Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Cranks, No Start, too much fuel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2017, 12:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cranks, No Start, too much fuel

Need help guys... Recently the evo became harder to start. I thought it was because of the cold weather we recently have but i dont think its weather related anymore. Car is on 91 oct and i never had this issue before. Have to hold down gas and keep cranking to get the car started. Wideband shows 10afr after it starts and when it idles for awhile it will go back to the 14-15 afr. I thought it was a the coolant temp or iac related. Replaced both and still the same. Car is too rich. As if it was flooded. Wondering if its the fic2150cc leaking? Going to look more into this by sending the injectors in to get them cleaned and serviced. Once i get it to start it runs fine. But if i shut it off and start it again i will have a hard time. If i drive it for awhile it will restart fine until i let it sit for a few hour. Ground is good. Battery is good. Let me kow what you guys think... Thank You
Old Jan 27, 2017, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Safely assuming your Evo has a tune. I would contact your tuner for assistance.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 01:53 PM

Yes tuned. Car was running fine. This just recnetly happened. I think its the injectors flooding. Stuck open or too rich at crank.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 10:11 PM

Found a way to start the car. I will need to pull the fuel pump relays and crank try to start the engine to burn off the excessive fuel. Then the car will run for a few seconds and eventually die. After that i put the fuel pump relay back and the car will be able to start and keep ideling. While its ideling i see the afrs slowly go back to 14-15. Im going to pull my injectors out to get serviced in case they have issues that should fix them. Will update after i pull them out to service. Brings back memories of them Rx7 Turbo II flooded days...
Old Jan 28, 2017, 02:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Check your timing. Had same issue with my 9, would almost start but just couldn't get it to kick. Thought I'd flooded it, pulled the plugs and they were wet with fuel, pulled the plugs out and layed them, one by one, on the shock brace with the coil attached and had good spark. Was stumped, had fuel and spark but still no start. I pulled the top timing belt cover and found that I'd skipped timing by one tooth on the intake cam. It was enough for the cam sensor to call a stop to proceedings apparently. Reset timing and she started up first crank and the car has been fine since.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 09:03 AM

I do have the clear cam cover. Will make sure timing didnt skip but i just did everything not too long ago. But thanks and i will look into it as well.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Your start up fueling tables likely need to be adjusted. Would I be correct to guess that you were tuned in the warmer months and you had a new rom used?
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:28 PM

I was tuned in the warmer months but i did not change anything after that. We recently have been very cold here in sf. But even on warmer days or in the afternoons it would not start as well. Going to take the injectors out and have them cleaned. Will see if that helps.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Was this resolved?