Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Key stuck in the ignition... Please help!

Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key stuck in the ignition... Please help!

I was fixing a starting issue my evo vii was having where it would click and click and click then finally turn over, by simply replacing the ignition switch behind the ignition cylinder where your key go's into. After I had replaced that I went to go pull out of my driveway and my steering wheel locked up...? So I pulled back into the driveway and tried turning off my car and my key wont come out of the ignition? So now I'm in a pickle... My key wont come out and my steering wheel is locked... Any suggestions?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you probably didn't install something right. take it apart agin and see what is going on.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:10 AM

If anyone comes across this - you've got the key shaft 180 degrees out of alignment! There is a pin ontop of the key barrel that you can depress, and pull the whole key assembly out.

In the key barrel there is a tab you compress that removes the steering lock. align the key shaft properly so this is depressed, and insert the key assembly.

Just had this problem fixing my ignition switch..........
Old Jul 24, 2018, 08:13 AM

I can’t seem to get the ignition cylinder out unless the key is in the lock position(which is my goal anyway)
Old Mar 30, 2019, 08:55 PM

hey did you ever figure out this issue with your key? i just swapped out my ignition switch on my 2005 evo 8 and the steering wheel is locked and my key is stuck in ACC. ive done everything from wiggling key. wiggling steering wheel and key. pushing the key cylinder release pin. unplug battery to reset the car. now im at trying to remove the key cylinder with key attached or remove the whole assembly.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Acematic91
hey did you ever figure out this issue with your key? i just swapped out my ignition switch on my 2005 evo 8 and the steering wheel is locked and my key is stuck in ACC. ive done everything from wiggling key. wiggling steering wheel and key. pushing the key cylinder release pin. unplug battery to reset the car. now im at trying to remove the key cylinder with key attached or remove the whole assembly.
Keep trying with the key cylinder release pin to pull the whole assembly out
Old Nov 20, 2021, 08:54 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I just ran into the same issue.. any updates?
Old Jun 3, 2022, 03:59 PM

where is the tab?

Originally Posted by mr3024446
If anyone comes across this - you've got the key shaft 180 degrees out of alignment! There is a pin ontop of the key barrel that you can depress, and pull the whole key assembly out.

In the key barrel there is a tab you compress that removes the steering lock. align the key shaft properly so this is depressed, and insert the key assembly.

Just had this problem fixing my ignition switch..........