chicago is only 5.5 hours away and I'd rather sell it to you because you did all the paper work, loan application, and gave him$1000.00 security deposit. Everything fell into it's place it was like true love as this car continued to mess with my head and you hear that stupid cliche if it is true love let it go, if it comes back then it's yours lmaooooo well, the Evo continued coming back to me and kept dreaming about it. LOL. But thanks to everyone who took the time to read this and give me the thumbs up. Great place and great people on here for sure. If you dont mind me asking, why tools do you need to do your own detailing? And would you recommend a newbie to do it themselves?

I actually passed on a GG IX SE as well during my search… miles were actually too high for my liking at 50k and it was too heavily modded. It's actually an interesting story about my pickup as well… I test drove my Evo in Brooklyn Park, MN. (a suburb of the Twin Cities) on my way to the Ford Nationals in Carlisle, PA. and on the way I stopped at Oak Lawn Mazda in Chicago to look at a handful of Evos they had in stock. The cars were all in AWFUL condition, and had all been obviously beaten on. They had maybe 5-6 of them, and I wouldn't have touched any of them… but it wouldn't have mattered, as I had put a 500 dollar deposit on the IX I found in Brooklyn Park. I picked the car up 5 days later when I returned from the Ford Nationals car show.

If you're serious about detailing… watch some videos on YouTube from Chemical Guys. They have a TON of "how to" videos on literally everything. I say get yourself a good dual action polisher with some foam cutting pads. With a good DA and foam pads it's next to impossible to harm your paint, and the results will SHOCK you the first time you try it. There are also some great detailing forums as well, like AutoGeek… they have loads of help as well!

Good luck!!!
Old Mar 5, 2016, 09:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great man, I wanted a Black IX before I found a good deal on a X. Good find!
Old Mar 5, 2016, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by MCPunk79
I actually passed on a GG IX SE as well during my search… miles were actually too high for my liking at 50k and it was too heavily modded. It's actually an interesting story about my pickup as well… I test drove my Evo in Brooklyn Park, MN. (a suburb of the Twin Cities) on my way to the Ford Nationals in Carlisle, PA. and on the way I stopped at Oak Lawn Mazda in Chicago to look at a handful of Evos they had in stock. The cars were all in AWFUL condition, and had all been obviously beaten on. They had maybe 5-6 of them, and I wouldn't have touched any of them… but it wouldn't have mattered, as I had put a 500 dollar deposit on the IX I found in Brooklyn Park. I picked the car up 5 days later when I returned from the Ford Nationals car show.

If you're serious about detailing… watch some videos on YouTube from Chemical Guys. They have a TON of "how to" videos on literally everything. I say get yourself a good dual action polisher with some foam cutting pads. With a good DA and foam pads it's next to impossible to harm your paint, and the results will SHOCK you the first time you try it. There are also some great detailing forums as well, like AutoGeek… they have loads of help as well!

Good luck!!!
Originally Posted by CheMixed
Looks great man, I wanted a Black IX before I found a good deal on a X. Good find!
Mcpunk: I can understand and def see where you are coming from to find clean evo 9s with just a little tasteful mods. Oak Lawn Mazda, I dont even want to get started on them lol. Such a horrible experience and all their evos were beat like you said and modded in ways i just stayed away. I turned some on and the evo was just choking and one that was misfiring. The salesman was like oh yeah, it's normal these cars havent been on for awhile. I was like yeah right sure lol. The other one he said yeah that is the ecu recall that mistu called on these and i was like dude stop..lol some bs stories. I have checked those guides and youtube videos before on detailing! I just want to take care of the rock chips first and then get the 3M carbon fiber wrap that was suggested here to prevent future chips. I was just paranoid about the DA polisher and swirl mark remover was going to damage it. Since it was an old man that owned this, he had the wing off before they sold it to me and luckily for me he gave it to the dealership cuz i love that wing and will never take it off lol. So with the wing off, it looks like he never hand washed it since i know MN can be just as cold if not colder than chi. So i am assuming he took it to those machine washes that eff up your paint lol. So i need to remove the swirls cuz my acura had better paint job cuz i always hand washed it either myself or at the hand wash places.

Chemixd: Thanks bro. I was ready to settle for the X but luckily for me, this popped up lol
Old Mar 5, 2016, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
3m Clear vinyl bro, it comes in templates for each panel, you chose the panels. It does yellow after a few years but on black you can't notice it at all. I wouldn't do it on white. You also don't want places that trim it with razor knives, as they can cut the paint and you won't find it till years later. So ask question before you give it to someone to do
Old Mar 7, 2016, 07:11 AM

Thanks Jonno99, i will def keep that in mind. I am not looking to do anything until i start getting some extra cash lol. So as of right now, i will be driving it bone stock and it still drives nice and sounds great stock. Sorry guys i couldn't post any pictures, i never had the time to wash it and i dont want to upload the pictures of the evo looking dirty lol
Old Mar 7, 2016, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually have had a very similar story. I saved for a bout a year and a half and took about 2 and a half years to find the right one because I knew the evo I wanted wasn't going to be cheap or easy to find. I wanted one with no more then 50k miles. we went through 3 evos before I finally found my unicorn. last year I managed to get a red 05 MR which was the first year of the MR in the states and only one thousand were made. it had only 11k miles and completely bone stock. I have a daily and living in Ohio I would never want it to ever see snow being as rare as it is plus that way it stays mint and doesn't rack up the miles just from daily commute to work. it'll be coming out of storage in the next month or so. I also had very little manual experience but I got the hang of it pretty quick.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by B Roharik
I actually have had a very similar story. I saved for a bout a year and a half and took about 2 and a half years to find the right one because I knew the evo I wanted wasn't going to be cheap or easy to find. I wanted one with no more then 50k miles. we went through 3 evos before I finally found my unicorn. last year I managed to get a red 05 MR which was the first year of the MR in the states and only one thousand were made. it had only 11k miles and completely bone stock. I have a daily and living in Ohio I would never want it to ever see snow being as rare as it is plus that way it stays mint and doesn't rack up the miles just from daily commute to work. it'll be coming out of storage in the next month or so. I also had very little manual experience but I got the hang of it pretty quick.
It is nice to know that i was not the only one struggling to get this car while working part time, saving, finishing school, and looking for a clean close to stock evo 9 mr lol. You got yourself a mint very very low mileage one! I wish i could have the extra cash to get another car and use this evo in non rain/snow conditions. I would love to keep it low mileage as i am looking to keep this for awhile and make it my own project. But the evo 8 MR's are rare in general but the red ones, i rarely found. Even the evo 9 Mrs. That red is really really nice. But one thing i heard about the evo 8 mrs vs evo 9 mrs, again idk how true this is, but the 9 mrs, mitsu made the turbo bigger? or the turbo cooler is better on the 9 mr than 8 mr? Idk how true that is?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow!!

That is one hell of a find!! Sadly we don't have many clean IXs down south and it took me a good minute to find mine for a reasonable price and close to stock. Enjoy!

Can't wait to see the progress!
Old Mar 8, 2016, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Congrats. I have a black mr se as well. Learned to drive manual on it too. Take good care of it.

Quick Reply: NEW MEMBER NEW EVO 9 OWNER :) :cool: