Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Resale Values

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resale Values

So I'm worried about resale value because I dont intend on having my evo forever as I'm sure the purchase of my first home/ unforeseen catastrophe can change things in a blink. So I'm staying away from salvage/rebuilt titles. But how badly does a clean title with an accident affect that. Like specifically I'm looking at an 05 MR with right under 50k "all stock". What would you pay for it?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 05:18 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Dont think an accident alone will affect the resale IMO. A Salvage title, yes, for sure will affect it

Resale values have certainly climbed for the CT9A chassis but w/out seeing the Ad for this particular EvO, very hard to say what it
might be worth

Old Oct 20, 2018, 06:04 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
It depends on severity of accident, and depends on the state of maintenance and condition of the car. Assuming a clean PPI, very minor accident, and current maintenance I would probably guess 17-20k.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 07:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 160 Likes on 117 Posts
I'm in the market right now actually for a used evo...I'll tell you exactly what I'm looking for as a buyer. My budget is $16,000, not a lot of people have over $10,000+ saved up I fall into the same boat. I'm getting financed through a credit union local to me, they're the only ones that will even consider a car over 10+ years old with around 125,000 miles. I actually needed to lookup a couple different credit unions near me as some cut the lending year at 10 years. Being that most evo's 8-9's are all out of this 10 year mark it's going to be really hard to find buyers for these older niche cars.

That being said i'm looking for a super clean evo 8-9:
-prefer a gsr without moonroof (don't want to deal with the 6sp 4th gear issue) as stock as possible
-with lower miles (under that 125,000 miles)
-no accidents
-few owners
-interior/ exterior few to little imperfections (I understand it's a 10yr + car I don't expect it to be perfect but I also don't expect rips, tears, or clear coat oxidation)
-mods are fine as long as they're quality mods and installed correctly not all janky.
-scheduled maintenance (ie. time belt, idler bearings, spark plugs, rad fluid, engine oil, trans oil, f/r diff oil, t-case oil, ps fluid, brakes and brake fluid, filters, etc.)
-honesty...this is a big one for me! Just be honest when selling a car I hate it when people lie or bend the truth grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old Oct 30, 2018, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSoEVO
I'm in the market right now actually for a used evo...I'll tell you exactly what I'm looking for as a buyer. My budget is $16,000, not a lot of people have over $10,000+ saved up I fall into the same boat. I'm getting financed through a credit union local to me, they're the only ones that will even consider a car over 10+ years old with around 125,000 miles. I actually needed to lookup a couple different credit unions near me as some cut the lending year at 10 years. Being that most evo's 8-9's are all out of this 10 year mark it's going to be really hard to find buyers for these older niche cars.

That being said i'm looking for a super clean evo 8-9:
-prefer a gsr without moonroof (don't want to deal with the 6sp 4th gear issue) as stock as possible
-with lower miles (under that 125,000 miles)
-no accidents
-few owners
-interior/ exterior few to little imperfections (I understand it's a 10yr + car I don't expect it to be perfect but I also don't expect rips, tears, or clear coat oxidation)
-mods are fine as long as they're quality mods and installed correctly not all janky.
-scheduled maintenance (ie. time belt, idler bearings, spark plugs, rad fluid, engine oil, trans oil, f/r diff oil, t-case oil, ps fluid, brakes and brake fluid, filters, etc.)
-honesty...this is a big one for me! Just be honest when selling a car I hate it when people lie or bend the truth grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Just to clarify... Only the SSL came with moonroof (and leather interior) and only came with 5 spd. Only the MR cam with 6spd and really unless you track/launch hard the 4th gear is not an issue. Good luck on your search.. finding a "super clean" evo that meets all your criteria will be VERY hard to find for less than $20k.
The following users liked this post:
SoSoEVO (Nov 6, 2018)
Old Oct 30, 2018, 08:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Evo9isLife
Just to clarify... Only the SSL came with moonroof (and leather interior) and only came with 5 spd. Only the MR cam with 6spd and really unless you track/launch hard the 4th gear is not an issue. Good luck on your search.. finding a "super clean" evo that meets all your criteria will be VERY hard to find for less than $20k.
Thanks man!

Yes I do know that...I plan to take the evo to the track regularly as this won't be my dd but my weekend fun car so I'm trying to stay away from MR's but that seems to be all that's out there at the moment. I'm actually going to look at a pretty clean MR SE this weekend for under $20k, but yes I do realize I'm going to have "look" for those kind of deals. I'm very realistic when it comes to how clean the car can be for the price...not looking for a barely driven evo in pristine condition (those are around $20,000 +). But I'm also not looking for a trashed evo, I'm not in a rush or anything and have been looking for a while now.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 09:13 AM
kaj

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Thanks man!

Yes I do know that...I plan to take the evo to the track regularly as this won't be my dd but my weekend fun car so I'm trying to stay away from MR's but that seems to be all that's out there at the moment. I'm actually going to look at a pretty clean MR SE this weekend for under $20k, but yes I do realize I'm going to have "look" for those kind of deals. I'm very realistic when it comes to how clean the car can be for the price...not looking for a barely driven evo in pristine condition (those are around $20,000 +). But I'm also not looking for a trashed evo, I'm not in a rush or anything and have been looking for a while now.
Buy an MR, sell me the 6spd, then swap on a 5spd.
Easy peasy!
Old Oct 30, 2018, 09:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kaj
Easy peasy!
Hmmmmm maybe...just maybe LOL!
Old Oct 30, 2018, 09:27 AM
kaj

Hmmmmm maybe...just maybe LOL!
Except 6spds sell for <$500 which is a bummer. But I'd drive to pick up a decent one..
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Easy peasy!
Lol there are very few that appreciate how good the 6spd feels like we do
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
As mentioned above there are Evos around and many are wrecked salvage cars and some are not. Finding a clean well cared for one is very hard to find as I went down this path looking. Like others, you will see old posts of people finding the used Evo they bought took time and patience. In my case it was 6 months and the seller had a buyer in line before me. In fact I gave up on the car I ended up getting all because buyer couldn't get the loan to make the deal. Seller called me back 3 days later saying car was mine. Evo's are getting harder to find in general, look on the web on top selling platforms and search for an Evo. The for sale ads are diminishing. The Evo 8s have more market share due to production but the 9s are being held onto. You will find an Evo but bring up the budget as mentioned. This will allow you more options and not kicking yourself for letting a good one slip through your hands. Another sign these cars are in high demand is dealers are seeking them out to mark them up too.
I follow another side of the Evo market and not sure many do on here. The number of these cars being totaled or sent to salvage yards is high. As these cars end up wrecked and damaged with low production numbers, I can only see them climbing in value. I also watch the number of STI for sale as someone in the market for an Evo might consider the Subi and the Subi market has always been flooded with cars to buy.
Op, keep your eye out and maybe a problem Evo might show up or a project someone has given up on. This could be an angle worth perusing. With a forum like this and a wealth of knowledge of these cars finding a given up project might be hard though. Happy Hunting,
SoSoEVO (Oct 30, 2018)
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:40 AM
kaj

+1 for being patient. Occasionally, I see Evos for reasonable prices (the owner doesn't think he has the rarest car in the world). It's a mass-produced Japanese sedan. They are cool and all, but not god's gift to cars
Shop around, make decent offers, and something will work out. I see decent Evos in the $15-20k range, which still shocks me. If you aren't worried about every little HP you can get and aren't into road racing/Autox-type of stuff, then stick with an VIII. You get different front diffs and no MIVEC, but you will save a lot of money.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
Location is going to have a lot to do with the pricing. Here in Socal, everything is expensive. I paid a premium for my car but to me it was 100% worth it. Clean, low mile Evos are very hard to find now that they are old cars. The seller of my car was asking $27k for it. I paid a couple thousand less then that but again, 100% worth it to me. Mine is a 06 MR SE with 50K miles. Was not modified besides a cat back, not one dent, no curbed wheels, interior looks brand new, new tires, newer brakes and needed absolutely nothing to be a DD. As everyone else is saying, wait for the right one to pop up. It will be worth it!
Old Oct 30, 2018, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
SoSoEvo, unfortunately everyone wants the kind of car you’re after so even if they do exist they get snapped up really quickly.

You would need to be patient, lucky or both to find one that suits your budget. In the meantime keep saving your pennies and dimes so you can jump on the right car with cash in hand when it comes along.
SoSoEVO (Nov 6, 2018)
Old Oct 30, 2018, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Momentum1
So I'm worried about resale value because I dont intend on having my evo forever as I'm sure the purchase of my first home/ unforeseen catastrophe can change things in a blink. So I'm staying away from salvage/rebuilt titles. But how badly does a clean title with an accident affect that. Like specifically I'm looking at an 05 MR with right under 50k "all stock". What would you pay for it?
OP, https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/d/evo-9/6727412734.html
maybe worth a look at.