Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 or 9?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2016, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 or 9?

Hi guys, I'm planning to buy an Evo to replace my current car and having decided that I don't want an Evo X, I was wondering which Evo I should get. Stuck between either the 8 or the 9 as I don't want anything older. Just wondering on the differences that may make one better (If any) before I decide. Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
IXs have MIVEC on the intake side and a larger turbo. Looks are subjective. IX Enkeis are slightly lighter. IX wing is lighter, VIII wing is full CF. An VIII would be cheaper, IX would be newer. Early VIIIs don't have ACD. VERY early VIIIs have a (useless IMO) intercooler sprayer.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Clean IX's are fetching a premium these days. But if you don't mind paying the extra $, the IX is the way to go (Mivec, better looking front bumper, and nicer seats).
Old Aug 9, 2016, 08:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
As nemsin said, the 9 is the way to go since it has ACD and MIVEC if you're looking at it from a performance stand point. The 9 front bumper also looks better, and it has nicer seats (just the material).

However, if you just want an Evo for the sake of having an Evo, any clean example of the car will do you fine. If you find a 2005 8, it will have the ACD, but no mivec. Arguably, an 03-04 without ACD and without MIVEC would be a little more reliable as the ACD and MIVEC stuff does occasionally have problems in the 2005 8 and the 9's.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
my evo 8 all 92k miles so far i have only encountered a bad map and maf sensor.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
If you have the money a 9, if you don't a 8
Old Aug 9, 2016, 07:16 PM

Thanks for the replies, I'll be looking for an Evo 9 then.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 06:13 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
yea i say if you can get a IX. just do your research when you find one before you drop the $$$
Old Aug 11, 2016, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I'll sell you mine for the best of both worlds. 03 VIII with the seats, lights, wheels, engine and transmission from a IX. Mivec is there and the acd has been deleted.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 06:26 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
If you just want an Evo and aren't worried about extracting every bit of performance, buy an VIII and save a ton of money.
A guy I know has one and our autocross times are really close. Unless you are a hard core racer, you will probably never notice the difference. If you are, you will hate the VIIIs open front diff.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
As nemsin said, the 9 is the way to go since it has ACD and MIVEC if you're looking at it from a performance stand point. The 9 front bumper also looks better, and it has nicer seats (just the material).

However, if you just want an Evo for the sake of having an Evo, any clean example of the car will do you fine. If you find a 2005 8, it will have the ACD, but no mivec. Arguably, an 03-04 without ACD and without MIVEC would be a little more reliable as the ACD and MIVEC stuff does occasionally have problems in the 2005 8 and the 9's.
I agree, at first I wanted a 9, but then found an 8, which I ended up getting. I've had her for almost two years now, and I must say, having an Evo is IMHO amazing. Maybe one day I'll be able to get the seats out of a 9, but the Recaros found in an 8 are also really nice.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 07:47 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by GordonVIII
I agree, at first I wanted a 9, but then found an 8, which I ended up getting. I've had her for almost two years now, and I must say, having an Evo is IMHO amazing. Maybe one day I'll be able to get the seats out of a 9, but the Recaros found in an 8 are also really nice.
FWIW, i went from IX to VIII seats. I personally prefer the VIII seats because they feel more firm. My IX seats looked cool, but they were kinda soft and a little harder to keep clean. Just my opinion, though.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by kaj
FWIW, i went from IX to VIII seats. I personally prefer the VIII seats because they feel more firm. My IX seats looked cool, but they were kinda soft and a little harder to keep clean. Just my opinion, though.
Tbh, I didn't even think about that. One big thing that I was afraid of was the leather on them cracking. Thanks for the info on that. I'll always love that leathery smell in a car though.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 09:44 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by GordonVIII
Tbh, I didn't even think about that. One big thing that I was afraid of was the leather on them cracking. Thanks for the info on that. I'll always love that leathery smell in a car though.
I don't remember them ever smelling like leather. I assume it's real, though LOL.
128k miles with no cracking and plenty soft..
Old Nov 3, 2016, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, as everyone knows, "X" is a cooler letter than "V". Also, the little snubby piece in the middle of the bumper above the intercooler on 8s always bugged me. Glad they just opened it up on the 9. For those very superficial reasons, 9 got my vote.