Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo- no code no start issue

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2016, 05:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo- no code no start issue

After tons of forum reading and self diagnosing I'm posting here before I send the car back to the shop and open my wallet up.

Got the car back after being down for about 2 years. Ran like garbage- shop cleaned out the injectors. Car ran great- then I did an oil change 20w50 noticed the pressure was a little high- let some oil out, still ran great. Measured between the lines when cold.

Went to drive it last Friday got maybe 1000' when the car sputtered then died out. It will crank and turn over but then immediately dies with no codes.

Towed it back to my house and threw it on stands. Started checking to see if the car will throw other codes... Disconnected the cam and crank sensor- cranked it over- no codes. Disconnected TPS, cranked it over, threw a TPS code. Hooked it all back up and did a compression test. All good there. Got new plugs and gapped them at .020 threw them in after all clear on the spark test. Spark on all 4.

I have a fuel pressure gauge on the rail, got fuel. Could also see fuel on the piston when I was working on the top end.

I'm at a loss for what could be causing this without any codes. I have checked every sensor imaginable.

I ordered new crank and cam sensors just in case this ends up being the issue. The only thing I have not done is a leak down test but I feel that my compression is good enough from the test I did not to have to do this.

The one thing I did notice is that the IAT is saying its 35* F / 2* C however it definitely is warmer than that right now. Grabbed two new thermostats and they all meter around 2.5kohms with little to no variance. Maybe wire harness?

Another thing to mention is the MAP sensor is not registering on the diagnostics in the MAF line. It was replaced a couple weeks ago when the injectors were cleaned. It's an Omni 4bar MAP. Wondering if that's common for that table to be hidden?

Car is running e85, highly modified.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 06:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2 things. I would try to spray starting fluid to see if the car can run off that. If it does then i would try to replace that omni 4 bar sensor. When my sensor went it wouldnt start and when it did i wasnt able to drive it far. I was lucky enough to make it home and after replacing the omni with a new one car started up fine.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 06:43 AM

I'll order one today as well.

unfortunately the MAP sensor is located under the giant Magnus... Kinda hard for me to get my hands in there to work.

Thanks for the advice!
Old Aug 11, 2016, 08:08 AM

UPDATE:

Went ahead and started to relocate the MAP sensor. A pile of fuel was in the line on top of it.. 100% the reason the car would not run. Then I started looking for the reason there was fuel in there.

No fuel in the intake, no fuel in any other line. I found a T that is connecting my MAP to my FPR and viola, the membrane in the fuel pressure regulator gave way and started letting fuel into the vacuum line. Since the MAP was lower than the FPR, car no run.

So, what fuel pressure regulators does everyone recommend for e85 cars?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Good find! Fuelab would be a good choice.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 04:16 AM

Yeah that's what was in there. 51502-1.

Seems to be the standard for FPR's.

Back up and running. Feels good!