Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Pending recalls for K members

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2016, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Update 8/16/16
Should have official documentation in a few days. Apparently this recall is not going to be based on visual condition from the sounds of it, but this time it is likely going to have a punch-through test or similar (check certain weak spots to see if you can drive a hole through it etc). That is the rumor anyway.
Hopefully by this weekend/first of the week we'll have full details.
The following 3 users liked this post by superbovine:
barneyb (Aug 17, 2016), gsrboi80 (Aug 16, 2016), xuberantz (Aug 17, 2016)
Old Aug 19, 2016, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Update 8-19-16

Alright guys, the meat is in.

Recall has been expanded to include 2003-2006 Outlanders too (previously expected to only cover 02-07 Lancer and 07-13 Outlander).

Official registration requirements:
Currently or ever registered in Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Washington D.C.

Letters are launching this weekend but there is no definite date of beginning. Replacement parts are not yet available in large enough quantities... sort of like the Eclipse recall delays last year, owners will be notified and told to expect another notification when parts are available.

Special exception #1: If you have a special case scenario (like your junk is falling apart), special exceptions will be made to expedite the process ahead of inventory replenishing. We are talking "unfit for the road" type conditions though.

Special exception #2: If you have a vehicle that was never registered in any of the states above,further action may still be applicable even though the vehicle is technically excluded. This would be a case by case basis to be evaluated by those higher-up than the dealership employees.

Official actions during inspection:
Vehicle will be visually inspected for signs of rust on the K member. If rust is found, it will be cleaned off.
Once cleaned, perforation will be checked. If the K member has any perforation (rust holes basically), it will be replaced.
If no holes are found, punch testing will be performed to check for weak spots (rust that has not fully perforated but has degraded the integrity of the part). If perforations are found, the K member will be replaced.
If no rust or no perforations are found, an anti-rust agent will be applied to the inside and outside of the K member.

Perforation inspection will be performed with a controlled distance tap of a drift to a precise location where perforation is most likely. This area on an Evo is just behind the LCA front mounting area. Controlled tap is a 1lb swing at 4 inches away, 5 times.

Again if it passes the perforation test, a rust proofing/anti rust agent will be coated on the member. There is a thin wax like protective coating for the exterior much like Endeavor fuel necks receive etc, then there is a different industrial type sealant that will be applied inside the K member at all manufacturing holes to fill the member until it is seeping out basically, protecting the areas where water/salt wash in but don't rinse out.

There is no indication that any reimbursements will be made on previous repairs for this recall (likely due to the severity being subjective?). That may change in the future, but for right now it is not even being mentioned.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
I received my letter in the mail today. I guess I will see how this pans out...I actually think I may have a couple tiny holes on the corner but that may just be how the subframe is bent and welded up from the factory.

It will be interesting to see what happens when LCA's are seized on there and how they rectify that issue. I just did my ball joints a couple weeks back so I know my LCA's come off easily bc I lubed the f**K outa the bolts so they wouldnt seize again, wahoo! But you kno my position on that.

Also, I have the Perin PSRS on there so I don't wana get charged extra for getting them back on with the spacers and stuff granted its simply if you know how to do it and pry the arm in the right spot. But it's the if its modified Ill get pinged for it.

And what about realigning the vehicle afterwards? Any mention of that for cars that have them changed? While I would like a new subframe I see this being more of a headache than its worth and see needing to spend out of pocket money. I mean I can't complain, Im glad they are recalling it but just seems like a headache.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 01:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
An alignment would likely be included if the subframe is replaced or removed..
Old Aug 22, 2016, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Yes, agreed thats the proper way to go about doing it but that doesn't always mean it will be...and I'd imagine the alignment won't be any good either so if I do it it'll have to be after the race season is over since i have my car aligned with me sitting in the driver seat. So just getting the car into the "green zone" doesnt quite cut it for me, lol
Old Aug 22, 2016, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Got mine in the mail today as well.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Normal warranty procedure for K member replacement includes labor for alignment as well.
Whether it actually gets done.... there are some total dikhole dealers out there according to many posts here, so I could believe it if they got driven for pulls/steering wheel position check, and if OK then let go. That isn't proper though.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
If the K member is the hollow black cross member thing under motor, I just slammed half a can of kill rust fish oil into it, once that stuff hardens it'll last for a hundred years same with the subframe tubes that you see when take the bumper off, pumped a heap down them, I ain't waiting for no rust to chow down on my little blacky
Old Aug 23, 2016, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just received my letter today.. I don't have much of any rust on my car for being from Buffalo and driving the car in one winter but I do have an issue with the the crossmember/subframe.. The bolt that goes into the subframe for my crossmember came out.. I haven't really messed with it to much but I think half of the bolt cracked off inside.. I wonder if there's anything this recall can do for that.. Would be nice lol..
Old Aug 23, 2016, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How long till this becomes a nationwide recall?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just got my letter today.

Maybe I should get this done soon along with the airbag recall. I just don't know if I can trust any dealers around me...
Old Aug 23, 2016, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sgambino92
i just received my letter today.. I don't have much of any rust on my car for being from Buffalo and driving the car in one winter but I do have an issue with the the crossmember/subframe.. The bolt that goes into the subframe for my crossmember came out.. I haven't really messed with it to much but I think half of the bolt cracked off inside.. I wonder if there's anything this recall can do for that.. Would be nice lol..
Hehe, no. Just as I outlined regarding the puncture test (or visible rust holes of course).

Originally Posted by vr4gasmtt
How long till this becomes a nationwide recall?
No plans thus far. However as I mentioned before the Endeavors started that way with the filler neck rust and was later turned nationwide. As well, some of us outside the rust belt states were doing support inspections on these to compare how bad "other" state vehicles were affected to determine if it needed to cover 50 states or not. Of course they don't tell us the results, but I can tell you that for the most part they were squeaky clean (surface rust at most).

Originally Posted by Kreeker
Just got my letter today.

Maybe I should get this done soon along with the airbag recall. I just don't know if I can trust any dealers around me...
Talk to people... odds are there is a "good" dealer within driving distance. If your local dealer sucks real bad, it would be worth it to drive to a better one than get impaled by air bag shrapnel
Old Aug 28, 2016, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Received my letter too. Shiny new free parts. Yes please!!
Old Aug 30, 2016, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Got my letter the other day as well. I really need to get the airbag recall done.... Don't want to deal with the crap of wiring though uhhgg
Old Aug 30, 2016, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Got my notice but I really don't want to bring my Evo to my local dealership. Besides there's no rust on my subframe since the previous owners kept it in a garage.

Quick Reply: Pending recalls for K members