Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car Security

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2017, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car Security

Hi guys,

Just wondering what you all use or recommend for car security. My car sits in my garage, but I was thinking about putting a steering wheel lock or something on it. People in Albuquerque have had cars stolen from everywhere.

Thanks.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 08:07 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Similar situation w/my EvO. She sits in the garage w/steering lock

Wondering if one of these boots might be good to add to the layer of security

Old Dec 28, 2017, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

Hmm. Looks interesting. Might be worth having both on there and hoping two types of security could scare people away.

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Similar situation w/my EvO. She sits in the garage w/steering lock

Wondering if one of these boots might be good to add to the layer of security

Old Dec 28, 2017, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I still use the Unbrakeable Brake Lock for my clutch. I bought it in 2000, still using the same one.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Glock 19 Gen 4. Magazine with 15 rounds of Hornady Critical Defence FTX bullets. You can get away with 16 rounds if you have 15 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber.. (I take no responsibility, use at your own caution/risk/choice)

Other options are:
-Hidden Kill switch that will prevent the motor from cranking/starting.
-GPS tracking system..
-Brake Pedal Anti Theft lock

PS, I’ve had my previous Evo stolen when the thefts first started in the Chicago area. At the time I didnt have any anti theft things done. The car was found so I got to see exactly how they do it. Long story short, break rear quarter window to open back door and get in. Use black duck tape to cover broken quarter window and not make things look “suspicious” . Disconnect ECU from behind the glove box area and plug in their own Immobilizer bypassed tuned ECU. Break the ignition key lock to stick in a screw driver i assume and turn the ignition on etc...

In my case they drove the car to a random location and left it parked. I assume to check and see if someone comes for it in case of GPS tracking. Neighbors in the area where suspicious called the cops and my Evo was rescued.

So now you know how an Evo was stolen other than flatbed towing. Hopefully this will give you ideas on how to protect against it.

Good Luck,
Old Dec 28, 2017, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I use the old school Club steering wheel lock. I got a brake lock too(same company).
Old Dec 29, 2017, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I believe you need to protect your car from a few different angles, a good alarm with on board battery, a lock of some sort like wheel or steering wheel klub and snoopy neibours who know when you are away or not home or if tbe alarm goes off that it wont be you, if they want it bad enough they'll take it but they dont like being seen or their car being seen
Old Dec 29, 2017, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for all the comments guys. I think taking a few angles is really all you can do.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 08:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The more locks the better, two way alarm with battery back up, cut off switches, wheel boots, steering wheel clubs. The more you have the more they’ll have to do to get it. Best investment is to rent or have a garage and lock it up inside also.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hide a witch for your clutch bypass so you don't have to push in the clutch to start and have an extra kill switch. I have 4 kill switches on my car that are a mix of manual and electronic.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My mini battery dies every time I go to drive it. Seems to work well
The following users liked this post:
Project_Broke (Jan 4, 2018)
Old Dec 29, 2017, 12:45 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
DRONE alarm is my favorite. I can log in from my phone 24/7 and know right where the car is. And I get notifications if anything is messed with. I pity the fool that messes with my car, though. I have two dogs and my friends Smith & Wesson.

And +1 for kill switches. I've used those since my Honda days. We got really, really creative (I.E. using cigarette lighter as a "key" was kinda fun to do), back then. I live in Fresno, CA... so owning a Honda is damned near impossible. LOL
Old Jan 2, 2018, 09:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Honestly a hidden battery kill switch is always a simple and cost effective solution, but whatever you end up going with, id recommend getting a tracker that runs off its own battery as an additional sense of security, also helps when leaving it in parking lots and such.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:57 PM

viper alarm ftw
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:09 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by a6mzero
viper alarm ftw

Quick Reply: Car Security