Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

ARF dips Rich during decel/off throttle

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2016, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARF dips Rich during decel/off throttle

I have been running into an issue with my 03evo.

I recently replaced a bad ICA (along with the throttle body since the bolts were rusted and stripped and couldn’t be removed) with a 05/06 evo throttle body + ICA. The car now is up and running fine but the issues I am encountering is that my AFR during deceleration, letting off throttle while still in gear and in between shifts are going pig rich (10.0-12) then full lean. Also when coming to a stop lights, sometimes the RPM will fall to about 700 and back to 1000.

At idle and cruise the car is reading fine (between 14.3-15.3 but usually at 14.7). I have not gone WOT yet so not sure what the AFR reading is for that.

The car was ecuflash tuned about 5 months ago and had been running fine until the original ICA went bad. Now would the change in the new throttle body and ICA cause the car to run that rich during deceleration,letting off throttle while still in gear and in between shifts? Is it normal for the car to go that rich (10.0-12.0) then full lean?

I have searched the forum and other sites with no real solution or answer. Also, I’m not sure if this is something to be concern about? Would the car having the rich dip cause any potential problems? Is it safe to drive since the car is my daily?

I have done a boost leak test and there was no leaks found. I’ve gone over all vacuum lines, ic couplers, etc. I’m running an Evo9 BOV and it is recirculated and clamps are tighten down.

Would a TPS being out of place cause this issue? (I will be checking the TPS setting once I can get a Multimeter since I don’t have access to ecuflash or evoscan)

Any inputs would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited by mister1161; Mar 29, 2016 at 11:14 AM. Reason: format
Old Mar 29, 2016, 11:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Who tuned it? They may have tuned around your old and possibly poorly functioning IAC valve. I would contact your tuner.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 01:35 PM

I thought that may be the case too. The car was tuned at boostin performance. I do have another tune scheduled in 2 weeks to have It retuned.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 06:54 PM

I checked my TPS setting today and it was off. With a multimeter, I adjusted it to .68 at closed throttle and the highest it would go was 4.89. I will have to play with it a little more to see if I can get it to 5.0 at fully open. But this has somewhat corrected my rich dip during deceleration and letting off throttle while in gear.

It still dips to 12 at the lowest but quickly goes full lean (---) and holds till I either shift into gear or get back on the throttle.

This should be okay till I go to my next tune session in 2 weeks.