Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I got my 9 for around 21k with 95k miles. Stock to the bone and checked out great.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Here is a Grey MR down in Utah (which isn't too far from you)
https://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/3726502
https://www.saltlakemitsubishi.com/u...edium=referral
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
I'd prefer to buy a car with low miles and in the best possible shape for what I can afford. Cars with lower miles generally have a bit less wear and tear vs. higher mileage cars.

That 9 above has been wrecked according to Carfax on dealer's website. I would rather not buy a previously wrecked ride.

Last edited by kpt6; Jul 11, 2017 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Autocorrect fail
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
20k more miles and an accident for same price. Yeah, that car is a great deal...
Old Jul 11, 2017, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So is an Evo 9 really that much more desirable? What is the great difference between the two that warrants the 9's pulling more coin for them?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Difference - Upholstery, indexed cam and front fascia
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by nemsin
Its easy to spend someone else's money. For my money, I would spend ~22K on a 9, then sell/swap the interior and BBS wheels, and end up back at 20K spent, with Mivec and a 9 front bumper to boot
The only thing I like about the IX bumper is it doesn't have the cone. I solved that with a nose chop.

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
There you go, spending someone elses money....
Old Jul 12, 2017, 07:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
id say 17k max
Old Jul 16, 2017, 03:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
People associate the Evo VIII with the 2003 model year I think. The 05 is closer to the 9. Has the 10.5 hotside turbo, front LSD, ACD, etc. Not sure what trim level the one you are looking at is though.

I'm a bit biased however lol
Old Jul 17, 2017, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
take it.. if u value the car more than the money, what makes it not worth it?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I say if everything checks out go for it. Though if you can only do this once get what you really want. I waited for my IX (had basic mods) and still have it today totally "evolved". Get the pun. I opted for IX since its the last year of that generation and wanted the SE which had all the cool extras!
Old Jul 22, 2017, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by kpt6
I'd prefer to buy a car with low miles and in the best possible shape for what I can afford.
The problem is that that is a cliche response. It's literally what EVERY potential buyer is looking for, regardless of the car. No one is going to say that they want a high-mileage, ****ty condition car for a high price. But to expect all of those together in an Evo VIII or IX is going to be a needle in a haystack, especially these days where the examples grow more and more scarce, unless the cars change hands but never get driven, which isn't the case. Mileage goes up. The conditions of the cars don't improve with time. So you're going to have to give up on one of those things, it's a seller's market if you have an Evo in good condition.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 01:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
The problem is that that is a cliche response.
So cliche of you to say that is cliche.

I guess I wasn't clear enough for you. I'll put it this way: For the same price, I would rather buy an 8 (especially an '05) that is in nicer shape with lower miles and that was better taken care of than a 9 that has higher miles and has obviously been beat like a drum. That's all I have to say on this matter.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
I see there are many people who prefer the 9 over the 8 . Well I am the opposite, I prefer the 03-04 VIII . I do agree one thing though that the IX seats are 100 times better than the VIII blue center seats. (Both look and feel) I have owned the IX and now currently own and 03 VIII . Here is what I dislike to have on my Evo which ironically some of you want for some reason :

ACD - I see it as another part that one day can fail . My IX was a daily driven including in snow and the pump failed at 39k miles. Although my current VIII will never see rain or snow , the chance of another pump failing one day vs benefit of ACD is not worth it to me. If you even notice Non ACD tcase has become more in demand and valuable as some people convert to non ACD tcase like I did with my IX. From what I read people who road race prefer it as well although you can tune the ACD now. Weight savings is another benefit with the non ACD , if your into that.

MIVEC - I prefer less complex systems and parts to worry about. When going big power MIVEC becomes less beneficial as it was with lower power for me. You might prefer otherwise or not care.

6 speed trans (MR model) - I dislike closer ratio 6spdcand there are reports of I think the 4th gear going out with higher power. If you don't have issues with your gears , good for you I don't want to start a debate. Search the forums at your own time regarding the 6 speed.

Non ABS (RS model) - I like having ABS , personal preference for a street car.

RS manual windows - I hate this and not worth the "weight savings" of having manual vs power windows. To me the RS is the least valuable Evo .

The list can go on ... other things include headlights. In 2003 HID and fogs were standard . Then Mitsubishi got greedy and only included it in SSL , SE and MR models. Also as a personal preference I like the 8 front bumper more than the 9 . Both with the nose or chopped look better than the 9 . I'm not sure about the front fenders for all years but mine are aluminum on the 2003 . Are other years GSR models also aluminum ?

So for the reasons above and many more not mentioned , non RS and non ACD Evo 8's with 5 speed are more valuable to me. I know the IX and RS have front LSD but that's something that can be added to non LSD tcase's. Also stock is not as valuable , depending on the mods it has that's closer to what I'm looking to have done, I find that more valuable. Don't you just love how people mod then return back to stock saying it was never moded ? As if we can't tell when the bolts show wear , missing tabs on the bumper etc...

Your question is difficult to answer . To me condition is worth much more than mileage on the car . I've seen the 20-30k mile evos and my 95k miles on the chassis Evo is practically brand new compared to those . im not sure if people are not taking care of their evos or are running dual gauge clusters . For example one they drive around ranking up miles and the other low mileage cluster to swap in and say "I have a low mileage Evo for sale " . Then there are the Piece of Sh*t out there that buy crashed evos with clean titles or get in accidents and fix it under the radar calling it a "clean title " car. Car fax is not as helpful as you may think .

Last edited by BluEVOIX; Jul 24, 2017 at 09:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
barneyb (Jul 25, 2017)
Old Jul 24, 2017, 08:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
17-20k seems to be the norm for that mileage in decent condition in the NW. If the car is worth it to you and is the most convenient that's what should matter most.

Quick Reply: Evo 8 worth it?