Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Daily evo 1 for newbie?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2018, 05:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Daily evo 1 for newbie?

I saw that the evo 1s are finally able to be imported to the USA. I'm am new to this site and to evos in general. I have a e30 that enjoy wrenching on and wanted to get a awd turbo car to rally on gravel and normal everyday use. I know the 4g63 is able to make lots of power on stock internals which is good because my goal is 250hp and daily driving. I would love to work on a turbo car

I had a few questions before I pulled the trigger on getting the car that I haven't been able to find answers to online.

Are the 4g63t parts and transmissions from the evo 8 and 9 straight swappable?
For the evo 1 is it possible to use the evo 3 side skirts, front bumper, spoiler and rear bumper?
Lastly Does anyone know tuners in South Florida and in the Tampa side of Florida?
The following users liked this post:
MinusPrevious (Feb 17, 2018)
Old Feb 17, 2018, 05:16 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hey

Welcome aboard & thanks for posting

Pretty sure the 8 & 9 trannys can be swapped, as there are many similar parts. Heads & front diffs are different

Not familiar w/the EvO1 (what a rare bird in the US)

Please make yourself at home & search around for answers

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Feb 17, 2018 at 06:22 AM.
kelvinj520 (Feb 17, 2018)
Old Feb 17, 2018, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by kelvinj520
I saw that the evo 1s are finally able to be imported to the USA. I'm am new to this site and to evos in general. I have a e30 that enjoy wrenching on and wanted to get a awd turbo car to rally on gravel and normal everyday use. I know the 4g63 is able to make lots of power on stock internals which is good because my goal is 250hp and daily driving. I would love to work on a turbo car

I had a few questions before I pulled the trigger on getting the car that I haven't been able to find answers to online.

Are the 4g63t parts and transmissions from the evo 8 and 9 straight swappable?
For the evo 1 is it possible to use the evo 3 side skirts, front bumper, spoiler and rear bumper?
Lastly Does anyone know tuners in South Florida and in the Tampa side of Florida?
EVO 1 have around 250HP stock so it meet your goal right out of box

1.) 4G63 bottom end parts should be same as long as it is 7 bolt, head from EVO 4~9 is rotated 180 degree(Look at where the cam gear seat) so no, EVO 4~9 head parts is not compatible. However, early EVO share running gear and head with DSM/Galant VR4, parts for those is easily obtainable.
2.) Yes, you can convert to EVO 3 bod parts if you like.
3.) Not a local US peeps so no answer in that regard.

Hope these info helps.
kelvinj520 (Feb 27, 2018)
Old Feb 17, 2018, 03:40 PM

Alright thanks guys think I'm gonna pull the trigger and go for it. I do need to save a bit more pennies. I'm gonna talk to a few importers near and see if I can get a solid car from japan.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
welcome and post some pics once you get it!
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Look up 94AWDcoupe on here. He has one and is one fast SOB! He is also in the Tampa area.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
I would recommend against daily driving an Evo 1. They aren't very reliable, not very comfortable/well built, and some parts can be extremely hard to find. You will have downtime with this car, it's unavoidable.

You can convert just about anything on E1 to E3 spec pretty easily, but the E1 GSR is kinda junk and pretty limp (viscous rear LSD, less power, seats aren't as good, and they understeer). Grab yourself an Evo 2 GSR and a $500 beater, and enjoy the Evo as much as you can. There is so little difference between the 2 and the 3 (aero aside), and you won't pay the E3 tax. There is a lot of novelty to these cars since they are the first Evo and very rare - but make no mistake, they weren't built very well, arent the most fun to drive, and RHD in North America isn't the greatest.

Last edited by RS200; Feb 22, 2018 at 05:49 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by RS200
I would recommend against daily driving an Evo 1. They aren't very reliable, not very comfortable/well built, and some parts can be extremely hard to find. You will have downtime with this car, it's unavoidable.

You can convert just about anything on E1 to E3 spec pretty easily, but the E1 GSR is kinda junk and pretty limp (viscous rear LSD, less power, seats aren't as good, and they understeer). Grab yourself an Evo 2 GSR and a $500 beater, and enjoy the Evo as much as you can. There is so little difference between the 2 and the 3 (aero aside), and you won't pay the E3 tax. There is a lot of novelty to these cars since they are the first Evo and very rare - but make no mistake, they weren't built very well, arent the most fun to drive, and RHD in North America isn't the greatest.
Mmmmhhmmm. The evo 2 is a year away so not much time to wait and I'd have more money to do mods. I do plan to rally this at a track here in Florida. I might still go check one out and do a test drive. I will say this might be much better because I personally don't really care about it being the first evo. My main concern is driving/rallying the car and having it look like evo 3.