Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What do you think of this no-drill license plate bracket?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2016, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
What do you think of this no-drill license plate bracket?

I'm tired of getting pulled over for BS reasons so I'm looking for a way to mount my front license plate. I would really like to avoid drilling my bumper.

I came across Universal Front License Plate Bracket which supposedly doesn't require drilling. I think it looks like a good solution, but I'm wondering if it would stand up at high speeds.

I'm also considering the Skene Design License Plate Bracket but it would require drilling.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 08:42 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
double sided adhesive in my experience is pretty unreliable. Its very susceptible to temperature related failure. A lot will depend on how well you prep the surface before application, and the quality of the adhesive. It also looks like that bracket would be likely to flap around a bit in the wind possibly scratching up your bumper. If you just looking for something to toss on for inspection and pull off after this would probably work fine, but i wouldn't use it all the time.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Mount looks interesting. Personally I was in the same boat a few years ago as I was sick of getting hassled by cops for something as stupid as that. They pull you over mention the plate and then start commenting about your exhaust being loud and next thing you know youre going back and forth with the guy. Yeah not fun.

Anyway, I ended up just double stick taping the plate no mount or anything directly to the bumper and its stayed on fine for a few years now year round in the summer heat and in the winter. Its been repeatedly high speed tested (on a track of course) and has taken a few cone beatings too and hasnt falled off yet. So I wouldnt overthink it. But as the guy above me mentioned like most things its all in the prep. I made sure to clean the surface down real well prior and used some 3m high strength tape.

The bracket does look cool but plates are very light. With that bracket you now need to hold on the bracket and the plate. Seems like overkill IMO.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 09:09 AM

On a side note about getting pulled over, I use to get pulled over a lot. I have never run a front plate, so they always had PC if they wanted to. I changed my attitude about the situation and started looking at it from a respect angle. I have a loud *** car so when i see a police officer i show them respect by keeping the RPM's low and my exhaust noise down.Haven't been pulled over in years. If you do get pulled over be respectful but realize the cops are in investigation mode and are fishing for information (Evidence) so don't get caught up in a back and forth with them. Simply greet them politely, let them talk, if they ask you any questions respectfully tell them you aren't willing to be interrogated without your attorney and if he has any questions he can contact your lawyer. They are always trying to get you to trip up and admit some kind of guilt, don't play that game when you can simply opt out.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
double sided adhesive in my experience is pretty unreliable. Its very susceptible to temperature related failure. A lot will depend on how well you prep the surface before application, and the quality of the adhesive. It also looks like that bracket would be likely to flap around a bit in the wind possibly scratching up your bumper. If you just looking for something to toss on for inspection and pull off after this would probably work fine, but i wouldn't use it all the time.
If the tape was on the front part of the bumper instead of the bottom part of the bumper I'd be less nervous because at least the wind force would be pushing the mount on to the bumper.

Do you think if I taped the plate on instead of using the bracket it would hold up to an inspection?

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Mount looks interesting. Personally I was in the same boat a few years ago as I was sick of getting hassled by cops for something as stupid as that. They pull you over mention the plate and then start commenting about your exhaust being loud and next thing you know youre going back and forth with the guy. Yeah not fun.

Anyway, I ended up just double stick taping the plate no mount or anything directly to the bumper and its stayed on fine for a few years now year round in the summer heat and in the winter. Its been repeatedly high speed tested (on a track of course) and has taken a few cone beatings too and hasnt falled off yet. So I wouldnt overthink it. But as the guy above me mentioned like most things its all in the prep. I made sure to clean the surface down real well prior and used some 3m high strength tape.

The bracket does look cool but plates are very light. With that bracket you now need to hold on the bracket and the plate. Seems like overkill IMO.
I have also thought about your solution as well. Do you think you will be able to remove the tape without damaging the paint?

In my latest interaction with a cop, the first thing he said when he came up to the window was I see you have tints on your car. This is despite the fact that all my windows were down AND I had removed the tints months before after the SAME officer gave me a ticket for tints. He then proceeded to say well I see your license plate isn't properly fastened. Then he came back with the no front plate ticket AND a ticket for inadequate exhaust and had the audacity to say "I thought the fart can fad was over". Yes my full titanium exhaust is a fart can. I asked him how my exhaust was inadequacy when I have a cat and my car passes inspection, and he couldn't give me an answer.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

On a side note about getting pulled over, I use to get pulled over a lot. I have never run a front plate, so they always had PC if they wanted to. I changed my attitude about the situation and started looking at it from a respect angle. I have a loud *** car so when i see a police officer i show them respect by keeping the RPM's low and my exhaust noise down.Haven't been pulled over in years. If you do get pulled over be respectful but realize the cops are in investigation mode and are fishing for information (Evidence) so don't get caught up in a back and forth with them. Simply greet them politely, let them talk, if they ask you any questions respectfully tell them you aren't willing to be interrogated without your attorney and if he has any questions he can contact your lawyer. They are always trying to get you to trip up and admit some kind of guilt, don't play that game when you can simply opt out.
I am very respectful.

What screwed me over this time (I think), was after he turned on his lights I had to go under an overpass to pull over and forgot to upshift so my car was louder than I wanted it to be.

I also forgot to tell him about my Uncle who is on the job...
Old Oct 17, 2016, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Kreeker
If the tape was on the front part of the bumper instead of the bottom part of the bumper I'd be less nervous because at least the wind force would be pushing the mount on to the bumper.

Do you think if I taped the plate on instead of using the bracket it would hold up to an inspection?
I just zip tie it on to the mesh when i heave to get inspected, go home and promptly remove it.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sucks how cops never pull over luxury cars that have no front plates.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Kreeker

I have also thought about your solution as well. Do you think you will be able to remove the tape without damaging the paint?
That I do not know. I'd say if removed after a short term you have a better chance vs long term affects. But if your issue is attention from the police with no plate then you'll prob be keeping it on for a long time anyway.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

I just zip tie it on to the mesh when i heave to get inspected, go home and promptly remove it.
How do people attach it via zip ties without scuffing up their paint?

Originally Posted by vr4gasmtt
It sucks how cops never pull over luxury cars that have no front plates.
It's the same thing with tints.

It's profiling there is no question about it. And when I say profiling I mean against the type of car, not the driver.

I guarantee if I was driving a M3 I would not be getting all the looks from police that I get.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 02:17 PM

I zip tie the plate to the mesh blocking part of the intercooler not going over the paint. Again this is just for inspection the plate is promptly removed.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Zip ties ftw. Chp will just chuckle and sign off.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 07:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
looks good