Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

ticking noise + high knock count

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2016, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ticking noise + high knock count

hi, guys
I really need your help before start disassembling my engine.

long history short, the first time i started the motor it was making a ticking noise, i tought, it was lifter noise, after checked everything else was good to go i scheduled my tune appointment, in my first pull i saw 36 knock counts!! obviously we couldn't continue so since then i'm trying to find out whats happening with my car!

things i already checked and changed:
1) bleed oem lifters
2) installed gsc lifters
3) replaced injectors
4) exhaust leak
5) changed oil from 20w 50 to 10w 30
6) checked valve springs, rocker arms,caps and cams countless times
7) replaced knock sensor and checked torque spec
8) installed stock cams
9) checked timing marks and timing belt tensioner
10) cut oil filter found nothing
11) compression test is 189psi all 4
none of these solved my issue!

the ticking noise gets louder and faster with rpm increase so knock sensor is picking it and showing high count.
what do you think guys? I really appreciate any help you can provide

mods are:
Buschur 2.0L (300miles aprox without boost)
Curt Brown head with supertech springs
s2 cams
stock turbo
stock injectors
balance shaft deleted
exedy triple
etc etc

here's a video,log and timing map

Attached Thumbnails ticking noise + high knock count-log.png   ticking noise + high knock count-timing-map.png  
Old Jul 26, 2016, 06:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Get a mechanics stethoscope and try to pin point where the ticking is coming from.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nadevo
hi, guys
I really need your help before start disassembling my engine.

long history short, the first time i started the motor it was making a ticking noise, i tought, it was lifter noise, after checked everything else was good to go i scheduled my tune appointment, in my first pull i saw 36 knock counts!! obviously we couldn't continue so since then i'm trying to find out whats happening with my car!

things i already checked and changed:
1) bleed oem lifters
2) installed gsc lifters
3) replaced injectors
4) exhaust leak
5) changed oil from 20w 50 to 10w 30
6) checked valve springs, rocker arms,caps and cams countless times
7) replaced knock sensor and checked torque spec
8) installed stock cams
9) checked timing marks and timing belt tensioner
10) cut oil filter found nothing
11) compression test is 189psi all 4
none of these solved my issue!

the ticking noise gets louder and faster with rpm increase so knock sensor is picking it and showing high count.
what do you think guys? I really appreciate any help you can provide

mods are:
Buschur 2.0L (300miles aprox without boost)
Curt Brown head with supertech springs
s2 cams
stock turbo
stock injectors
balance shaft deleted
exedy triple
etc etc

here's a video,log and timing map

Evo 8 ticking noise - YouTube

I have the exact same tick from my evo 9 mr. i did almost everything in your list. i changed the lifters to itm lifters. i have been driving my car like this with no issues. other than maybe an exhaust leak and changing all the studs out with some rtv. i have no idea what else it could be. was told it had something to do with my 272 intake and exhaust cosworth cams but as you said you have stock cams on and it ticks.. that makes me worry now.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 07:16 AM

i think you are ok as long as you dont see any knock in your logs because of the noise, also cams makes the engine noisier. my tick is always the same with s2 cams or stock ones
Old Jul 26, 2016, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Get a mechanics stethoscope and try to pin point where the ticking is coming from.
i already did it, put the stethoscope on valve cover and oil pan, its audible from valve cover intake side
Old Jul 26, 2016, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

i think you are ok as long as you dont see any knock in your logs because of the noise, also cams makes the engine noisier. my tick is always the same with s2 cams or stock ones

weirdest thing though. last owner had 10w30 royal purple all the time.. i switched to 20w50 vr1 oil and the ticking started after that something like you posted up top. i later switched to vr1 10w30 oil and same ticking just like your vid
Old Jul 26, 2016, 08:52 AM
EvoM Guru

You should remedy the tick. It's clearly causing all that knock, and if you desensitize the knock sensor in the ROM so that it ignores the tick it won't pick up real knock.

You should try some OEM lifters. I've read a few things on here lately where the GSC's were taller than stock, which could cause problems.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

You should remedy the tick. It's clearly causing all that knock, and if you desensitize the knock sensor in the ROM so that it ignores the tick it won't pick up real knock.

You should try some OEM lifters. I've read a few things on here lately where the GSC's were taller than stock, which could cause problems.

the point of aftermarket lifters is the opening on the top is much larger, in this case i doubt the lifters is the issue as i had oem lifters with my car ticking. I took them out, bled them properly, did the whole rpm procedure. Same tick. later switched to itm lifters. same procedure. lol and the same tick. maybe this is only my issue could be yours is different but i have the exact same noise you have with rpm it climbs just as yours . i was told the mivec cam has a spring in it of some sort that causes the tic but seeing as you have the evo 8. id like to see how this thread is resolved

edit [ there's been numerous people switching from Oem to zero tick gsc and had great results ]
still went with itm as awd performance suggested them instead.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

rod knock?

To me it sounds like bolts are loose on one of your connecting rods. This can be unseen to the naked eye. You could end up with a spun bearing if that hasn't happened already. I know you heard noise on the valve cover but sounds travels weird. Try listening on the crank pulley if you can.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:50 AM

yes i also think the tick is causing all the knock, i increased the knock multipliers and did nothing the knock count still there. Before i installed the gsc lifters i cleaned and bleed the oem lifters
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by BlackHawk_Tsi
To me it sounds like bolts are loose on one of your connecting rods. This can be unseen to the naked eye. You could end up with a spun bearing if that hasn't happened already. I know you heard noise on the valve cover but sounds travels weird. Try listening on the crank pulley if you can.
i tought maybe a rod knock but its a pitch noise, seems rod knock its more like a hammer, anyway i will remove the pan
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by DanielM
the point of aftermarket lifters is the opening on the top is much larger, in this case i doubt the lifters is the issue as i had oem lifters with my car ticking. I took them out, bled them properly, did the whole rpm procedure. Same tick. later switched to itm lifters. same procedure. lol and the same tick. maybe this is only my issue could be yours is different but i have the exact same noise you have with rpm it climbs just as yours . i was told the mivec cam has a spring in it of some sort that causes the tic but seeing as you have the evo 8. id like to see how this thread is resolved

edit [ there's been numerous people switching from Oem to zero tick gsc and had great results ]
are you geting any knock count under load? feel the car slow? i know mivec cam can be a pain sometimes.
i will update as soon i resolve this, hate when people solved the issue and dont update
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by DanielM

My car doesn't make ticking noises.

I simply said I've read of issues with the GSC lifters, it's very possible you had a bad OEM lifter, and you then switched to a GSC lifter that is still causing a problem.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

are you geting any knock count under load? feel the car slow? i know mivec cam can be a pain sometimes.
i will update as soon i resolve this, hate when people solved the issue and dont update

car feels perfect. runs perfect holds boost perfect. i might take it to ag autosports down here in florida.

hopefuly you find the issue before i take the car in so i dont waste whole lot of money.

Last edited by DanielM; Jul 26, 2016 at 01:48 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

My car doesn't make ticking noises.

I simply said I've read of issues with the GSC lifters, it's very possible you had a bad OEM lifter, and you then switched to a GSC lifter that is still causing a problem.

Maybe

Quick Reply: ticking noise + high knock count