Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Right Side Gauge Cluster Lights Out and Dimmer Not Working

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2017, 09:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Right Side Gauge Cluster Lights Out and Dimmer Not Working

Hi all,

So I noticed when driving the other night that my gauge cluster doesn't illuminate the fuel or temp gauge. Only the speedo and tach are lit up.

I pulled the cluster to check the bulbs and when I moved the "burnt out" bulbs to a socket that was working, the bulbs all worked fine but if I moved a good bulb to the burnt-out side it didn't work.

Also, my dimmer switch doesn't seem to be working. Is this most likely a fuse or are their other gremlins going on?

I did search quite a bit but none of the threads I found seemed to detail exactly my problem.

Thanks!
Josh-
Old Mar 19, 2017, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you moved the "known good working bulb" to the non working spot and the gauges are still not lit up..... either the "wiring" under bulb (where it mounts to the cluster) is bad, or the cluster itself has an issue internally.

The wiring diagram shows that all the cluster illumination gets power and its ground from the same spots. Meaning, if it was a power or a ground issue, all of the cluster illumination lights would be inoperative.

As for the dimmer switch. It's nothing more than a variable resistance ground. If it isn't dimming, it's bad.

All of this should of course be checked out with a multi meter. You can find wiring diagrams for free at evoscan's website. I'm using Mitchel online diagram. Hopefully they are the same.

Good luck with your lighting issues.
The following users liked this post:
rosuegk7 (Mar 20, 2017)
Old Apr 19, 2017, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
make sure the bulb is touching the connections on the board, its probably what burned out the first bulb in the first place