Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Tomei Cali exhaust law

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tomei Cali exhaust law

Planning to buy full tomei system. Downpipe, testpipe, and catback for my evo 9. Was worried about the new exhaust law here in Cali. Does anyone know with those parts if will pass the 95 decibels? If not, would the silencer it comes with help at all? Tnx
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
A system that is going to pass 95 DB noise will have to have a big muffler and/or resonator. To be sure the system passes it should have both a resonator and "big" muffler. The typical round canister mufflers are not good enough. You should be looking at an oval muffler if the system does not have a resonator. Also if you are going with a test pipe then a canister muffler is not what you want because it looks aftermarket and it will draw attention to the exhaust that does not have a cat.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
I have the Tomei catback portion now and it is very loud so if noise is a concern that would not be my first choice but rather one of my last pics.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
I had the Tomei with a HFC and 2.75" DP. It was very very loud. No way it would pass sound laws. Now I have an RRE Stealth and its very quiet. Doesnt look or sound as good but I sure dont get bothered.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
As mentioned, it is noticeably louder than other options. I recently copied another member's idea and painted the silencer black before installing it (until all of this calms down or changes over time). No issues so far driving alongside and next to PD or CHP heh. Small aesthetic price to pay for peace of mind.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll measure my tomei expreme Ti on my X if that helps. Sound did come down noticeably once the exhaust settled. To compare, my pals AMS catted system is louder than my non-catted Expreme
Old Jan 15, 2019, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Franco Saval
I'll measure my tomei expreme Ti on my X if that helps. Sound did come down noticeably once the exhaust settled. To compare, my pals AMS catted system is louder than my non-catted Expreme
ok thanks. That might help. Do u have all tomei system?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That exhaust is just loud period regardless. It would never pass in socal...
Old Jan 23, 2019, 01:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
In Socal you don't want to take any chances, especially now with the most recent punishment law. Check out the Tanabe Touring Medalion exhaust. I've run it for the past 9 years and it still looks great, sounds great. It is quieter than most cat back systems during cruise, and is very nonrestrictive. I made a ton of power with this exhaust and I can enjoy my music too, Believe me when I say this will help keep the cops off your *** and your neighbors happy.

Here is a short dyno clip of my own car with this exhaust, 3" downpipe and a test pipe. It will even quieter when it's new and has a HFC.

Old Jan 23, 2019, 02:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 160 Likes on 117 Posts
You're going to want to run the Tomei CBE with the silencer, that's the only way it will be under 95db. My evo 9 is stock besides the Tomei Expreme and with the silencer it's really quite, without the silencer it's questionable...just cruising it will probably pass the 95db but revving/ WOT/ or cold starts def not going to be under 95db. I'm currently just running the silencer until these "exhaust laws" cool down a bit.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by SoSoEVO
You're going to want to run the Tomei CBE with the silencer, that's the only way it will be under 95db. My evo 9 is stock besides the Tomei Expreme and with the silencer it's really quite, without the silencer it's questionable...just cruising it will probably pass the 95db but revving/ WOT/ or cold starts def not going to be under 95db. I'm currently just running the silencer until these "exhaust laws" cool down a bit.

In planning to run all tomei syatem; downpipe, testpipe, and the cbe. If i have the silencer on, would it still run quiet? With downpipe and testpipe installed? Tnx
Old Jan 23, 2019, 05:39 PM

Sounds nice. I will look into defintely. But my two choices right now are tomei ti and greddy rs. Tnx
Old Jan 23, 2019, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Pal215
In Socal you don't want to take any chances, especially now with the most recent punishment law. Check out the Tanabe Touring Medalion exhaust. I've run it for the past 9 years and it still looks great, sounds great. It is quieter than most cat back systems during cruise, and is very nonrestrictive. I made a ton of power with this exhaust and I can enjoy my music too, Believe me when I say this will help keep the cops off your *** and your neighbors happy.

Here is a short dyno clip of my own car with this exhaust, 3" downpipe and a test pipe. It will even quieter when it's new and has a HFC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRcQ7Gv1bsc
sounds nice and quiet. I will look into it. My two choices right now tho are tomei and greddy rs. Tnx
Old Jan 23, 2019, 09:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
I had the Tomei with a HFC and 2.75" DP. It was very very loud. No way it would pass sound laws. Now I have an RRE Stealth and its very quiet. Doesnt look or sound as good but I sure dont get bothered.
I really want the RRE Stealth but I don’t think they sell it anymore. I may have to go secondhand or piece together my own version unless you know something I don’t. My AMS TBE is too loud.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo Arcana

I really want the RRE Stealth but I don’t think they sell it anymore. I may have to go secondhand or piece together my own version unless you know something I don’t. My AMS TBE is too loud.
As far as I know, they still make it once you order it, just give them a call. There could also be a delay with everything going on now too.