Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

evo not starting

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2016, 04:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
evo not starting

hi guys recently developed a problem on my ego 8, turn the key all electrics work as they should, battery is full and good as i tried jump starting it now when i turn the key i hear the starter click but doesn't turn, its defiantly clicking as i had a mate turn the key while i had my hand on the starter and it clicked but isn't cranking. So i replaced the starter for a brand spanking new one and much to my grief same damn problem it clicks but doesn't turn.

i also removed the ignition switch and tried turning it fully with a screw driver while it was out and it made no difference, i only removed it as some folks had the switch worn out but mine does not make a difference, but i can see a spark when i turn the key from this switch could this be a sign of a faulty switch??

can the relay being faulty also cause this?
Old Dec 12, 2016, 04:16 PM

worth mentioning i can push start the car no problem
Old Dec 12, 2016, 04:17 PM

im loosing sleep at night
Old Dec 12, 2016, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its your ignition. the right side of the ignition on the steering column isnt making proper contact. move it around and youll see it turn on. you can tighten/re position the harness.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 04:41 PM

Thanks man i thought it was the ignition so i removed it and used a flat screw driver to twist it but its doing the same thing i see a spark though when the starter clicks is this normal?
Old Dec 12, 2016, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ive had this same ongoing issue since I relocated my battery to my trunk. Still have not figured it out. Ive tried starters, ignition switch, relay, still get same results. I usuly just turn the key on and off rapidly and it fires after a few seconds. Really embarrassing when in staging waiting to race hahaha
Old Dec 28, 2016, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by tsidrift1
Ive had this same ongoing issue since I relocated my battery to my trunk. Still have not figured it out. Ive tried starters, ignition switch, relay, still get same results. I usuly just turn the key on and off rapidly and it fires after a few seconds. Really embarrassing when in staging waiting to race hahaha
i fixed the problem, my positive terminal was slightly loose on the wire i tightened it up and it fixed the problem for good, just for safe measures i loosened it back up to check if it was the problem and indeed it was, when loose the starter motor would click and not turn and when tightened it cranks and started the engine.

id check the wire going from positive feed from starter to battery and the earth or starter motor as its a fault in wiring.