Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Dumb Question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2017, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dumb Question

whats up guys, took my car for a drive having fun, and i went into boost and heard a knock or 2 at high rpms. im thinking about getting new pistons and rings. because i only have this car to drive i cant take the short block to get bored. would anyone recommend just putting new pistons in without sending the shortblock to get bored out?
Old Jun 24, 2017, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You could drop those in but, at that point it's just a better idea to get bearings and rods all together, u can always send in your shortblock as a core..... and 2 knocks? The knock might not even come from there...
The following users liked this post:
Evo_Nation71 (Jun 24, 2017)
Old Jun 24, 2017, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks, i heard the knocks at high rpms of 1st 2nd and 3rd gear. also sometimes the car hickups or hesitates while in boost at like 4.3-up to 7k rpms. but thats if i hit the gas hard. but if i ease into it it doesnt hesitate or knock all the way to 7k. what are some possibilities it could be? the knocking is new though. i usually just get the hesitation. i was thinkiing maybe bad fuel lines?. at first i thouht it could be spark plugs but i took them out and the gapping is good and they still look pretty fresh. maybe just a bad tune?
Old Jun 24, 2017, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I've owned my car since new and I've never heard it knock or ping. If you keep driving it that way you probably are going to ruin the engine. Stay out of the throttle until you can get it fixed.