Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is it worth buying a rebuilt title?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it worth buying a rebuilt title?

Is it worth paying less for a rebuilt title or should I save up more for a clean titled evo?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
yes! depending on why it was issued a rebuilt title.
for example, I purchased an evo in the past that was issued a rebuilt title due to a theft recovery, so it wasn't anything I needed to deal with as far as bodywork...etc
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
it will affect your resale. I wont consider purchasing a rebuilt title for that reason, and im sure many people are like me. so it will cut down your buyer pool when you decide to sell.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:30 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I'm considering purchasing a 2003 yellow Evo 8 but there are some flaws.
Here is what the owner sent as far as modifications/work done to it.
--
Gates blue racing timing belt, balance shaft belt and serpentine belt.
ARP headstuds
kelford 272 cams
FIC 1050 injectors
walbro 400 pump
Blitz turbo timer and electronic boost controller
Arashi 20g turbo ( hot side ported)
ported exhaust manifold
Wheels powder coated white
calipers painted yellow
Transmission and transfer case replaced with lower mileage units
Invidia turbo back exhaust.
Injen intercooler piping and intake.
Hks super flow air filter
Mishimoto aluminum radiator
AMS racing front mount intercooler.
Clean title. Also has working A/C and heat.
Mileage is 215k on the body.
Has a high flow converter on it, and check engine light is on because the rear o2 was removed and replaced with an AFR gauge

He wants 9k for it or he would sell it for 8k but he would put a lot of the stock parts back on like the stock turbo, cams, o2 housing, injectors, fuel pump, and intercooler.

Now for the big reason why im not comfortable purchasing it (though I really want a yellow Evo and it's fairly cheap) is that when I asked him if he launched/tracked it he openly told me he did. He went on sending me a video of him doing multiple launches on the cat the night he got it tuned....as a buyer, that was a red flag to stay away but the devil says otherwise. Also, he said the transmission has a whine in 1st and 2nd gear. I don't know if it's the T case whine of death but again I'm not super knowledgeable on evos. What do you guys think?

Thanks again.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Sounds like an honest seller!.... The evo is a performance sedan, and it isn't usual for people to race it. Having said that, for 8-9k, what do you expect? bone stock/never tracked?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 01:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I would stay away from this car.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 01:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
If you want a weekend project that you don't plan on selling, knowing it may cause problems, buy it. You'd probably make money parting it out once you're tired of it. Just don't expect it to behave right out of the gate. Sounds like you have to fix a few things first, but that's why the price is so cheap.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 03:45 PM

Well I don't mind modifications and I realize with that price range it won't be a perfect car. But the fact that he sent me a video of the car that I was potentially going to purchase doing numerous launches isn't enticing. It's one thing if I'm looking at YouTube videos of other Evo owners launching their car car but the one that I'm about to pick up? I guess im leaning more towards not buying it...thanks a lot for your input guys, I appreciate. First time posting by the way.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 03:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo4g6333
Well I don't mind modifications and I realize with that price range it won't be a perfect car. But the fact that he sent me a video of the car that I was potentially going to purchase doing numerous launches isn't enticing. It's one thing if I'm looking at YouTube videos of other Evo owners launching their car car but the one that I'm about to pick up? I guess im leaning more towards not buying it...thanks a lot for your input guys, I appreciate. First time posting by the way.
Not a problem. If you feel comfortable working on an evo i'd say go for it, but if it's your first one and it has you worried, steer clear. FWIW, just because someone launches their evo doesn't necessarily mean it's in bad shape.

There are people on here who shift like **** with an overly aggressive clutch and probably have worse transfer cases then those who launch properly
Old Aug 16, 2017, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
Imho when buying a sports car like an evo, the reason your buying the car should more or less dictate what condition the car is in. The fact that he is honest is a good thing.
If you want a low mileage daily driver id look for a near stock with lots of service records.
If you want a project/weekend car, id look for a cheaper one like the one you found.
some of us like driving a stock or near stock car thats accident free and willing to pay top dollar for.
others want a car to mod and race and drive it hard and then get rid of for the next toy.
​​​​​​​With evos there isnt a whole lot in between.
hope that helps and good luck!
Old Aug 16, 2017, 08:05 PM

Yeah I see what your saying. I guess I was trying to find that median..The thing is I want to have it as my fail driver, however, its not like a typical daily because I have a work vehicle and I would only drive the Evo for groceries, gym, going out and on weekends, aside from the 40 hours a week that I drive my work vehicle back and forth. With that being said, I definitely don't want a project car but something decent that would be a daily (driven around 500 or less miles a month). I have a budget of 15k but I'm very picky with the color Evo I want. I want to get one in yellow, white or black but I can't seem to find any in that price range that don't have major issues.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 08:43 PM

Personally I'd stay away from a rebuilt title. Now, if you're planning on keeping it for a while and not worried about resale it could be a good pick up.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
There are a few things to consider.

1. If the car was destroyed in a wreck, it will NEVER be like it was from the factory.
2. Resale value, obviously the rebuilt title is going to hurt, but if you plan on keeping the car until the unforeseen future, does that really matter?
3. A car is only worth what your willing to pay for it. Not everyone has the money to buy a perfect Evo, you'll have to start somewhere.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 03:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Bought my first Evo with a rebuilt title and a blown motor for 8k. It was 8 different shades of white, which bugged the **** out of me, but it was straight. Loved that car. Fixed the motor, sold for 9.5k a few years back.

Recently saw it had a new owner that paid 13k for it. Stupid high, but it just goes to show that these cars are appreciating even in questionable shape.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 03:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo4g6333
Yeah I see what your saying. I guess I was trying to find that median..The thing is I want to have it as my fail driver, however, its not like a typical daily because I have a work vehicle and I would only drive the Evo for groceries, gym, going out and on weekends, aside from the 40 hours a week that I drive my work vehicle back and forth. With that being said, I definitely don't want a project car but something decent that would be a daily (driven around 500 or less miles a month). I have a budget of 15k but I'm very picky with the color Evo I want. I want to get one in yellow, white or black but I can't seem to find any in that price range that don't have major issues.
Keep looking. Took me a while, but I picked up my white Evo ix in February for 13.5k, higher miles but well taken care of. Bodywork is key, you can fix engines and high miles aren't an issue generally as long as maintenance was done on time.

Wait until you find what you want, don't settle, trust me

Quick Reply: Is it worth buying a rebuilt title?