Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Key stuck after ignition switch swap

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key stuck after ignition switch swap

I'm having some problems after replacing the ignition switch on my 2003 evo gsr. Heres a background on the situation....

ignition switch was taken out with no issues. When putting the new switch back in, the switch seemed to "pop" into place while I was tightening the screw the final few turns. As I plugged the battery terminals back in, my defi gauges were instantly making a high pitch noise which only come on while the key is in the on position (Position where fuel pumps prime and the next turn is ignition). I inserted the key into the ignition and as I turned the key, it allowed me to turn but felt very "mushy" as in there was no clicking feeling. I turned the key back to its initial position to try to remove it but would not release the key. So now the key is stick inside the ignition. I removed the ignition switch and tried to remove it again with no luck.

Has anyone had a similar issue or have any ideas about a fix? Also, what could I have done wrong during installation? I tried jiggling the steering wheel back and forth as that sometimes locks the key with no luck. At this point, I'm thinking about removing the whole assembly which bolts onto the steering wheel and bringing it to a locksmith to remove. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 22, 2017, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
did you swap in a new switch?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 06:15 PM

Yes I did put a new switch in which I purchased new from Mitsubishi
Old Jul 22, 2017, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Miniracer43
Yes I did put a new switch in which I purchased new from Mitsubishi
With a new key?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:08 PM

No, still the same key I was using before. I was told I didn't need a new key by the parts guy
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by 4G63_EVO
With a new key?
My car needed a new switch last summer. I was surprised to find the keyed mechanism and the ignition switch are two separate items. So, the key sticking in the tumblers should have nothing to do with installing a new switch. That is, unless the switch is preventing the key from turning back to the lock position for key removal.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 08:41 PM

Update. The key is now out. Pulled the tumbler out and it seems like something isn't right with it. Going to bring it to a locksmith and have him tear it apart to see if anything is broken or out of place. The steering wheel is locked still and can't get it to disengage. Anybody know how to get it to disengage? Tried wiggling this thing in all sorts of ways. Even threw the car up on jackstands and it won't unlock