Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Another air bag recall?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2018, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another air bag recall?

I cannot believe they are recalling the airbag that was installed as a result of the last recall. They really do suck. So now I have to go through another period of worrying about whether there is a dealer in my area that is competent enough to do the install properly.
Old May 1, 2018, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
To my understanding, the new recall only affects the airbag igniter. If I recall correctly I believe this can be done without the dash coming out.

Don’t take that as gold though, Ive got a 03 so no recalls for me lol.
Old May 1, 2018, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
First one was just a stop gap measure and was indicated as such until a replacement of different composition could be sourced.
people that blew off the recall long enough got the final fix last year. Those who never had it done have been open to the final repair for about a year. o Those who had the stop gap measure installed were added to the final fix measure last week (~4/26).
There's been a thread about it for months.
The following users liked this post:
xRoguex (May 1, 2018)
Old May 1, 2018, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
that would sort of fit into my story, I blew them off for two years and end of last year took it in, they said they did it without taking the dash out, hence maybe yeh its the igniter. Will hold my breath that I don't get another recall
Old May 2, 2018, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
You realize this is no fault of Mitsubishi, right?

This is all Takata.
Old May 2, 2018, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A lot of manufactures are have this happen to them and issuing a second airbag replacement, It's Takata's fault 100% for this.

I'm personally not taking my car in for the 2nd time for the recall, my dash board has had a rattle since they performed that last recall.
Old May 2, 2018, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
i got this letter also - so what's the deal? we need to take the car in again?

unless every other manufacturer is doing a second recall for the airbag, i would say it's mitsu's fault
Old May 2, 2018, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
i got this letter also - so what's the deal? we need to take the car in again?

unless every other manufacturer is doing a second recall for the airbag, i would say it's mitsu's fault
I just got my notice Monday.
Old May 2, 2018, 08:13 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
It's Mitsubishi's fault in the sense that they went with Takata as a vendor. The reason for the double recall is understandable though, mitsubishi and all the other MFG's that used them had a duty to reduce potential law suits so they issued the recall even though a suitable replacement was not yet available. They just did the Fight Club math and this is what ended up being less risky for them.
Old May 2, 2018, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

They tried to reflash my rom last time. I insistently declined that recall work.
Old May 2, 2018, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
They tried to reflash my rom last time. I insistently declined that recall work.
I kind of wonder if the tech would even do it. You gotta think if your a dealer tech that works on evo's you would take one look at the intake, and injectors and be like "NOPE". Maybe thats too much credit, but you gotta think being burned even once by this as a tech would be a nightmare.

I have seen that this has actually happened before, but one would hope that's more the exception then the rule.

Last edited by Biggiesacks; May 2, 2018 at 08:43 AM.
Old May 2, 2018, 09:41 AM
kaj

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I lucked out: the service manager, at my local dealership, knew me so he put in the computer that they did the ECU update, in case it became a problem at smog time. No big deal, other than I would have had to take my laptop with me to pick the car up
Imagine the techs going nuts, trying to figure out why a customer's car quit running after the update hahaha.

I hope this recall can be done without removing the dash. Mine has rattled ever since the first one. I fully expected that to happen, though.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by kaj
I lucked out: the service manager, at my local dealership, knew me so he put in the computer that they did the ECU update, in case it became a problem at smog time. No big deal, other than I would have had to take my laptop with me to pick the car up
Imagine the techs going nuts, trying to figure out why a customer's car quit running after the update hahaha.

I hope this recall can be done without removing the dash. Mine has rattled ever since the first one. I fully expected that to happen, though.

I was thinking the same thing, I wonder how long i would let them scramble before mentioning i could just flash it back.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
I was thinking the same thing, I wonder how long i would let them scramble before mentioning i could just flash it back.
You wait until they offer you free oil changes. Lol
Old May 2, 2018, 11:09 AM
kaj

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
You wait until they offer you free oil changes. Lol
Genius! And after you are done with their donuts and coffee. Maybe try to get a free lunch out of it, too.

Quick Reply: Another air bag recall?