Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 9 GSR worth 23k?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2017, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Evo 9 GSR worth 23k?

Hey everyone

I'm in the market to buy another evo. I say another Evo because my X was hit by a DUI driver and wrecked my car. My insurance claimed it a total loss. Now I'm on the hunt for another one, now focusing on a 06 evo 9.

Does this deal sound good?

2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX GSR - $23500

cylinders: 4 cylinders
drive: 4wd
fuel: gas
odometer: 95000
paint color: white
title status: clean
transmission: manual

"I am selling my 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX GSR (Evo 9).
Yes, it is the desired White color, 95k original miles, no accidents, unmodified (stock), adult owned, all maintenance records for last 6 years, and I have clean title in hand.
I have a huge file of paper receipts for all synthetic oil changes every 3k miles from Mitsubishi dealership, transmission/differential fluid changes, clutch upgrade, aluminum radiator upgrade, window regulator, tires, etc.
Only 'mods' I have on my car are Enkei RPFs, Swift springs (to close gap for wheels), and Whiteline rear sway bar - still have stock rims and springs as well.
It took me a long time to find the cleanest, unmodified, white Evo IX many years ago - and now it's time for someone else to enjoy this car as is (stock) with no issues or modify it the way you want to beginning with a blank canvas.
I do not have the means to keep 2 cars or I would keep it forever.
First to offer asking price takes it.
There are other higher mileage, modified Evos out there if you're looking for a bargain or want to gamble with reliability, so please do not email me requesting lower price - low ballers will be ignored.
Serious buyers are welcome to contact me and we can schedule a meet if you're ready to buy"

Thanks for reading and for your input
Old Jan 5, 2017, 03:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
That is a reasonable price if it truly is an unmolested car. Starting with a stock car is nice IMO. Expect for the trans to show some signs of wear but the engine tuned well should still be fresh and in good shape.

Typically the nicer cars bring 20+
Old Jan 5, 2017, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Abacus
That is a reasonable price if it truly is an unmolested car. Starting with a stock car is nice IMO. Expect for the trans to show some signs of wear but the engine tuned well should still be fresh and in good shape.

Typically the nicer cars bring 20+
interesting. The 4g63 is still good even for this amount of miles, saying it is truly stock like he says?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 03:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Yeah. If its as clean and as stock as he says it is (and not returned to stock) Its worth around there. I would probably go in offering 20k though.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
It's about what one would expect to pay.

But I'm annoyed when people like that owner talk about how it is "unmodified (stock)" then they list "mods." Yes, they are just wheels and springs, but in my book, that is technically not unmodified.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 08:29 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Not with that mileage. And not with his loose use of "stock". Who knows what else is "stock"

I paid $16,500 with 113k. I wouldn't pay that much more for mid 90's.
That being said, it's worth what you are willing to pay.
​​​​

Last edited by kaj; Jan 5, 2017 at 08:34 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, but how long ago was that? The market is shrinking but the demand isn't.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Doesn't sound too bad. However if the only photo of the car is one taken at a far distance in the early morning or late afternoon there's probably something the owner is trying to hide (aka dings/dents or fading paint).
Old Jan 6, 2017, 08:28 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
Yeah, but how long ago was that? The market is shrinking but the demand isn't.
A few years. Either way, the car would have to be legit stock for me to pay that much. Not "stock". That's just me. I love these cars, but I love lots of cars that I refuse to over pay for: Supra, AE86, BNR32, (and soon to add Evo and S2000 to that list) etc. Again, that's just me. I love certain cars but have to draw a common sense line. I'm not willing to pay anything and everything for a car.

There are lots of Evos that are similar to the one OP posted, but for a lot less.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

But a few years makes a lot of a difference. This isn't directed at you, but people always talk about how they waited for the right Evo, and they found it, but it was five years ago. That kind of mentality is fine but potential buyers can't be sold this dream of the right Evo for the right price being out there, because they're so few and far in between, and it only gets worse. The "right" Evos are what everyone wants, and the people who already have them likely aren't letting them go, or they know what they have on their hands and won't let it go unless its for good money.

I've said it before, the dealership offered me "maybe $23k" in 2008 when I had something like 15k miles. And when I was back there in 2013 or so when it had closer to 70k miles, the GSM said he could sell my car for $29k easily by the end of the week if I wanted to sell it to them (and I'd presumably have gotten something similar to what I was offered years prior), again because of simple supply and demand.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
The trend I'm seeing currently is the "right" Evos are being sold at or near the seller's asking price. One could choose to wait forever and a day and shop around or just pony up and enjoy driving your brand used Evo.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 09:55 AM
kaj

But at the end, It's worth what you wanna pay.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 03:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
I've said it before, the dealership offered me "maybe $23k" in 2008 when I had something like 15k miles. And when I was back there in 2013 or so when it had closer to 70k miles, the GSM said he could sell my car for $29k easily by the end of the week if I wanted to sell it to them (and I'd presumably have gotten something similar to what I was offered years prior), again because of simple supply and demand.
Yep... economic collapse in 2008 definitely helped keep sports car values down. I wish I had had the foresight to buy an E30 M3, S2K CR, 996 GT3, etc before they all started coming back up

26k for a 26k mile truly-almost-stock car back in early 2011 here. No complaints.*

* except about Cosmo motors but that's a different thread
Old Jan 6, 2017, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

That reminds me, an uncle of mine said around then, he ha an opportunity to pick up a Ferrari F40 for $250,000. He had the money but it was still a big purchase that would have put a big dent in his savings. He regrets passing on it.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 04:42 PM
kaj

I used to know a guy that paid $250k for a 1974 Ferrari Daytona. Score.
He pisses off the Ferrari guys because he dailies it, including the trip from Hollywood to Monterey each year for Concours.

Quick Reply: Evo 9 GSR worth 23k?