Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I think i have a bad BOV spring

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2016, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think i have a bad BOV spring

So I recently had my 03 evo 8 tuned. its on the stock turbo and make 300/285 on 22psi. I have a older turbosmart bov with what appears to be the yellow spring (has small specks of yellow paint on the inside of the coils). but under 3/4 and sometimes full throttle I can hear the turbo spoil and then a big rush of air that sounds totally different than the spool as well as the turbo fluttering under throttle. I was thinking I have either a spring thats to weak, or just my yellow is worn out.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 12:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
If you have the wrong spring, basically whats happening is you have a spring rated for a certain vacuum, and you either pull more or less vacuum than what the spring is rated for, therefore, when you have a stiff spring, it flutters when you let off the throttle and do not make enough boost/vacuum on decal to get rid of that charged air, or the spring is too soft and can cause the valve to get stuck open at idle and suck in unfiltered air, this will cause lots of other problems as well.

as far as stiff springs go, makes you sound like a ricer ( but deep down we all love the sound) Overtime, this flutter can cause shaft play of the turbo since all the air that can not be dumped with the blow off valve escapes through the compressor wheel onto the air filter, therefore giving it that tututututu ricer sound. lol, cant believe I actually typed that. hope that helps ya man.

-Roni
Old Nov 24, 2016, 01:45 AM

Ok i understand what you're saying, but if mine BOV or spring is messed up, could it be cracking up open under high boost/WOT? because that's my last thing to check but my fox body is currently taking up all my jack stands so I can't really check
Old Nov 24, 2016, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
More than likely your spring is fine, -and your diapragm is more likely to be the culprit. This is not an expensive fix, you another bov and have ease of mind.

i have a forge adjustable bov for sale btw, $85 shipped
Old Nov 25, 2016, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by roni4g63
If you have the wrong spring, basically whats happening is you have a spring rated for a certain vacuum, and you either pull more or less vacuum than what the spring is rated for, therefore, when you have a stiff spring, it flutters when you let off the throttle and do not make enough boost/vacuum on decal to get rid of that charged air, or the spring is too soft and can cause the valve to get stuck open at idle and suck in unfiltered air, this will cause lots of other problems as well.

as far as stiff springs go, makes you sound like a ricer ( but deep down we all love the sound) Overtime, this flutter can cause shaft play of the turbo since all the air that can not be dumped with the blow off valve escapes through the compressor wheel onto the air filter, therefore giving it that tututututu ricer sound. lol, cant believe I actually typed that. hope that helps ya man.

-Roni

roni have a newb question I recently went with air desnity so my tial q is now an atmospheric one at idle should I feel any air coming out of it bc I do now not sure if thats normal
Old Nov 25, 2016, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by roni4g63
More than likely your spring is fine, -and your diapragm is more likely to be the culprit. This is not an expensive fix, you another bov and have ease of mind.

i have a forge adjustable bov for sale btw, $85 shipped

not to sound like a ttwat(this is my first evo/turbo car). iv taken it apart and there was no diaphragm to speak of