Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 trade offer. Reliability?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 trade offer. Reliability?

Hey all,

So I currently own a Honda S2000 with 140k miles. The body is cut up for flares, but, it definitely isn't done completely wrong. I've got a trade offer for a 2005 Evo 8 GSR and I was hoping someone could help me out. His evo has 140k miles. Now, yes, my car has 140k miles too, but it's a Honda and they're certainly reliable at 140k. The problem is, I do not know much about evos and their reliability.

Here is the mod list that I have been supplied with about the evo 8 trade offer.

VRSF 3.5" intercooler
-Function and Form Coilovers
-Energy Suspension bushings on front lower control arms, rear control arms, rear diff, sway bars
-New Radiator last spring
-Timing belt/balance shaft belt, idler puller and oil filter housing gasket all replaced at 120k
-Custom Coil-On-Plug with OEM Honda Coils
-Custom LICP
-Custom Turboback exhaust with magna flow muffler
-Evo X BOV
-Perrin Silicone Intake
-Innovate Wideband
-Prosport Digital Boost Gauge (needs new sender)
-Walbro 255
-Exedy Stage 1 (replaced at 110k)
-All drivetrain fluid replaced last year
-New Pads and Rotors (calipers are faded but none are stuck or "bad"
-Whiteline RCA Kit
-Car just got a brand new WAVETRAC front diff and I have all the paperwork for it, as its still breaking in.

For the the most part, the mods look like better maintenance/upgraded maintenance parts, and not so much "go-fast" parts that one would usually worry about. The new front diff does give me some concern.

The car does have a common 5th grind, and from research, I've found that a simple flush of tranny fluid and use of a certain fluid can usually help out with the grind. I've also found that tranny rebuild kits really aren't that pricey, if willing to do it yourself.

Basically I'm hoping some of you guys can help me out with my questions: Is a 2005 evo 8 GSR (with these mods) reliable? As well as, is this 5th gear issue going to be more of a headache than I believe it to be?

Now obviously you cannot answer this first question for sure, but I'm trying to get an idea of what it will take for me to keep this car well maintained as a daily driver.

Any help is much appreciated!
Old Jul 4, 2018, 06:04 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
There are plenty of high mileage EvO examples. Its really dependent on proper maintenance & how it was treated

Heres a couple of threads that discuss high mileage. We do have an owner here who has crazy high miles (just cant think of his screen name)

Check these out:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/211771-current-highest-mileage-evolutions-merged.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...vo-club-7.html
Old Jul 5, 2018, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
I wouldn't call 5th gear grind common. If you're constantly slamming it into 5th then maybe, but common? no.

Technically GSR trim doesn't exist in USA, but everyone calls the base trim GSR here. GSR is a 6-speed overseas but isn't the MR trim.

check for oil leaks, check on the car tune, check compression, check if the car burns oil
Old Jul 5, 2018, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Have a compression and boost leak test done. Why was the radiator replaced and did it overheat when the old one crapped out? I'd want to know that.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by llDemonll
I wouldn't call 5th gear grind common. If you're constantly slamming it into 5th then maybe, but common? no.

Technically GSR trim doesn't exist in USA, but everyone calls the base trim GSR here. GSR is a 6-speed overseas but isn't the MR trim.

check for oil leaks, check on the car tune, check compression, check if the car burns oil
If it's not common, every Evo I have driven was beat to ****. Which is probably the case.

Driven 4, 5 speeds, all 4 had a "grind" in 5th.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
The evo can be just as reliable if maintained. Not too many issues with them and fairly cheap to fix as long as it's not drivetrain related. Both cars also will hold there resell value. There was also a tsb for the 5th gear grind. I'd just drive it like that until you need a clutch then have it fixed. I'd choose the evo over the s2000 any day but that's just me. Both car are different animals.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 03:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine was a lemon from the start, wish I would have kept my Honda BUT I do hear some stories of people owning evos and never having issues. I would bring a compression tester, spark plug socket, and a 10mm to check timing belt. I made the mistake purchasing mine when I was told "it needed a tune" turns out, it needed valves. My 5th gear also grinded, but that's at least a cheap enough fix, as posted just drive it as is until you need something replaced such as your clutch.

Modified cars are always a give or take, all it really comes down to is how well the previous owner(s) took care of it. Perhaps a carfax would be beneficial as well.