Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Joining the dark side

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Joining the dark side

hello everyone! Recently picked up a Evo IX SSL and joined the dark side as a previous Subaru owner/lover... now I've got some stupid questions since I am not used to the DSM world just yet so bare with me..

car is "pro tuned" (no dyno sheets) with full TBE, 272 cams, Walbro fuel pump and an intake that's about it, the test pipe is resonated and I would like to open it up a little with a straight test pipe, I plan on getting it re tuned by STM in the near future when I stock pile some goodies up but in the mean time since the car is "tuned" with a resonated test pipe is it a bad idea to put a straight test pipe on it without it being re tuned? I always go with the classic tune your car regardless but this seems minor if anything make it a little more rich? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also I would like to know if anyone thinks 1000cc injectors would be worth it on a stock turbo (for now) or if they wouldn't really benefit me until later when I upgrade the turbo as well.. any help is greatly appreciated
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:31 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
swapping the pipe should be fine, usually improving exhaust flow will lean it out a little bit. I swap back and forth between cat and no cat all the time without ever touching my tune. TBH though its probably a wasted effort swapping out a resonated test pipe to a straight pipe, you are likely not going to gain much if anything by doing so. To get the most out of a stock 9 turbo you need to upgrade the injectors, might as well get some that wont need swapping again down the road. 1000cc are good for a little future proofing, of if you decide you want to run E-85.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
swapping the pipe should be fine, usually improving exhaust flow will lean it out a little bit. I swap back and forth between cat and no cat all the time without ever touching my tune. TBH though its probably a wasted effort swapping out a resonated test pipe to a straight pipe, you are likely not going to gain much if anything by doing so. To get the most out of a stock 9 turbo you need to upgrade the injectors, might as well get some that wont need swapping again down the road. 1000cc are good for a little future proofing, of if you decide you want to run E-85.
ahhh okay makes sense to me, thank you very much for the input!