Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 9 or 2015+ STI

Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:11 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 814 Likes on 778 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post
Wow, I'm 50 / My GF has a newer Outback and heated seats and mirrors are awesome!
Originally Posted by barneyb View Post
That's funny, I'm 72 and I still run the KYB suspension in a town full of RR tracks and I keep reading how the Evo is not an old person's car. Ask me how I spent Christmas (Hint: wrenching on a broken Subaru).
Both of you characters are doing well. W/Barney still rolling into the EvO throttle at 72 & Steve at 50 & w/a GF

Amazing
Old Dec 26, 2018, 01:33 PM
kaj
Evolved Member

Received 298 Likes on 284 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post
Ha! Well, you handily beat me for the old man of EvoM award; you'll live forever driving that car as it will keep you feeling young These spoiled kids today needing heated seats and mirrors and a cushy ride Back in my day we walked to school- in the snow, uphill, both ways! Ok, that's a joke but I actually had to a few times.

In a way, it's all relative I guess- my first two cars (~30 years ago) didn't even have air conditioning; power steering and power disc brakes were as much as they offered as far as comfort as they were 15-20 yrs old at the time. "Muscle cars" rode about as rough as an Evo, were slower, were more temperamental, and got 10-15 MPG. In my 2006 MR with AC, PW, PDL... I feel fairly modern until I ride in a newer car- which have advanced quite a lot.
That's why you roll with one of these..

Aaaaannd one of these:

Both ends of the spectrum covered. No need to compromise. Next is a truck to tow the "race" car. Woot.
Dailying the Evo was okay when I had full interior and a nice stereo. If it were my only car ,that's how it would be and 100% manageable.
I never understood those that daily drive the cars and complain about them. Change something or quit whining

Buying the second car is the BEST thing I've done in regards to owning my Evo. LOL

Old Dec 26, 2018, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 114 Likes on 105 Posts
Speaking of how cars used to be, out of college, since I figured I'd immediately be drafted, I bought a new 1970 Ford Maverick for my bride to drive - for payments of $33.13 a month for three years with the trade-in of my 67 VW. No power steering, brakes or A/C and 13 inch wheels. The AM radio didn't work brand new but I found there was a tuning slug for the antenna. This thing was powered, if that's the word, by a 170 cubic inch straight six that produced thirty some horse power at the rear wheels, rear wheels that had no interest in moving the car in snow. Driving in snow required chains.

One day I visited a warehouse tire sale and found a stack of 13 inch tires, even in those days hard to find, and the salesman said, "You don't want those, those are radials." I bought them and what a difference! Next I installed A/C. The radiator was the size of a cereal box so I wondered if the engine would cool with a large condenser in front of it but it was fine. That little beer can on wheels made many cross country trips before rusting away.

On the other hand, my Evo had been my ride for 16 years and has never left me on the side of the road. Its the best car I've owned.
The following users liked this post:
ctfpevoVIII (Dec 26, 2018)
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you want a fast car, buy the sti, if you want to win races, buy an evo.
But seriously, and evo 9 is a race car, even in stock form. A 15 sti is a comfortable fast car.
I love my 8 and would never trade it for a comfort race car. I have a daily driver automatic for comfort.
will you enjoy both, sure..
For sure you have to drive both, its a big purchase.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 06:08 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 814 Likes on 778 Posts
Originally Posted by slocho View Post
If you want a fast car, buy the sti, if you want to win races, buy an evo.
But seriously, and evo 9 is a race car, even in stock form. A 15 sti is a comfortable fast car.
I love my 8 and would never trade it for a comfort race car. I have a daily driver automatic for comfort.
will you enjoy both, sure..
For sure you have to drive both, its a big purchase.
I certainly like your comments, but calling the EvO9 a race car is a bit of a stretch, dont ya think?

I would clarify that by saying the EvO line is more of a good base for a race car, but its certainly no race car out the gate
Old Dec 27, 2018, 06:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious View Post
I certainly like your comments, but calling the EvO9 a race car is a bit of a stretch, dont ya think?

I would clarify that by saying the EvO line is more of a good base for a race car, but its certainly no race car out the gate
Much better said haha!
I actually considered an sti at the time i purchased my 8. Im glad i went with the 8 but i did drive an 04 sti and it was also a very fun car.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 06:48 AM
kaj
Evolved Member

Received 298 Likes on 284 Posts
Originally Posted by slocho View Post
Much better said haha!
I actually considered an sti at the time i purchased my 8. Im glad i went with the 8 but i did drive an 04 sti and it was also a very fun car.
As much as I dislike Subarus, I did like my '05 WRX and that model STi is the one I like most (U.S. Models ,anyway). That would have been a good choice as a daily driver.
IMO, Subarus are fine, as long as you don't mod the engine.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts
I think the Evo 9 is a pretty tolerable around town daily driver. We also have a 2016 C300, and while the Evo is definitely more noisy and jostles more, its not uncomfortable for around town drives. And the entertainment of driving an Evo makes it all worth it. I'll drive my Evo around town anytime over the C300. Now for a long road trip (2+ hours), I'll take the C300.

And its super easy to make power with an Evo. Keep in mind that you might have a hard time finding an Evo that hasn't been beat-on. Lots of people mod the hell out of their Evo, and when they decide to sell, the put it back to stock. So look carefully for signs of modification.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not the exact cars you said but. Here is my opinion. I own a IX 2006 ~70k miles (stock only tein coil overs, binary eng seat brackets and random things like LEDs) and my nephew owns a WRX 2016 NON-STI Premium ~20k miles(Cat back and acessport stage 1 tune). Having driven both It is a tough call. The evo feels more raw more fun to drive more nimble, quick and responsive. The wrx feels more refined or maybe smoother. I really like some of the modern and extra things in the wrx like the double din, back up camera and cruse control. The wrx feels smaller inside slightly cramped left to right in the seat, less headroom wrx has a sunroof and the seats feel very high. My evo is [color=left=#2e2d2c]almost like sitting on the floor (I love that). Acceleration the wrx feels as if it builds power smoother from a lower rpm like 2000-2500. I don't really feel any or very little turbo lag. In the evo I feel more turbo lag, it really starts to build boost around 3800 rpm but the evo feels faster and pulls harder. Interior looks the Wrx looks more updated and modern (maybe because It is ha) but I do really like the evo interior a lot. Exterior I love the front end of the evo 9 the back end seems kind of bland other then the big spoiler. On the wrx the front is nice and the rear looks a little better(mostly because all the aftermarket options for tail lights). Road noise is less in the Wrx.

All in all I prefer my evo 9 mr to his wrx. That said if I would have gotten a wrx instead I am sure I would love that car just as much.

And yes I know a lot of the things I don't like so much with my evo I can and will fix most of them (road noise, cruise control, Radio etc)[/color]
Kevine326 (Jan 26, 2019)
Old Dec 27, 2018, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have driven both. It depends what you want to do with the car. The 15 sti has a more modern interior/other features, it would make a slightly better daily than an 8/9 but if you are after a daily with comfort features than there are better options out there. Dollar per dollar mod wise evos are faster/make more power than an sti. The evo feels lighter on its feet, more direct, nimble... the 15 sti has many complaints about the clutch feel, its terrible, my brother has an aftermarket act clutch and even after adjusting it several times it just feels weird. Another thing is the ej257 is really sensitive to knock, ringlands easily crack from detonation and spun bearings are really common, a good tune that never detonates will help keep it together but on a stock long block you will never make the power an evo will without it blowing within a few pulls. If you plan on building it then i guess its all about preference. I drive stis often because one of my hobbies is open source tuning, I help a lot of local subaru owners keep their ejs from blowing apart but as for myself lol.... EVO!!!
Old Dec 28, 2018, 03:29 AM

I have owned 2 STI, i personally think that the STI is a better daily driver stock for stock, or bolt on for bolt on! Although the STI has a really hard time making power and doesn't feel as much as a "drivers car" compared to the EVO. I like the EVO much more. Get the EVO!
Old Dec 28, 2018, 07:34 AM

A friend of mine has a 15 WRX and another has a 12 STI. I used to daily my Evo 8 and I would choose that car over any of the other Subarus if I was only going to have the one car. I'll say the Subaru is probably easier to live with as I wouldn't care as much if people were dinging the doors or it gets loaded up with road salt over the winters but I'd enjoy driving more if I was in the Evo every time.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:12 PM

The EVO 9 is the best EVO ever made in my opinion. Try and find a SE model.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 09:46 AM

Missing my Evo ix! That said, lots of good cars out there for the price the Evo's are trading for.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Hi there I come from the Suby world, I had a STI swapped 2.5rs you can see a couple pics in my build thread. I would choose a clean evo all day vs a newer sti, don't get me wrong the STI is a nice car but the main limiting factor is the the ej series motors that it be the wrx version ej255 or sti ej257 not the newer FA20 engine wrx's (those have their problems too LOL). They just don't like taking a beating I had a bought new 09 WRX as well so i've had both ej255 and ej257. Once you build the motors with forged internals it will last but that's just opening up another can of worms, many guys on here know how much of a headache it is to build a motor. In stock forms those engines have rod bearing issues and if you turn up the boost get ready for some possible cracked ringlands. My 09 WRX cracked a ringland at Willow Springs, the car was lightly modded engine wise it had a turbo back (catless), upgraded tmic, injectors, and 255 wally. Was protuned by Paul at Yimisport on 91 octane 306whp/ 316wtq (same tuner for Jager Racing sti) told him I wanted a safer tune and still ended up cracking a ringland at the track. I was so bummed out this was my first Subaru I always watched the rally races on tv or anything motorsport with Subaru. I figured that the engine should be able to hold up with light duty at the track but guess not. I replaced the cracked ringland piston with another oem one, parted the car out and sold it to Carmax.

I still had the Subaru bug and decided a few years later to buy a used 2.5rs coupe and build it up. The 2.5rs was the car I saw on all the rally races on TV so that's the car I wanted.

My sti swapped 2.5rs (06 sti drivetrain) was just a lil more done up motor wise it had an upgraded turbo, injectors, pump, upgraded tmic, protuned at FSR Motorsports (a Supra shop) on e85 404whp/ 398wtq, the car only weighed 2700lbs without me in it. I never took it to the track because I was afraid of the stock bottom end doing the same thing my 09 did so just normal street driving and spirited canyon runs. Even then I was having issues with the bearings...they were slowly starting to wear. I sent the oil analysis to Blackstone labs before I wanted to take it to the track but decided not to after the bearing results. So I just started saving for a built motor but just like evo m so many people were having built motor problems on nasioc and it just scared me away. I ended up selling my 2.5rs and recently picking up a Evo 9 SE and have been loving it ever since. Subaru is definitely a lil more soft...meaning it's a easier car to drive, the evo has it's quirks I'm sure you already know that. The Evo I feel is a lil more raw feeling and the fit n finish is a lil rough around the edges, but the steering feel of the Evo is leaps and bounds better than Subaru. Granted the 2015 STI's got a quicker steering rack 13:1 vs the older STI 15:1 I haven't driven a 2015 but I have driven a 2014 so the steering feel might be different between the 2 racks. On my 09 I had various bushings upgraded and on my 2.5rs I had most if not all bushing replaced so it wasn't worn bushings vs new. If anything my evo has worn bushing with 130k on it and the steering still feels better than the Subaru. The 6spd transmissions in the sti's are super stout they can handle a bunch of power not like the Evo where the 5sp is more desirable for power.

So granted most of my opinions are coming more from a motorsport standpoint than DD. I've mentioned this in my build thread but I really like how few Evo's there are out now, it's kinda like being part of an exclusive club when driving the Evo around and seeing another one haha. I have already taken the Evo out on track and it performed well (only have CBE, everything else engine is stock). I never once thought about something happening to my engine, that's after weeks of religiously reading up about the car on here haha.

I'm not sure how you plan on paying for the cars but getting an Evo financed can be hard since it's already older than 10yrs. Most brick n mortar financial institutions won't finance a car over 10yrs old, I had to go through Pedfed to get my Evo financed. But if you have cash saved up then you don't need to worry about that. Last thing is how hard it is actually to find a clean evo...most higher mileage ones are beat, and the lower pristine condition ones are $$$$. So you may get tired of looking for the perfect evo and end up getting a sti since you'll probably find a cleaner STI with the mileage you want before the Evo.

PS. I don't DD my Evo.

Last edited by SoSoEVO; Jan 3, 2019 at 01:59 PM.
Kevine326 (Jan 26, 2019)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.