Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need Help Deciding Whats Next

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2017, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help Deciding Whats Next

Hi all,

I am regrettably thinking about selling my 2003 Evo, not because I want to but because financially it doesn't make sense for me to own one at this point in my life. It's been my dream car for a long time so this hurts pretty bad. However, I would like some of your opinions on what to get next. I still want something that I can have fun in, and its reliable, it just has to be less than what I can sell the Evo for, essentially I need money in my pocket. I've been looking at 350z's a little bit but would like to hear from all of you.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Why doesn't it make sense to own one? A 350z is going to make a lot less sense to own than an Evo.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Find other ways to make money
Old Jul 5, 2017, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
Why doesn't it make sense to own one? A 350z is going to make a lot less sense to own than an Evo.
How so? I don't necessarily need something that is practical ie. having four doors, just cheaper
Old Jul 5, 2017, 08:28 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Trading one money pit for another doesnt make much sense. What about owning the evo is killing you?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I can tell you if you financially can't hold the ownership of the Evo, the 350z is not going to be any cheaper. What is it financially you can't afford? Car payment? Insurance? Maintenance? Fuel? A lot of factors here need to be determined, but any sports car is going to be expensive no matter how you slice it. Just my opinion, but if you financially can't afford the Evo, I would say that you might want to rethink about what cars you look into.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Trading one money pit for another doesnt make much sense. What about owning the evo is killing you?
+1
If you want to save money, look at buying a Honda or Toyota commuter cars. It's cheaper in every way (gas, insurance, maintenance, etc). Every sports car has its own unique costs, so you won't save much changing to another sports car, especially a 2-door for insurance. Did you get a quote to see the difference yet?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
If you are looking at getting a 350Z, you are better off getting an S2000. Very sporty, great handling, and of course has that Honda reliability. Prices for them are pretty reasonable however they are starting getting expensive.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 09:37 AM

It's not that I can't afford insurance or maintenance or anything like that. My idea is that I would sell it, pick something up for around 5k and pocket the rest. I'd take the new car to school with me and not have to worry as much. I'd then take the extra cash to help pay off some student loans and try to get ahead of all of that now, then later down the road get back into an Evo
Old Jul 5, 2017, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Buy a beater (04 Corolla etc) and keep the Evo in storage or planned non/operation. Personally I don't think the extra cash you get from selling the Evo will come close to paying off school loans. Pick up a part time job and make changes to your life style to afford college.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Do you think you will realistically get back into an evo down the road? It's not a corolla that will always be in production. And if you find one later, you can expect it to be severely beaten up or pay a big premium. Good luck in your decision.

Originally Posted by TBEvo8CT
It's not that I can't afford insurance or maintenance or anything like that. My idea is that I would sell it, pick something up for around 5k and pocket the rest. I'd take the new car to school with me and not have to worry as much. I'd then take the extra cash to help pay off some student loans and try to get ahead of all of that now, then later down the road get back into an Evo
Old Jul 5, 2017, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
early 90's corolla. they are cheap, good on gas, and last forever.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Sell it and buy as plain Jane as possible. College is no place for a classic car and that is what the Evo is becoming.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 09:49 AM

How about a S2000? Holds its value depending on the one you buy (not junk). I have gone through two of them and had a blast. You still get your fun and decent mpg. Typical maintenance. I am in the same boat. Wanting to get something different now.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had an Evo and a 350z and I'd say based off my experience my 350z was much more reliable and cheaper to maintain. The 350z is also much cheaper and can be had for about half the price of an Evo 8. The only issues I really had with the 350 was the quality of parts for the interior. The window motors are infamous for breaking, door handle hinges shatter easily, the interior console is very sparse and scratches very easily and the seat adjustment motors also go out with time. They did a great job with the exterior and motor, but they really put some cheap parts on the inside of that car!

If you want something fun and cheaper than the evo it's a good choice. A lot of guys are saying s2k, but the prices of those are insane these days. A lot more than an evo 8 for sure with way less space than a 350z.

If you're super strapped for cash, you can just get an old EK hatch or ae86 and have a great time still. Hope that helps!