Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Should i make this trade? Evo X for Evo 8?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2016, 04:21 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Should i make this trade? Evo X for Evo 8?

Okay, so I just recently bought an evo X, has full bolt ons (Didn't put them on myself). I just found out the cylinder 2 has 80% compression, still runs and drives fine. I paid 15k (137k miles) for the car and I cant really afford a costly repair and I need the car because its my daily. I found an evo 8 with 113k miles, clean title, not that much mods, wing is sun damaged, and it was tuned at my local shop. The guy was looking for trades, so I offered my evo and I told him about the issue, he said he was interested he just needed time to think about it. If I was going to trade him, I would have my local evo shop fully inspect it and look for problems, I would ask him to add about 3k cash, and he would need to sign documents saying he knows that there is problems with the car. If he would agree to all that, would it be smart to trade him? If it was like 2-3k to fix my car I would keep it, but if they take the cylinder head off, I'm not going to have it back for at least 6 weeks and it could be a major problem, so should I not run the risk of a major problem and trade now, or do you guys think its something minor and not trade? If its over 4k-5k to fix my car I'm going to sell it. What would you do?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by JacksonEvoX
Okay, so I just recently bought an evo X, has full bolt ons (Didn't put them on myself). I just found out the cylinder 2 has 80% compression, still runs and drives fine. I paid 15k (137k miles) for the car and I cant really afford a costly repair and I need the car because its my daily. I found an evo 8 with 113k miles, clean title, not that much mods, wing is sun damaged, and it was tuned at my local shop. The guy was looking for trades, so I offered my evo and I told him about the issue, he said he was interested he just needed time to think about it. If I was going to trade him, I would have my local evo shop fully inspect it and look for problems, I would ask him to add about 3k cash, and he would need to sign documents saying he knows that there is problems with the car. If he would agree to all that, would it be smart to trade him? If it was like 2-3k to fix my car I would keep it, but if they take the cylinder head off, I'm not going to have it back for at least 6 weeks and it could be a major problem, so should I not run the risk of a major problem and trade now, or do you guys think its something minor and not trade? If its over 4k-5k to fix my car I'm going to sell it. What would you do?
Do you owe money on your X or do you own it outright and what year Evo X?
What year Evo 8? What is the rest of the condition of it?

If the Evo 8 truly does not have any issues other than some minor cosmetic problems than I would say do the trade since being without a car for 6 weeks may be a serious issue for you on top of the repair cost. These seem to be your two biggest problems.

Honestly though... I would probably sell your X and just get a reliable daily driver and pick up another Evo down the road as a secondary car. I know this is expensive but so is constantly having to fix an Evo with problems especially when it is your DD.

When I bought my 2nd Evo, the previous owner did not take care of the car and I was constantly having to fix problems on it and it was also my daily driver. Between my 2nd and 3rd, I did not own one for about 4 years. I took my time and waited til I had the money aside where I could just own the Evo as a secondary car. You will be much happier that way trust me. But I doubt you will choose this option as it is hard to walk away from a car you enjoy so much.