Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Next mods?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Next mods?

So my car currently has full bolt on with upgraded turbo stock cams. My goal is I want to build a good street car as I take it to mountain roads quite often. For suspension, I currently have bushings and rear sway bar and brakes are no name rotors (I haven't changed them since I bought the car) and hawk street and race pads. That's basically all the mods I have and probably so no name lowering springs. What would you guys suggest I should upgrade next? I was looking into the ohlins coilover but I need a bit of time to save up as I recently did all the bolt on and turbo but I don't want to be driving with springs that are not good. Should I get a new set of lowering springs for now and then upgrade to ohlins? Also, when I'm doing backroad runs, my brakes seem to lose power after 1/2-3/4 of the way in the road, which is about 35 miles long. Are those brake pads I mentioned any good? I know I probably should change those no name rotors to slotted. I'm looking at those stoptech slotted or Dba 4000. Please let me know thoughts. Thank you so much for your opinions!!
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Head studs and cams including springs and retainers if required by cam manufacturer.
The following users liked this post:
weeeeeeeeee (Nov 7, 2016)
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Also might wana upgrade to dot 4. Has a higher boiling point whichh causes brake pedal fade.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by 4b11slayer
Also might wana upgrade to dot 4. Has a higher boiling point whichh causes brake pedal fade.
What would you suggest to upgrade for the brakes? The rotors to slotted rotors? Is the hawk street race pads good enough? And would you wait for the ohlins or change the no name lowering springs with better ones while I save up for ohlins? It's hard to decide haha. Thanks !
MinusPrevious (Nov 7, 2016)
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:50 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by weeeeeeeeee
What would you suggest to upgrade for the brakes? The rotors to slotted rotors? Is the hawk street race pads good enough? And would you wait for the ohlins or change the no name lowering springs with better ones while I save up for ohlins? It's hard to decide haha. Thanks !
No need to go to any extremes when preparing your EvO for the twisties

A lot of us have kept it very simple when it comes to brakes. This recipe will be more than you will need for canyon driving (I have tracked my car many times using this but using CarboTech brakes on the track & using the ST's for the street)

1. StopTech street performance pads
2. SST lines (your choice of brand). I used Goodridge
3. Centric high carbon blank rotors
4. ATE brake fluid or similar high perf fluid

You can save for the Ohlins or get a set of Worx / Swift springs (stay away from the no name brands). Or look at Fortune Auto coilovers which are a lot less than the Ohlins
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
No need to go to any extremes when preparing your EvO for the twisties

A lot of us have kept it very simple when it comes to brakes. This recipe will be more than you will need for canyon driving (I have tracked my car many times using this but using CarboTech brakes on the track & using the ST's for the street)

1. StopTech street performance pads
2. SST lines (your choice of brand). I used Goodrich
3. Centric high carbon blank rotors
4. ATE brake fluid or similar high perf fluid

You can save for the Ohlins or get a set of Worx / Swift springs (stay away from the no name brands). Or look at Fortune Auto coilovers which are a lot less than the Ohlins
Thanks! It's just when I was doing runs this Friday, I noticed brakes were fading after around 1/2-3/4 way into the run and after that, I had to drive normally to cool brakes because they felt weak after. I was looking into the swift r springs, would you suggest to run it with stock stocks? Thanks again.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:59 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Thanks! It's just when I was doing runs this Friday, I noticed brakes were fading after around 1/2-3/4 way into the run and after that, I had to drive normally to cool brakes because they felt weak after. I was looking into the swift r springs, would you suggest to run it with stock stocks? Thanks again.
Yes, you are on the right track. The Swift R springs are very good as well as the Worx spring on the stock shocks. Unless your shocks are leaking or have a lot of miles you can stay w/them

You may need a brake bleed as the brake fluid may have over heated which will reduce pedal feel & performance.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Yes, you are on the right track. The Swift R springs are very good as well as the Worx spring on the stock shocks. Unless your shocks are leaking or have a lot of miles you can stay w/them

You may need a brake bleed as the brake fluid may have over heated which will reduce pedal feel & performance.
I think the ones I have on now are stock evo 8 gsr one. Very rough. I wanted to get the swift r springs but I searched and some people told me that if I run swift r with stock shocks it will kill my shocks very quick. Car is currently at 103500 miles. Thanks for always helping me btw!!
Old Nov 7, 2016, 01:20 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I think the ones I have on now are stock evo 8 gsr one. Very rough. I wanted to get the swift r springs but I searched and some people told me that if I run swift r with stock shocks it will kill my shocks very quick. Car is currently at 103500 miles. Thanks for always helping me btw!!
You have a few miles on those struts & I would consider a new set going fwd

But, You can run the Swifts on those struts w/no problems. The Swift R's have a spring rate of approx 6K front 6.5k rear which is a very mild performance rate

Make sure you look into the Fortune Auto 500s which will be built per your spec. MAP sells them here on the forum. BTW, I run their track coilover which is the model 510 w/swift springs
Old Nov 7, 2016, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Remember this is a evo not a civic.

The evo is well designed and the suspension is track ready.

Just put lowering springs on it and your good maybe some sway bars.

The struts on the evos are massive compared to a lot of cars.

I have megan springs and stock struts 146k miles.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the good info. I'll just google and search the suggestions you guys gave me and make a decision there. I think the previous owner put teins springs, which I don't really want those springs on the evo. If I do get swift springs, would those new blistin shocks be good?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 02:01 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Thanks for the good info. I'll just google and search the suggestions you guys gave me and make a decision there. I think the previous owner put teins springs, which I don't really want those springs on the evo. If I do get swift springs, would those new blistin shocks be good?
Yes, the Bilsteins would be an excellent choice coupled w/the the Swifts / GTworx springs
Old Nov 7, 2016, 05:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would highly recommend a set of MR Bilsteins. They are honestly pretty fantastic right out of the box. My suspension set up is completely stock, on the stock wheels with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, and I absolutely love the set up.

Ride is friendly towards your back and your passengers, cornering ability is great, and yet (at stock height) the car is extremely useable and can go anywhere, on all surfaces.

It is very difficult for a suspension set up to adhere to that many disciplines, but the MR Bilsteins do quite well.

The Ohlins are also a fantastic choice. Definitely expensive, but worth every penny. I've driven a IX with Ohlins, and the experience is great. The spring rates on that set up were pretty stiff for my tastes (not the standard Road and Track Ohlin's set up) but once you hit the back roads they were fantastic. There is a reason Pagani among many other top tier car manufacturers use Ohlin's dampers.

For a free mod, consider "Restacking" the rear diff. If you didn't know, the rear diff was assembled wrong from the factory for USDM Evo's for reasons of NVH and making the car more "idiot proof" for the American market as far as I understand it. The diff won't lock and provide power oversteer. Re-stacking the diff also seems to help the turning feel as well, in my experience.

Last edited by astral; Nov 7, 2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by astral
I would highly recommend a set of MR Bilsteins. They are honestly pretty fantastic right out of the box. My suspension set up is completely stock, on the stock wheels with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, and I absolutely love the set up.

Ride is friendly towards your back and your passengers, cornering ability is great, and yet (at stock height) the car is extremely useable and can go anywhere, on all surfaces.

It is very difficult for a suspension set up to adhere to that many disciplines, but the MR Bilsteins do quite well.

The Ohlins are also a fantastic choice. Definitely expensive, but worth every penny. I've driven a IX with Ohlins, and the experience is great. The spring rates on that set up were pretty stiff for my tastes (not the standard Road and Track Ohlin's set up) but once you hit the back roads they were fantastic. There is a reason Pagani among many other top tier car manufacturers use Ohlin's dampers.

For a free mod, consider "Restacking" the rear diff. If you didn't know, the rear diff was assembled wrong from the factory for USDM Evo's for reasons of NVH and making the car more "idiot proof" for the American market as far as I understand it. The diff won't lock and provide power oversteer. Re-stacking the diff also seems to help the turning feel as well, in my experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnqq6jKjRzc
Do you know where I can buy a set of mr blistins? I actually did ride in my friends 9 mr and it was quite a difference compared to mine. Is there a place we can buy it new? I'm against putting used parts on my car.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by astral

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnqq6jKjRzc

Is this legit?

Quick Reply: Next mods?