Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Boost leak test with smoke machine

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2016, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Boost leak test with smoke machine

Whatsup guys. I tried making a diy boost leak tester using the how to on this forum. Unfortunately it was more of a pita for me than I thought it would be. About half way through pressurizing the system, my plug popped off among other things that didnt go smoothly. Anyway, some time back i had some work done at a shop and they also did a boost leak test for me. What they did looked so easy, I am a bit skeptical it works well so I wanted to get some opinions. They basically had a smoke machine, and for what it looked like, they put the smoke into the input hose of my MBC and then plugged my turbo inlet. They didnt find any leaks at that time. Basically I want to know:

Has anyone else used that method?
Has anyone found where to buy a cheap smoke machine?
Does anyone know a shop that can do that in orlando or rent a machine to me?

I saw a thread on here about a guy trying a smoke machine at 15psi but he wasnt sure if it worked or not.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
You could just spray brake cleaner on any suspect hose connection to detect a vacuum leak. Don't get carried away and cause a fire. I never used a smoke machine but I don't think they put out a lot of pressure.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
I never used a smoke machine but I don't think they put out a lot of pressure.
Right On!
Most of the leaks I have seen on the Evos developed only after the entire air track is pressurized. Sometime it takes as much as target boost (+30 PSI my my case) to show up.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
No go with a smoke machine. It'll work fine to find pesky vacuum leaks but in my case when I find boost leaks almost always its something that start pissing out air at like say 15# and up. If you could pressurize the system then the smoke could work but at that point just use your ears and once you hear it a lil soapy water helps to pinpoint the exact spot if you want tell with your hand.

No need to reinvent the wheel here. If your DIY tester didn't pan out then buy a premade one online for the $30 or whatever they cost and call it a day.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
No smoke test is not sufficient.

It is not even over 1 psi if its a evap tester.

You need to pressurize intake,intercooler,charge pipes to target boost.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your boost leak tester popped off then you didn't have it tight enough, try T-bolt clamps next time. You do not need to pressurize the intake. You need to pressure from the turbo on. Your idea of using a smoke machine is complicating a simple, but time consuming, task.

1.Find a straight/45*/90* silicone/rubber coupler that fits the inlet of your turbo. If you have an aftermarket intake you may be able to use the coupler that came with it.
2.Find a pvc end cap that fits inside the coupler. Not the screw in type, the glue on type.
3.Drill hole in pvc end and install a tire valve stem, I use super glue and glue the stem in on both sides
4.Use a t-bolt clamp and install pvc into coupler, then clamp the other end of coupler on the turbo.
5.Pressurize system with compressed air, use soapy water to find small leaks. You will find big leaks easily.

I drill, tap, and install a 1/8 npt pressure gauge into the pvc end cap at an angle so I can see how much pressure is in the system as I fill. This way I can do it by myself without having someone watch the boost gauge and attempt to explain to me how slow the pressure is dropping when I stop filling.

If you need further help let me know.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
following spoolin98's advice is what I did and it worked. There is a How to on this forum. Found leaks at the throttle body and a couple loosened clamps. Method works, easy and cheap.