Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

No start/lumpy start/rough start....bad injector?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2009, 06:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No start/lumpy start/rough start....bad injector?

Hey guys,

Just last week I hopped into the car turned the key and didn't fire up like usual. Had to crank it about twice and it'll fire up. I brushed it off it was fine the next day. Now it started with that problem again, only instead of cranking it a couple of times, it would take 10, 20, and even 50 times to get it to fire up. However in between all those cranks, it would fire up and sputter, idle would hit 900rpm and drop and up again, then die out. Sometimes it wouldn't even do that at all. I thought it was the battery, since I was still on a stock unit.

I changed the battery, checked the alternator, which is fine. Still not starting up correctly. New fuel pump, and new plugs. As I was pulling out the plugs, I noticed one plug had liquid on it, I sniffed it and it was definitely fuel. When the car does fire up, the fumes reek of fuel. I've asked around and so many said it is the alternator. One friend said it might be a bad injector? Would this be the last and only culprit? What else would be causing this? Any help and info would be greatly appreciated guys. Thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2009, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So you didn't do anything to the car before this started happening?

Think back to the basics. You need air, fuel, spark, compression, all in the correct timing. Check compression, fuel, timing, etc. Something is off. Check all boost/vaccum lines/hoses.

It's not the alternator. Usually if your alternator is dead, you'll see the brake and battery lights together on the dash. If it was the battery, it would eventually die and stop cranking.

Edit: Check your cam angle sensor(s) and the wires/grounds going to it/them. I've seen them go bad before, and the car usually won't start if there's something wrong with them.

Last edited by JakeTheVIII; Dec 29, 2009 at 07:35 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JakeTheVIII
So you didn't do anything before this started happening?

Think back to the basics. You need air, fuel, spark, compression, all in the correct timing. Check compression, fuel, timing, etc. Something is off. Check all boost/vaccum lines/hoses.

It's not the alternator. Usually if your alternator is dead, you'll see the brake and battery lights together on the dash.
Nope haven't done anything to the car before this started happening. I'm getting spark, throttle body is opening. Can't check compression on my own, gotta bring it to a shop. I just wanted to try to solve this on my own, with some insight from here. I was told on another board that since only ONE plug was wet from fuel, it could indicate that it's a leaky injector.

The car will start after many tries, and stay on. It would then idle fine, and drives fine. A friend also mentioned that I'm running pretty rich and to change the oil, just did it. Fired up on the first try, let it idle for a few minutes. Shut it off, and tried to start it again. Back at square one.
The following users liked this post:
Tommyfacekicker (May 21, 2019)
Old Dec 29, 2009, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by geevolution
Nope haven't done anything to the car before this started happening. I'm getting spark, throttle body is opening. Can't check compression on my own, gotta bring it to a shop. I just wanted to try to solve this on my own, with some insight from here. I was told on another board that since only ONE plug was wet from fuel, it could indicate that it's a leaky injector.

The car will start after many tries, and stay on. It would then idle fine, and drives fine. A friend also mentioned that I'm running pretty rich and to change the oil, just did it. Fired up on the first try, let it idle for a few minutes. Shut it off, and tried to start it again. Back at square one.
Hmmm. In that case, it's probably not the CAS or any of that. It would run terrible if that was messed up.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

it may be something really stupid like a bad sensor
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

Dropped it off at the shop the other day. They pulled out all the plugs and said my engine is flooding with fuel. Haven't found the cause yet.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check your MAF
Old Dec 31, 2009, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Got word earlier today that it's the crankshaft position sensor, and also burned out the starter from trying to start it all those times. They thought it was the MAF as well, but it wasn't.
The following users liked this post:
Tommyfacekicker (May 21, 2019)