Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2017, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
I do agree one thing though that the IX seats are 100 times better than the VIII blue center seats. (Both look and feel)
I own both 8 and 9 SE seats and when I get bored with one set I swap to the other. I can't find a 100 times worth of difference. There's barely any difference. In my opinion the 9 seat looks better and the 8 seat is more comfortable. Other than that, this is the post I've been wanting to make but figured no one would agree.

People with RS models prize them for maybe their rarity. But you are giving up a lot for minuscule weight savings.

"RS deletes from the base model (aka GSR): audio system, ABS, rear wing, power windows, power locks, power mirrors, sound deadening, trunk-compartment trim, rear wiper, map lights, rear assist handles, parking-brake handle leather, center-console lid, and keyless-entry system. The door mirrors and handles are black instead of body-colored. RS adds front LSD and aluminum roof."

Actually, the rear wing was an option most dealers installed.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

ACD - I see it as another part that one day can fail ...
RS manual windows - I hate this and not worth the "weight savings" of having manual vs power windows. To me the RS is the least valuable Evo .
Are other years GSR models also aluminum ?
But power windows can fail like ACD...

To many the RS is indeed the most valuable Evo. All personal preference though.

Car fax is not as helpful as you may think .
However they are smart to buy because they have good info sometimes and can save you a lot of money.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
Actually, the rear wing was an option most dealers installed.
Not true if you're talking about the RS.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
If you are buying a street car and plan to daily it get the creature comforts. But even stock the evo is not exactly a comfortable car... It comes down to what you plan to do with the car. If you are building a drag car for example an 03/04 evo8 might be better. No MIVEC, no ACD etc. Mivec I dont think matters much when you are going for high boost high revs.

Most people buy these cars for performance. And the RS is the most raw version.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 05:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I want a DD with a light curb weight and about 400whp. I prefer the older evo then remove the wing to make it look as unassuming as possible.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by V.8MR
If you are buying a street car and plan to daily it get the creature comforts.
Creature comfort is climate control and where your butt lives. Any car has climate control if you keep it working. Fifty miles in my wife's WRX and my back is killing me. In my Evo - drive all day.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
I own both 8 and 9 SE seats and when I get bored with one set I swap to the other. I can't find a 100 times worth of difference. There's barely any difference. In my opinion the 9 seat looks better and the 8 seat is more comfortable. Other than that, this is the post I've been wanting to make but figured no one would agree.
Perhaps the seats are a matter of opinion and condition one has them. My IX seats (owned new to 49k miles) were more comfortable than my current VIII (from 55k mile Evo). They had more "cushion" to them. The fabric on my VIII is in good condition as well without any tears. But the Blue center section feels "rough" texture wise. I've sat in a couple more Evo 8's in the past and all were the same rough material feel and less cushion comfort to them.

Originally Posted by kpt6
But power windows can fail like ACD...

However they are smart to buy because they have good info sometimes and can save you a lot of money.
Gauge clusters can fail , Ecu , power locks etc... I was referring to costly power train or drive train components only . One less thing to fail in that area is a huge plus for me.

I didn't mean to make it seem like car fax is useless. I used it too when searching for my evo. But one can't trust it blindly . It is only good for things that get reported. In my search for an evo I ran across cars with clean titles but upon inspection I saw that they were in accidents that should not have been a clean title car.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jhaze71
I want a DD with a light curb weight and about 400whp. I prefer the older evo then remove the wing to make it look as unassuming as possible.
Is rust important to you ?

I daily drove my IX and in Illinois they salt the streets when it snows. I hated driving my car in the snow because of the salt but I had no choice.

The Evo in my opinion is too precious of a car to be a daily driver in salt states. I was looking for a long while for my current Evo 8 and wasted traveling money flying out of state to see potential purchases and realizing pictures online make the cars look better than they actually are. I am happy to have purchased my current Evo that was never driven in snow . The previous owner cleaned stripped down and cleaned the heck out of it during the mod'ing and never drove it in the rain. I will only drive mine when there is zero chance of rain and good climate conditions . It is just a weekend car hand full of times around mid/end of Spring through beginning Fall.

There are many Evo's for sale everywhere. It's the condition and never driven in snow/salt that matters most to me. Most if not all crap out there are in the low to high teens area price wise. When you get in the $20-30k price range you see the quality difference . But there are also those with crap cars that still list them for 20K+ when it should be $12k

So having said all that . Do you want some semi poor to ok condition surface rust on the underbody or body panel Evo that will make 400whp easy or do you want a good to excellent condition Evo with zero rust ?
Old Jul 28, 2017, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I agree 100%. With the salt/snow sentiment.

Hence why mine is a low mileage Florida car

And why my previous one was a Texas car

And the one before that a Georgia car.

And I live in NY 😆
Old Jul 29, 2017, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
ACD - I see it as another part that one day can fail . My IX was a daily driven including in snow and the pump failed at 39k miles. Although my current VIII will never see rain or snow , the chance of another pump failing one day vs benefit of ACD is not worth it to me. If you even notice Non ACD tcase has become more in demand and valuable as some people convert to non ACD tcase like I did with my IX. From what I read people who road race prefer it as well although you can tune the ACD now. Weight savings is another benefit with the non ACD , if your into that.
The folks that say that fall into 2 camps:

1) They are fast enough that ACD doesn't give them any advantage
2) They BELIEVE they are fast enough that ACD doesn't give them any advantage

Most average Evo HPDE drivers fall into the latter whether they will publicly admit it or not. ACD in salt doesn't seem to have held up well but I'm almost 13 years in on mine and it's tracked with no reliability issues to date. Can't ask for much more than that IMO.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Driving ten under in the passing lane, right turn signal on at all times.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unless you know these cars inside and out, you will save money in the long run by paying too much for an absolutely clean, straight, no excuses, no stories example, than hunting for a bargain.

No offense intended, but if you are here asking these kinds of questions, you probably shouldn't be bargain-hunting. If it makes you feel better, I knew that I didn't have the skills or knowledge to find a diamond in the rough when I bought my Evo, so I didn't try.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 07:22 AM

I found this tread quite interesting. I'm trying to sell my Evo at the moment and it's so difficult trying to figure out what the right market price should be. There are so many diverse opinions about models and years. Our cars are such a niche market that Blue Book is almost irrelivant. I guess it comes down to simply finding the right buyer for your particular car whatever the model, year, and condition.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:40 AM

So what about an Evo 8, 2004 RS, 137k miles and is stock, one owner for 13,500? In excellent shape, no paint fade, runs great, some small rock chips but otherwise really clean.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Where is it? I'd buy it, just because.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jhaze71
So what about an Evo 8, 2004 RS, 137k miles and is stock, one owner for 13,500? In excellent shape, no paint fade, runs great, some small rock chips but otherwise really clean.
1. Is the RS what your looking for ?
2. One owner , 2 owner etc.. It doesn't matter how many owners, what matters is condition. Usually the less owners it had the better condition it might be but not always.

It's up to you if the car is worth it. For me I don't value the RS much because it doesn't have 2 things that are important for me , power windows and ABS.

If an Evo is in good shape like you say and no rust or accidents with 137k miles for 13,500 , I say it is a steal . Don't buy any evo model (RS , GSR, MR , SE, SSL ) because it's a deal. Buy it because it's the model you want that happens to be a deal.

Also , what's the point of never being modded ? That doesn't add value to me. Your going to mod it anyways. If it has good/tastefully done mods , now that adds value IMO. Besides many lie about never modded" or "never raced" . I consider WOT pull a "raced". Never "tracked" or "road course" well that's a different story .

Quick Reply: Evo 8 worth it?