Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Great news everyone! (SRS)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2018, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by aamoedo
Update: turned out fine though I'm having a crappy time getting my stereo's vanity plate back on for some weird reason. Oh well. All my gauges work so that's nice.
Update: just kidding, drive at night for the first time. Half my gauge cluster lights are out. How hard is that to fix?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by aamoedo
Update: just kidding, drive at night for the first time. Half my gauge cluster lights are out. How hard is that to fix?
Put tilt all the way down.
2 philips screws under gauge hood, pull hood out.
Grab power mirror switch panel and pull to pop loose.
3 philips screws holding cluster into dash.
Rotate bottom of cluster toward you, then slide left side out first.

You can do them without unplugging, but for the first time unplugging the cluster is preferable. Make sure key is off so you don't set an SRS light when you unplug the gauges.
The three "obvious" bulbs across the center are the back light bulbs; center bottom is the odometer back light bulb. They just twist ~1/4 turn to release and engage.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by superbovine
Put tilt all the way down.
2 philips screws under gauge hood, pull hood out.
Grab power mirror switch panel and pull to pop loose.
3 philips screws holding cluster into dash.
Rotate bottom of cluster toward you, then slide left side out first.

You can do them without unplugging, but for the first time unplugging the cluster is preferable. Make sure key is off so you don't set an SRS light when you unplug the gauges.
The three "obvious" bulbs across the center are the back light bulbs; center bottom is the odometer back light bulb. They just twist ~1/4 turn to release and engage.
Awesome. I'll start here. Thanks!
Old Jul 27, 2018, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
I have to take my car in next thursday for this. I went by the dealership so i can talk to them first and I told the tech i would remove the gauges on the pillar and the radio which is a simple single din. They dont seem to excited about doing it and tried to tell me he may have to charge me extra. **** no! I said i would pull the gauges and radio. If it wasnt for me wanting my family to ride in the car with me i would just unplug the thing so i dont have to deal with this ****. I have to figure out how to put the car in valet mode through evoscan so just in case they get the bright idea of taking car out for a drive it will redline at 3 - 4k.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 04:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
I find it hard to believe they will charge anyone for a defect repair, no matter how a car is modified. It is their responsibility and it is their problem to fix because it is their error for using a crappy company supplier, not yours. Ask them if you need to find a lawyer if they plan on giving you a bill.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 05:35 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
I find it hard to believe they will charge anyone for a defect repair, no matter how a car is modified. It is their responsibility and it is their problem to fix because it is their error for using a crappy company supplier, not yours. Ask them if you need to find a lawyer if they plan on giving you a bill.
That seems absurd to me. I think if I introduce an extreme it will show how that doesn't make a lot of sense and obviously you need to draw a line somewhere. Lets say I'm crazy about weight savings and I want to remove all my interior bolts/nuts and just epoxy glue everything together. They should have to then go in and what, chizel the dash apart to replace the airbag? I know that sounds like a far fetched crazy scenario, but people do some wild **** with their cars.

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Jul 28, 2018 at 05:49 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
That seems absurd to me. I think if I introduce an extreme it will show how that doesn't make a lot of sense and obviously you need to draw a line somewhere. Lets say I'm crazy about weight savings and I want to remove all my interior bolts/nuts and just epoxy glue everything together. They should have to then go in and what, chizel the dash apart to replace the airbag? I know that sounds like a far fetched crazy scenario, but people do some wild **** with their cars.
In this case, they should collect the old and hand over the replacement with owner's signed acceptance of liability. Haha
Old Sep 15, 2018, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
OK, here is my story from today.

I also got the letter for the Airbag Recall (Inflator).
Got the appointment for yesterday at the Mitsu dealership to change it on my Evo 8 (2004).

It took them 1 hour and 15 min to exchange the inflator. They did not remove the dashboard and managed to remove it from the passenger side behind the glove-box by removing the main fan.
Everything went very smooth without issues at all.
Very happy now. It was all FOC.

picture hosting sites

private image upload

old "Inflator":

Old Sep 15, 2018, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah they put the wrong inflator in. That's the temporary replacement from 2014, the one we stopped using when I made this thread.
There correct replacement is not metal, I posted pictures of it earlier in the thread.

Not surprised though, they made it way more difficult pulling the air handler out to reach the airbag, no wonder it too them so long too.

Edit: pic of correct 04-05 lancer and 04-06 Evo inflator.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evolutionm.net-vbulletin/580x435/80-igniter_1__f73eeec10022844efff93a79856e707bf122a4a 4.jpg

Last edited by superbovine; Sep 15, 2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
^Link isn't working.
The following users liked this post:
superbovine (Sep 18, 2018)
Old Sep 16, 2018, 01:02 AM
Evolving Member

I hope I wont be dealing with this issue any more. Why would they put a wrong inflator in?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kpt6
^Link isn't working.
Thanks, no idea why that happened. Here's a link to the whole post:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...8&postcount=27
Originally Posted by Kevin Troy
I hope I wont be dealing with this issue any more. Why would they put a wrong inflator in?
Incompetence. Or didn't send their temporary ones back to the distributor in time for credit when they were requested and thought they could make them "disappear" this way.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Just double checked to make sure maybe it wasn't boxed wrong since you took a photo of the box. Nope, not even the right box. Should have been 7030A950.
If you post your VIN I can check and see if they intentionally installed the wrong part (and billed Mitsubishi for the correct one) or if they totally ****ed up.

Also, this should adequately **** you off:
Kevin Troy (Sep 19, 2018)
Old Sep 19, 2018, 03:15 AM
Evolving Member

AHAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA I DONT BELIEVE IT

that's just crazy. now what?

thanks for the info!! Appreciate it very much superbovine!!

Last edited by Kevin Troy; Sep 19, 2018 at 05:34 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

Done
Kevin Troy (Sep 19, 2018)

Quick Reply: Great news everyone! (SRS)