Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Sound Deaden For Less Road Noise

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2018, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Sound Deaden For Less Road Noise

Looked all over google to see if any Evo owners used Dynamat to reduce road noise.

Is it a complete difference in the cabin? I want to attempt it but would hate to spend the money if it does not make a difference.

radio has to be on 44 in order for me to hear while driving. Just want a quieter evo
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
I’m not sure how much Dynamat will help but you could try adding Jute Padding. Evo’s (CT9A) are not well insulated from exterior sounds and dont have that much of Jute Padding. The RS versions are even worse. Here is a link or you can probably find at a home improvement store near you , Lowes, Home Depot etc.. https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_t...66-388437.html

Also, under the rear seat there is a rubber mat the engineers added to the car. I believe they probably added it for sound reduction purposes. I wonder if adding something similar to the rest of the floor will make a difference ... ?
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
I have seen posts on here of people doing sound deadening and saying it works. They only complain about it making the car heavier.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:25 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
I have 3 cars- on 2 of them (not the evo) I completely detrimmed the entire interior and "dynamatted" every square inch of the trim, and sheetmetal. It made a tremendous difference and the cars sound like luxury cars now. The main reason I did this was to reduce rattles (I have aftermarket audio and a subwoofer in each of them) I did not use dynamatt, I used a much better OEM variant of the dynamatt. It lowers the natural frequency of vibration and makes it respond less those kinds of sounds.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
A lot of good sound deadening information can be found here.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I did a lot of high end competition audio systems and would cover metal and the back of interior panels with deadening to prevent any rattles or interior noises from being heard. I've added 100's of lbs to some cars. In my own Evo RS I figured if I'm going to add weight to a car to block out road noise I would just put a simple system in. Head Unit, front 6" & tweeter components and a single free air sub. I did add a few small pieces of deadening where the interior rattled.
If you're going to add sound deadening I like Hushmat, it adds some density and blocks more than just dynamat
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Jp7
I have 3 cars- on 2 of them (not the evo) I completely detrimmed the entire interior and "dynamatted" every square inch of the trim, and sheetmetal. It made a tremendous difference and the cars sound like luxury cars now. The main reason I did this was to reduce rattles (I have aftermarket audio and a subwoofer in each of them) I did not use dynamatt, I used a much better OEM variant of the dynamatt. It lowers the natural frequency of vibration and makes it respond less those kinds of sounds.
What is the “OEM variant of the dynamatt” you used ?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by MasterNater
A lot of good sound deadening information can be found here.
this is the correct answer. sound deadener showdown has TONS of great info

dynamat is a material meant to stop resonation, not block noise.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks everyone, I could care less about weight, the car is quick enough and I could pull off a few things to make it lighter anyways.

ill check out the thread and the oem variant sound deadner
Old Aug 26, 2018, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jp7
which variant did you use? I would prefer to get the same thing if possible so i can make the car quieter.

thats exactly what im looking for is that luxury noise quality or close to it
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
Interesting thread. Being an SSL (Cadillac Evo FTW) fan myself, this would be tempting to do on an SSL car if you could really make the interior of the car quiet like a luxury car inside.

Would be good info to hear your results after you get it done.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kpt6
Interesting thread. Being an SSL (Cadillac Evo FTW) fan myself, this would be tempting to do on an SSL car if you could really make the interior of the car quiet like a luxury car inside.

Would be good info to hear your results after you get it done.
i plan on doing it sometime this year along with a rear mounted radiator setup so i can do AC with my forward face and replace the radiator with an AC condensor as well. Ill for sure post results
Old Aug 28, 2018, 04:08 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by steven121

which variant did you use? I would prefer to get the same thing if possible so i can make the car quieter.

thats exactly what im looking for is that luxury noise quality or close to it
OEMs buy this material from the same companies that sell it publicly- but at much lesser costs. Because I have many contacts in automotive, I was able to purchase a large quantity of the good stuff at a much better price.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Jp7
OEMs buy this material from the same companies that sell it publicly- but at much lesser costs. Because I have many contacts in automotive, I was able to purchase a large quantity of the good stuff at a much better price.
what is the “good stuff”?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 07:11 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GSX_TO_EVO

what is the “good stuff”?
toyota/lexus OEM stuff