Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Sound Deaden For Less Road Noise

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2018, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Debating on dynamat, noico, or soundskins.

going to start buying the material and lay it out, cant deal with the noise
Old Sep 1, 2018, 09:46 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
how many square feet are you looking for?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 09:58 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
A noisy Evo? Noooo! Shoulda bought a BMW.

:P

Dynamat works well.. there is also a company that makes a foam version. It's lighter and works well. I'm not sure how it compares to dynamat, but I have a friend with a stereo shop that can tell me, if I ask. I can call him up if ya want.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jp7
how many square feet are you looking for?
not sure I plan on doing the entire car
- floors
- roof
- doors
- firewall
- trunk

want to have it done by next summer
Old Sep 2, 2018, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
A noisy Evo? Noooo! Shoulda bought a BMW.

:P

Dynamat works well.. there is also a company that makes a foam version. It's lighter and works well. I'm not sure how it compares to dynamat, but I have a friend with a stereo shop that can tell me, if I ask. I can call him up if ya want.
lol I had a BMW but hated that car

it gives me a headache when driving for long period of time, I dont mind the noise but if I can lower it and make it quieter without sacrificing power then thats good for me. Im going to add a resonator pipe to replace the test pipe thats on there.

when im done it should be ALOT more enjoyable.

plus I already solved the overheating issue with the half radiator. Now just trying to figure out the AC issue and ill have the perfect dream car.

yes if you could let me know, ill probably do the dynamat and the foam for the floor to reduce the noise dramatically
Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:43 AM
kaj

When I put the stock turbo-back on, the car was SO much quieter. It is a lot nicer, no doubt. Unfortunately, our cars weren't made to be quiet, so you will be fighting an uphill battle the friend of mine with the shop used dynamat on every inch of his interior. I think it added 100-150lbs or so (not sure, but it was substantial) but made a HUGE difference. If you aren't racing your car, you'll never notice the weight difference. FWIW putting in all that dynamat was NOT fun. Many razor blades, lacerations (the foil backing on dynamat is very sharp), and bars of lava (to get the "tar" off your hands) later, it was done. Then again, when was anything on these cars "easy"? haha.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:26 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
When I put the stock turbo-back on, the car was SO much quieter. It is a lot nicer, no doubt. Unfortunately, our cars weren't made to be quiet, so you will be fighting an uphill battle the friend of mine with the shop used dynamat on every inch of his interior. I think it added 100-150lbs or so (not sure, but it was substantial) but made a HUGE difference. If you aren't racing your car, you'll never notice the weight difference. FWIW putting in all that dynamat was NOT fun. Many razor blades, lacerations (the foil backing on dynamat is very sharp), and bars of lava (to get the "tar" off your hands) later, it was done. Then again, when was anything on these cars "easy"? haha.
Razor blade is damn right. I cut myself a few times. I have a ported subwoofer box in both of my other cars with a 12" sub. I have a 5 channel amp and amplified component speakers for highs. I actually build the boxes myself and tune the frequency responses to the vehicles. The quiet ride was an added bonus but the main reason I wanted to do the deadener was to get better audio performance. I always strip the entire interior all at once and go to town. I will see how much I have left if you want some of mine. Let me know how much you need.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
If you didn't read www.sounddeadenershowdown.com and educate yourself, then what you're doing will work OK but definitely won't be the best results.

Read it, then re-think what your plans are.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 05:08 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by llDemonll
If you didn't read www.sounddeadenershowdown.com and educate yourself, then what you're doing will work OK but definitely won't be the best results.

Read it, then re-think what your plans are.
The CLD he sells looks and sounds exactly like Dynamat, unless I missed something.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
That part is true, but there's also the MLV which is the key for deadening. CLD and dynamat and all those similar products are only meant to stop vibration, not stop noise. they just happen to work because they have some amount of adhesive (rubber) to them, but not nearly as well as MLV
Old Sep 4, 2018, 02:06 PM
kaj

Absolutely. Dynamat is really to keep panels from vibrating while playing subs at crazy volume. A side benefit is also working the other direction which quiets down the car. I didn't go too into detail about the foam I mentioned because I assume OP had researched all this already, giving him benefit of the doubt.
But yeah, adding other forms of deadening definitely helps and may even work better, depending on brands, how far you are willing to go, etc.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by llDemonll
That part is true, but there's also the MLV which is the key for deadening. CLD and dynamat and all those similar products are only meant to stop vibration, not stop noise. they just happen to work because they have some amount of adhesive (rubber) to them, but not nearly as well as MLV
would you suggest dynomat and the mlv or just the mlv with foam? I dont care about weight savings the car is fast enough just want to be more enjoyable and quiet as possible