Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo IX awd question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2017, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo IX awd question

Hello Everyone,

Sorry id this has been asked before, but my car is coming up for a yearly car check and at my registration place they out the car onto a sort of roller to check the car. When the car gets on the roller the front wheels spin first with the rear ones stationary, then the car moves up and the rear wheels spin while the front remains stationary. whenever they do this on my previous inspections I can always hear a sort of clicking sound coming from underneath the car and I wasn't sure if this is okay for the car or not. It's kind of hard the explain really but here is a video link of the inspection test done with someones elses car not a problem for that guy since its a ff drive car but for the evo with awd i'm not sure.
Thank you everyone and sorry for the noob question, if it is bad for the car is there anywhere where I can get the information to show it to the inspection guy that it's not good for the car.

( if you check the 0:38 second part you will see what I really mean)
Old Oct 22, 2017, 06:55 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
An AWD EVO can not be tested on a 2WD emissions tester. Certain center differential damage will occur
Old Oct 22, 2017, 11:32 PM

What should I do in this case any recommendations? i'm not sure how they will react if I tell them my car cannot be put onto a 2wd emission tester
Old Oct 23, 2017, 05:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
They must get other cars , SUV's or jeeps that are AWD . So they should be prepared for handling your car as an AWD vehicle .

I don't understand the point of the roller test . It's the machine that's rolling the wheels not the car. So what is the test looking for ? Is it testing that the brakes are working ?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 08:50 AM

The roller test really is to check the vehicle alignment that's what I can basically tell. And for the awd vehicles they put them on the 2wd tester as well so not sure what to do, it is only for a few seconds like 30-40 seconds so will it really do any damage? same can be said about people pulling the ebrake around a corner or something.
Anyway does anyone have a link or does it say somewhere in the owners manual that this is bad for the car so atleast I can go in there with something to back up my statement,
Regards
Old Oct 23, 2017, 09:13 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by WereWolf93
The roller test really is to check the vehicle alignment that's what I can basically tell. And for the awd vehicles they put them on the 2wd tester as well so not sure what to do, it is only for a few seconds like 30-40 seconds so will it really do any damage? same can be said about people pulling the ebrake around a corner or something.
Anyway does anyone have a link or does it say somewhere in the owners manual that this is bad for the car so atleast I can go in there with something to back up my statement,
Regards
The roller test is to put a dynamic load on the car, simulating driving on the road. Pretty sure it has nothing to do w/aligment

Also, E-braking our EvO's is not the same as what was done to your EvO. E-braking the EvO disables the rear drive, keeping the drivetrain unloaded

I would drain your front diff & see what the fluid looks like. What was done to your EvO was totally incompetent & they should be held liable
Old Oct 23, 2017, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Call the testing station and tell them you have an 'all-time awd' vehicle and ask them how they will test it, and see if you need to bring anything else in with you (like a letter from a mechanic or anything).
The following users liked this post:
WereWolf93 (Oct 23, 2017)
Old Oct 23, 2017, 09:30 AM

Ill try and do that and see what happens
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
This makes me cringe. I'm amazed the car isn't damaged already.

We had this same test in California. All you had to do was show them the car was full time AWD and they would not test it on the rollers.

Pulling the ebrake in a corner is not 30-40 seconds of open diff. It's maybe 1 sec? Plus open diff does not mean the car stops being 50:50.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Oh man this is horrible, Id like to see what response you get from them.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
we have the same test (it is the brake test) and I never had trouble with it... ACD is open and the test takes only 10 sec or so...
Old Oct 24, 2017, 08:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
ACD being open doesn't mean the car stops being AWD.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 09:37 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by kikiturbo
we have the same test (it is the brake test) and I never had trouble with it... ACD is open and the test takes only 10 sec or so...
*cringe*
Old Oct 24, 2017, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
ACD being open doesn't mean the car stops being AWD.
I know. But, the central limited slip clutch plates are open because there is no hydraulic pressure on them, and half of the plates will stand still and other half will spin at the speed of the axle on test... Central diff is open and it is not a problem for it...

Wear and tear on the ACD plates is minimal if any.. It is not like you are pulling the car with just rear wheels on the ground for many kilometers..
Old Oct 24, 2017, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
*cringe*

we do it once a year and I have had the ACD open a few times so I know there is no unusual wear on the plates..

Quick Reply: Evo IX awd question