Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Just made my 1st purchase. Good or bad decision?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2017, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just made my 1st purchase. Good or bad decision?

I went to take a look at a black 2005 Evo 8 SSL
Has
96k Miles
Performance wise is full exhaust, intake piping and a new moshimoto radiator.
D2 Coilovers
Drilled & Slotted Rotors
AEM Boost and Air & Fuel Gauges
Tinted windows
JDM Taillights
Evo 9 Front Bumper
ClutchMaster Clutch
Injen Intercooler Piping & Diverter Valve
3" HKS Turbo Back Exhaust
Greddy Turbo Timer
Evo 7 Shift Knob
Siebon Carbon Fiber Hood
Weather Tech Rain Guards
Rexspeed Vortex Generator
Double Din Conversion With Kenwood DDX9703S In-dash DVD Receiver - 6.95" Touch Display installed

After negotiating, I ended up buying it for 14k. Now there are some issues that it did have. The AC does not work and I got the universal response of "it might need a recharge" which I highly doubt because if that's the case, I don't know why they wouldn't have done it since it's a simple fix. There are some dings and scratches on the front and rear humper, nothing too major. It does drive real good, clutch isn't short and idles fine and pulls good. I got it with the stock rims (which looks like S*## because of curb rash and scratches and poor black paint job). The biggest concern was that I didn't realize it had a straight pipe so it's not going to pass emissions here in VA. Now I have to worry about that which will be a headache. Another thing I noticed after I brought it home was that when I turned the key to the on position, the SES, anti-lock, and ebrake light doesnt turn on which it should. I started worrying if previous owner took out bulbs or did something so alter the dash lights. I removed the gauge cluster without disconnecting the battery (I know that was a dumb mistake on my part, I was to eager to take it out and check bulbs or anything of fawl play). I don't know how the stock cluster should look but not every socket had bulbs in them. The SES was burned but the other ones were fine. I removed the turn signal bulbs to place them in the missing slots and burned out bulb for the SES, Ebrake, and anti-lock and put the cluster back on. I turned the key and the lights did come on. I started the car and the SES and SRS light stayed on...that worries me because maybe the SES light was on this whole time and I didn't realize it because the bulb was burned out. But now the SRS light came on and remained on. I disconnected the battery for a while and started it back up, this time the SES went away but the SRS still stays on...can anyone please chime in and give they're opinion on what they think is going on and if I even got a decent deal for this Evo for 14k...I'm starting to have doubts and worry that I bit off more than I could chew. Thanks in advance guys.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
Not sure on the price, might be a little high with no a/c and cluster lights on.
But... first things first i would get the codes pulled to see what they are.
last year my srs light came on i forgot the code, something like driver air bag resistance 1st stage, anyway i replaced the clock spring. less than 20 dollars shipped from amazon, and light has been off since.
​​​​​​​
Old Aug 28, 2017, 08:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unplugging the battery will reset the SES but not the SRS. You will need a special scan tool for the SRS. Try calling a dealer near you and check with them if they have a SRS diagnostic tool to have it cleared.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SRS light has to be reset by the dealer unless you find someone with a scan tool that's able to do so. Did you scan it to see what code the car is throwing? The price is decent. I paid 12.5k for my 05 ssl with some dings/scratches w/ 155k miles with some of the same mods. For future reference, always turn the key to the ON position without starting it. The SRS and SES light should both come on for around 5 seconds then turn off. If not, the lights have either burnt out or been removed. Stay positive!
Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:16 PM

Any updates?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:28 PM

May want to check for the recall on the air bags if has been done if not take it to the dealer and get them replace
Old Nov 30, 2017, 03:59 AM

Update on the car:

The AC had the common issue of the climate control knob being stuck due to the crappy plastic gearing so all I had to do was go underneath the driver side and manually set it to what I want. As for the bulbs, a few of them were burned out so I ordered new cluster bulbs and installed them and all the lights worked. As for the SRS light, after I installed all the new bulbs, it went away. The SES light did remain on but that's because of the test pipe. I bought an oem cat and had it installed, and the SES light went away. Everything is good now, I guess I just had cold feed buying the car lol. I also had a transmission, T-case and rear different flush just to clean everything out. Only complaint I have really is the the brakes squeal when stopping and sunroof acts up a little bit but from I searched in the forum, a lot of people had this issue too.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 02:25 PM
Account Disabled

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sunroof is a known issue, may want to find the HOW TO to fix it if it ever gets stuck. As to the brakes welcome to owning a racecar lol, may want to look and see what pads your running and switching to some that are a little less noisy.

Did not see if you posted it but something to remember for the future, before you buy a performance car make sure you do a compression and leakdown test. Also spend the money for a mechanic that YOU trust to take a thorough look at the car and verify that the turbo has not been messed with and bolts don't look like they have been removed and swapped especially if the owner says the car has been stock.

Just saves yourself possible heartache down the road but good luck with your purchase hope you enjoy it !
Old Dec 9, 2017, 07:36 PM

Have fun with that
Old Jun 25, 2018, 06:11 PM

You say the clutch is clutch masters. If it is a dual clutch does work good?