Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Knock sensor ohms reading

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knock sensor ohms reading

I have had some trouble with the knock sensor in my car getting set off for quite some time now. I have gone though everything that could have set it off and nothing has changed. Now I'm wondering if it's just something in the circuit of the sensor so I am going to bypass it using a resistor to test if it still sets it off that way. So does anyone know what the ohms are to the knock sensor wire so I can get a resistor in that size? Thanks
Old Mar 19, 2016, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The knock sensor contains a crystal that produces electricity when vibrated. I know of no ohms reading. The ECU checks the knock sensor every half crankshaft rotation to see if the voltage has changed. No change means the knock sensor has failed or the circuit is open. The recommended shop manual test is to connect a meter to the knock sensor plug seeing if the voltage gradually increases with engine speed. Obviously, none of this will probably help if the sensor is over active. All I can suggest is replacing the sensor.