Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How much do you beat on your evo?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 08:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by six40
Evo X here, but the car is literally everywhere with me as long as there's no salt on the ground. Just about to hit 150k miles. I bought the car to drive it and enjoy it, so that is being accomplished daily. 125 mile round commute 5-6 days every week in it, where it sees highway, city, and back roads. Goes grocery shopping, goes to Home Depot & Walmart, takes the kid to school in the morning, goes camping 8 hours up north, goes on trips to the US 8 hours south, drives an hour to the track and back on a Friday night, drives an hour to abandoned industrial areas in the Toronto area late late Saturday night and comes back just in time for McDonald's breakfast at 5:00AM Sunday Morning, etc.

Stock longblock pump gas car making 470whp and it sees pulls multiple times a day. It's definitely driven, as it should be. Oil changes every 3-4 weeks, plugs once a season, all other fluids once a season. Always washed and simply kept clean.

I'm a strong believer that if you just maintain your car as you should and address anything that comes up, it will last a long time. And be smart, when you're being stupid. Don't hit 30psi on your stock turbo at 3k rpm in 5th gear, and your engine will last longer. Don't sidestep the clutch at every light, and your t-case (8-9)/rear end/diff pins (X) will last longer. If you have a 4G63, change the damn timing belt and components every 50-60k. Change your fluids with good stuff regularly etc...
I agree with this my old X had same miles like i stated above, maintain the car and you're golden.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Believe it or not my evo has been the most reliable car ive ever owned. Slave cylinder went and left me strandes once. It was right after the shep trans install with a push conversion.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 07:44 AM

I beat the hell out of mine, the tranny just sdoesnt seem to enjoy it
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
leaky tranny so no fun for me
Old Oct 22, 2017, 08:11 PM

I beat on mine every time I drive it. Even though it’s just the weekends.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Beat on it at least once on my way to work. I don't drive it everyday because I carpool BTW but if it weren't for that I'd drive her daily. I have FBO, E85 and S2 cams btw.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Driving ten under in the passing lane, right turn signal on at all times.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I drive mine daily when the weather is decent and I have to haul kids or cats or whatever.

I accelerate crisply and corner like a go-kart, but do not beat on it or go very fast (except on the freeway).
Old Oct 31, 2017, 07:01 PM

Once a week just to burn up some of the build up.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I beat on the car whenever I go out to drive it in the more twisty roads, which is about once a week/every two weeks. Long rides i want mileage so Im much nicer there. If you want your car to run the best, youre gonna have to overmaintain, so why not get what youre working for. Since the engine that is in the car does not seem to be put together properly, I plan on rebuilding that or building a motor this winter anyway, so I am not afraid to blow it since im already halfway done paying for the parts I will need.

However, the motor that is in this car has proven to be a trooper. I had to drive it back from Ohio on a "93" map when it was actually an e85 map with a few values switched around.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
Hardly at all. Normal driving for me doesn't see above 3000-3500rpm

I'll rip on it maybe once every other week and that's a 2-3 pull or a 3rd only pull or a 2nd only pull.

Car really doesn't get driven hard. at all.
You're the kind of guy I like buying cars from. Any chance your evo is for sale? lol

I drive my Ralliart the same way I drove my rotary... like I effin stole it!
Old Nov 5, 2017, 02:36 PM

mines a daily so not much right now.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 08:30 AM
Account Disabled

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Eh the evo is a weekend car typically when I have it so I don't really beat it up too much, car has made everything from 980+ hp on a super 99 years ago to a zero at the moment until I get the 9174 setup put on. Unfortuntly car has sat for 2 years with occasional drive by my shop while I was in Puerto Rico.

I guess does not really help when my "daily" driver cars are 2 built STI's making over 550+ hp and wife owns a 09 wrx as well, im pretty spoiled but honestly can't wait till the evo gets finished and shipped to florida in the next 6 month's or so. Had a few setback's with my evo the past couple of years, had a head that decided it did not want to hold a headgasket so had to replace it, pushed out 2 freeze plugs on the dyno, went through 3 starters and flywheels, along with some other fun stuff but all been fixed by myself.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 03:23 AM

Mine gets treated like a Queen. No WOT but i get on it maybe once a month.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 02:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Garage kept, but has frequent flyer miles at the local dragstrip. 86K original miles, stock block, stock maf, stock ecu, stock location turbo (FP Red) journal, Low 7s on 1/8th low 11s on 1/4. And no car payment is a bonus.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
1) cuddle her with regular and timely maintenance
2) warm her nicely up
3) drive her like I stole her (race car!)
4) cool her down correclty

Quick Reply: How much do you beat on your evo?