Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Safety recall questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2018, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BillAce
I have an AEM EMS UEGO that the wideband plugs into. I plugged in a laptop with a gauge display setup to monitor things until I put it back together
That's the same I have. Last time I unplugged the gauge from the Wideband connection and ran it down the block, it fried the sensor lol.
Might have just been bad luck I guess.
Thanks for the info!
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Oh ****, running the sensor with the gauge unplugged will fry the sensor? **** i was planning on doing the same thing.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nor11384
Oh ****, running the sensor with the gauge unplugged will fry the sensor? **** i was planning on doing the same thing.
I've always been told (including in the AEM manual, where it's stated) that you cannot run the sensor in the exhaust without power, or it will damage the sensor. Unless I'm missing something, I can't think of how to remove the gauge and still power the sensor, without removing the gauge from where it's mounted (for me above the steering wheel) and then temporarily storing it/ resting it in a location that is out of the way.

My other issue is that when the negative battery terminal is unplugged (which they will need to do), the fuel maps switch back to default. I run e85 primarily, but when unplugging the negative terminal, you have to hold down the gas pedal to swap back to e85. Starting the car up without doing so causes it to stall, so hopefully I can have a sheet of instructions for the techs when I go lol.
This is such a PITA to be honest. Good thing I care about my passengers
Old Jul 30, 2018, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive been dreading to take mine in also. Please report back after the service is done!
Old Jul 30, 2018, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Yeesh man I don’t want to have to buy another damn sensor. My wife is 7 mo pregnant and we still need to buy everything for the baby. So damn expensive now adays to have a kid. You’re gonna have to talk to the tech and explain the situation. Maybe after it’s done they’ll let you go back there and start it yourself. I know I’m putting mine in valet mode so they can’t rev over 3k rpm. I have a cousin who works at Nissan and he’s sent me videos joy riding gtrs. They don’t need to rev over 3k rpm, **** they don’t need to rev over 2500 rpms to move the car in the parking lot.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Took off off everything I could so it’s easy for them. Have my rev limiter map ready so they can’t go overs 2500 rpm. ****s going to putt putt around the parking lot lol.

Old Aug 1, 2018, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ive been in twice for this. Really comes down to who does the recall and how much they care.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

I bet. I’m going on today. I want to talk to the tech first.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

Just wanted to post: After a year, I finally got this taken care of. Not as bad as I expected, but not great either.
I went ahead and removed most of my stuff; center console gauges, radio, steering wheel gauges, etc. Tucked all the wiring back far enough that NOBODY should have needed to touch it. Keyword there is "should".
The day before I called them to confirm, and for maybe the third time told them DO NOT TOUCH MY ECU. I put tape over the ECU anyways, and took pics of everything before the service.
Took it in at 10am, they gave me the crappiest car on the lot as a loaner, and then by 6pm I had my car back.
And of course, they "accidentally" cut my Wideband wiring....which is odd, as I had EVERYTHING tucked away very nice and neat to avoid it.
Expecting something would happen, I fortunately had some tools with me when I got back to the dealership, as I didn't want to run my Wideband without power and be out a sensor.
All in all, they say they replaced it but I can't tell the difference between the two lol.
Since most of my dash was already apart, they didn't have too much to put back/ mess up, so I think that is the key here!
The following users liked this post:
empunker (Apr 24, 2019)
Old Apr 24, 2019, 09:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Glad to hear, I'm going to get mine done soon...