Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Radiator Issue

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2017, 10:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Radiator Issue

So looks like I will be installing a new radiator. Drove car the other day and once parked in the garage could smell coolant. Investigated all hoses and saw no obvious leaks. Did however see coolant pooling up at the top of the radiator where the plastic meets metal which leads me to believe the plastic is cracked or the seal around the metal teeth has been compromised. Car is running normal temps however coolant reservoir level does fluctuate more than normal. Mishimoto radiator should be here on Saturday. Hopefully installation finds no further problems. Looking for reviews on the Mishimoto rad cap, wondering if I should give it a shot or pick up an alternative.
Old May 5, 2017, 01:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Get a diff cap. I went to 5 diff caps with mishimoto and all of them came out defective. I said **** it and put OEM back on. It's holding up fine but I haven't really taken the car out for a spirited run. Will probably get an alternative this summer. And my radiator doesn't sit flush at the top either...
Old May 5, 2017, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Rent a pressure tester and check the right way before just spending money
Old May 6, 2017, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
https://www.radiatorexpress.com/default.asp
Old May 6, 2017, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
Why go aftermarket Oem rep when you could go Aftermarket with quality?
Old May 6, 2017, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
That area (where plastic meets metal) is a common area for the radiator to fail and leak at. Mine did the same a couple years back.
Old May 6, 2017, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by 4G63_EVO
Why go aftermarket Oem rep when you could go Aftermarket with quality?
I wouldn't recommend it if I wasn't running it. Perfect fit, works great, cheap.

I just installed a spanking new transmission, to me that is quality. I have a thread on here where I describe my notchy driveshaft. I haven't gotten any quotes but I'm told one of those is big bux. On the other hand radiators with plastic tanks are very inexpensive. To each his own but I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.
Old May 7, 2017, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by 4G63_EVO
Rent a pressure tester and check the right way before just spending money

Totally agree with this I just have been limited on time. Luckily I got an amazing deal on a radiator so that will get replaced when I have time along with a pressure test of the system. Hopefully there is not any further leaks after the swap.
Old May 7, 2017, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Thoe99
That area (where plastic meets metal) is a common area for the radiator to fail and leak at. Mine did the same a couple years back.

Yeah I am almost positive that is the issue. What did you end up replacing it with?
Old May 7, 2017, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kwpilot
Yeah I am almost positive that is the issue. What did you end up replacing it with?
I actually had this problem with my first evo on stock radiator at 120k miles, I replaced with an ebay full aluminum and the new owner is still running it as far as I know!
Old May 7, 2017, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I splurged and got a CBRD ultraslim radiator with fan.
Old May 8, 2017, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Thoe99
I splurged and got a CBRD ultraslim radiator with fan.
******* that is a pricey ****
Old May 8, 2017, 10:02 PM

Well replaced the radiator tonight. After reinstallation of the UICP and intake I started the car up to "burp" the coolant system. Looks like I threw a CEL. No scanner on hand so I will have to wait until tomorrow. I'm assuming it has something to do with removing the intake but can't be positive. But on a good note no coolant leaks found and my garage doesn't smell like antifreeze.
Old May 9, 2017, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Well replaced the radiator tonight. After reinstallation of the UICP and intake I started the car up to "burp" the coolant system. Looks like I threw a CEL. No scanner on hand so I will have to wait until tomorrow. I'm assuming it has something to do with removing the intake but can't be positive. But on a good note no coolant leaks found and my garage doesn't smell like antifreeze.
Did you unplug the MAF? I usually do and forget and switch on the ignition and then it throws a code
Old May 9, 2017, 09:28 AM

Yes I unplugged it probably about two or three times for fitment issues with the UICP. That's why I thought this was the issue. Any guidance?

Quick Reply: Radiator Issue