Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What is my car worth in todays market?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2019, 05:09 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
For those that try to justify a high asking price based on the Supra:

A mildly-built Supra will still keep up with most modern cars, without breaking a sweat... like, forever. I can see it still being a desirable car. An Evo is already being left behind unless the owner performs some pretty major changes.

I don't think there will be enough Evo fans nor low enough numbers to keep prices high. I guess it depends on how stubborn the community decides to be and if they are able to keep sales/purchases among themselves, as the casual buyer will never over pay for a Lancer.

Being on an Evo forum, I know I'm in the minority in thinking this way, but I try to think bigger. Believe me, I'd LOVE for my car to be worth $20k. I just don't see it happening.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm going to have to disagree with you kaj.

The reason these cars are desirable is not how fast they are nor what they can keep up with - stock or modded. If you want fast, go buy a Mustang 5.0 for $25k. The reason they are desirable is because they have that special something that comes from being greater than the sum of their parts. They offer a unique driving experience that very few modern cars can, especially at their current prices. They are simple, analog, direct. It's the same reason why select Japanese cars are slowly going up (Supra, RX7, NSX, S2000) and the same reason why cars like the 911 are going up 300% in the past 5 years: there is no modern equivalent to them. To the person who says collectors have no interest in a souped up Japanese sedan, you don't understand this car. Read the most recent EVO article comparing the P1 and TME for more context.

Speaking as someone who drove one of the first EVO 7's on US soil back in 2002 and who bought one of the first EVO VIII's that went on sale, I love these cars. I am not the only one. My VIII is one of the few cars I have ever regretted selling and I've owned some pretty special ones. I'm also someone who recently purchased a time capsule EVO 9 from an original owner with full documentation and paid a premium for it. Why, because it's worth it to me. If I find my perfect car, I'll likely buy another. What I did find in my search is VERY few unmolested, clean, well preserved specimens. They may have been produced in large number but go find an all original car that was actually taken care of and not beat to within an inch of its life. They are rare. Also, go look in the FS section where the WTB ads outnumber the FS ads.

Will EVO's ever be worth big money like the Supra? Only time will tell. For now, a super clean, original EVO is a 20-30k car easily.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:19 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by ChrisF

The reason these cars are desirable is not how fast they are nor what they can keep up with - stock or modded. If you want fast, go buy a Mustang 5.0 for $25k. The reason they are desirable is because they have that special something that comes from being greater than the sum of their parts. They offer a unique driving experience that very few modern cars can, especially at their current prices. They are simple, analog, direct. It's the same reason why select Japanese cars are slowly going up (Supra, RX7, NSX, S2000) and the same reason why cars like the 911 are going up 300% in the past 5 years: there is no modern equivalent to them. To the person who says collectors have no interest in a souped up Japanese sedan, you don't understand this car. Read the most recent EVO article comparing the P1 and TME for more context.

Speaking as someone who drove one of the first EVO 7's on US soil back in 2002 and who bought one of the first EVO VIII's that went on sale, I love these cars. I am not the only one. My VIII is one of the few cars I have ever regretted selling and I've owned some pretty special ones. I'm also someone who recently purchased a time capsule EVO 9 from an original owner with full documentation and paid a premium for it. Why, because it's worth it to me. If I find my perfect car, I'll likely buy another. What I did find in my search is VERY few unmolested, clean, well preserved specimens. They may have been produced in large number but go find an all original car that was actually taken care of and not beat to within an inch of its life. They are rare. Also, go look in the FS section where the WTB ads outnumber the FS ads.

Will EVO's ever be worth big money like the Supra? Only time will tell. For now, a super clean, original EVO is a 20-30k car easily.
There will be always be outliers. As a whole ,I don't see these cars being that special. $20-30k is where i expect them to stay. Not accounting for inflation ,of course.
FWIW I understand these cars pretty well
p.s. I am also basing my opinion on the average crop of Evo offerings. These cars ,in general, are being raped and beat to ****. LOL
I don't see Evos, in general, going for crazy prices. The occasional unicorn with a determined buyer (the outlier) may go for some fantastic price. $20-30k for a good one is nothing to scoff at. Not like I'm low balling. I think that is more than generous and the market will reflect that.

Last edited by kaj; Mar 6, 2019 at 10:36 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
There will be always be outliers. As a whole ,I don't see these cars being that special. $20-30k is where i expect them to stay. Not accounting for inflation ,of course.
FWIW I understand these cars pretty well
p.s. I am also basing my opinion on the average crop of Evo offerings. These cars ,in general, are being raped and beat to ****. LOL
I don't see Evos, in general, going for crazy prices. The occasional unicorn with a determined buyer (the outlier) may go for some fantastic price. $20-30k for a good one is nothing to scoff at. Not like I'm low balling. I think that is more than generous and the market will reflect that.
This is an interesting discussion considering a 2009 s2000 with 91 miles just sold at auction for $70k, and a couple years ago a 2000 s2000 with maybe 16 miles sold for $71k+. I love the s2k but the Evo is much more scarce and more car per $ than the s2k. Supply & demand determine the market, period. We already know clean low mile examples are very scarce and highly sought after. Also take into account that there is a whole generation of people (and not just in the US either) who grew up loving classic japanese cars and in the car scene that was dominated by them. These are the people who will drive the market now and far into future. It is no different then the old rich guys at auctions who grew up around muscle and classic domestic cars that weren't considered "special" in their time, and yet they throw stupid sums of money at them. You personally may not be willing to ever pay more than 30k for an evo but plenty of others will. You may not agree with the market but the market is what it is, and considering how other classics have been performing in their markets I think its a safe bet the evo (clean low mile examples) will eventually get up there with the supra/nsx/s2k etc.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This discussion is what I've been waiting for I've already had some offers in the twenties but I am not in a rush to sell this thing especially at that price. Maybe Ebay or other auctioning sites will generate better sale figure?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisF

^this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:53 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by Evo9isLife
This is an interesting discussion considering a 2009 s2000 with 91 miles just sold at auction for $70k, and a couple years ago a 2000 s2000 with maybe 16 miles sold for $71k+. I love the s2k but the Evo is much more scarce and more car per $ than the s2k. Supply & demand determine the market, period. We already know clean low mile examples are very scarce and highly sought after. Also take into account that there is a whole generation of people (and not just in the US either) who grew up loving classic japanese cars and in the car scene that was dominated by them. These are the people who will drive the market now and far into future. It is no different then the old rich guys at auctions who grew up around muscle and classic domestic cars that weren't considered "special" in their time, and yet they throw stupid sums of money at them. You personally may not be willing to ever pay more than 30k for an evo but plenty of others will. You may not agree with the market but the market is what it is, and considering how other classics have been performing in their markets I think its a safe bet the evo (clean low mile examples) will eventually get up there with the supra/nsx/s2k etc.
BAT doesn't count

Here's how I see it:
Supra: Iconic because of looks, reliability, and it can make a ton of power without having to replace everything. To this day one of the best GT cars you can drive.
FD: Iconic because perfect weight distribution, super good looks, GREAT handling and the rotary. Hasn't been anything like it before or after.
NSX: Iconic because of stellar handling characteristics and being able to turn faster lap times than some exotics.
S2k: Iconic because of it's traditional and classic FR distribution, an engine the revs to the moon and can also turn faster lap times than some exotics.
Evo: Um... er... well... Iconic because Mitsubishi build quality/interior/etc, may make 500whp if you don't mind sacrificing lots of things, horrible weight distribution, handles "fun" but not great, sounds like a John Deer tractor, needs a decent amount of money put into it to be competitive in... well... anything.
Even the AE86 is iconic due to it's surprisingly good handling and balance characteristics.

I'm just saying that I don't see the Evo having anything that makes it an icon. A fun car? Absolutely. Legendary? No. Look at any "JDM Legends" picture: GTR, Supra, NSX, FD. No Evo, Look at auctions where older Evos are finally avail. Sales aren't stellar and prices are reasonable. Same goes for Subarus and a few others. They don't have the status of the other cars.

I hope I'm wrong. I'd love to even be able to get back the $17k I paid for the car. If someone ever offers me anywhere near $25k, I'll sell it so fast parts will fall right off LOL. For $25-30k there are quite a few better cars to buy. Hell, if I'm dropping $30k on a car, I'll pony up another $15k for a GTR. It's going to take a real fan to pay that much for an Evo. If there are that many hard-core fans out there with that kinda money, more power to the sellers.

I could be wrong, I'm just basing my guesses on what I've seen in the past. It's possible there could be a huge surge in interest like there was the AE86. You never know. It'll be interesting to see what happens!

p.s. I'm a HUGE Evo fan and love my car more than my family members. So, it's not that I don't want my car to go up in value.

Last edited by kaj; Mar 7, 2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
Here is a real life example for you guys. I picked up my Evo a few months ago. Its an 06 MR SE and had about 50K miles on it. Bone stock except for a cat back. Outside is a 9 out of 10, inside is a 10 out of 10. Its a good example of a car that was not abused (as far as I can tell). It was exactly what I wanted so I had no problem paying 25K for it. At the time of me searching, the only other one I found that was similar, had 85k miles on it, was pretty modified and the guy was still asking 25k for it. Not sure what it sold for though. All the other Evos that were for sale at the time had 100k or more miles on them and they were priced from 15-20K. So mine had half the miles and was a couple grand more = 100% worth it. Keep in mind too, this is Socal where everything is more expensive. Location means a lot for prices.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
BAT doesn't count

Here's how I see it:
Supra: Iconic because of looks, reliability, and it can make a ton of power without having to replace everything. To this day one of the best GT cars you can drive.
FD: Iconic because perfect weight distribution, super good looks, GREAT handling and the rotary. Hasn't been anything like it before or after.
NSX: Iconic because of stellar handling characteristics and being able to turn faster lap times than some exotics.
S2k: Iconic because of it's traditional and classic FR distribution, an engine the revs to the moon and can also turn faster lap times than some exotics.
Evo: Um... er... well... Iconic because Mitsubishi build quality/interior/etc, may make 500whp if you don't mind sacrificing lots of things, horrible weight distribution, handles "fun" but not great, sounds like a John Deer tractor, needs a decent amount of money put into it to be competitive in... well... anything.
Even the AE86 is iconic due to it's surprisingly good handling and balance characteristics.

I'm just saying that I don't see the Evo having anything that makes it an icon. A fun car? Absolutely. Legendary? No. Look at any "JDM Legends" picture: GTR, Supra, NSX, FD. No Evo, Look at auctions where older Evos are finally avail. Sales aren't stellar and prices are reasonable. Same goes for Subarus and a few others. They don't have the status of the other cars.

I hope I'm wrong. I'd love to even be able to get back the $17k I paid for the car. If someone ever offers me anywhere near $25k, I'll sell it so fast parts will fall right off LOL. For $25-30k there are quite a few better cars to buy. Hell, if I'm dropping $30k on a car, I'll pony up another $15k for a GTR. It's going to take a real fan to pay that much for an Evo. If there are that many hard-core fans out there with that kinda money, more power to the sellers.

I could be wrong, I'm just basing my guesses on what I've seen in the past. It's possible there could be a huge surge in interest like there was the AE86. You never know. It'll be interesting to see what happens!

p.s. I'm a HUGE Evo fan and love my car more than my family members. So, it's not that I don't want my car to go up in value.
I guess we're just going to completely disregard the Evo's rally heritage and the success that came with it, or the fact that they are more highly regarded in europe and asia
Of all the exaples you listed the Evo is the only one homologated from an actual purpose built race car.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:51 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Here is a real life example for you guys. I picked up my Evo a few months ago. Its an 06 MR SE and had about 50K miles on it. Bone stock except for a cat back. Outside is a 9 out of 10, inside is a 10 out of 10. Its a good example of a car that was not abused (as far as I can tell). It was exactly what I wanted so I had no problem paying 25K for it. At the time of me searching, the only other one I found that was similar, had 85k miles on it, was pretty modified and the guy was still asking 25k for it. Not sure what it sold for though. All the other Evos that were for sale at the time had 100k or more miles on them and they were priced from 15-20K. So mine had half the miles and was a couple grand more = 100% worth it. Keep in mind too, this is Socal where everything is more expensive. Location means a lot for prices.
I'd say $25k is at the upper end of value..but it sounds like it was really well taken care of. The fact that it was exactly what you were looking for prompted you to may more than you normally would? That's why I over paid for mine LOL.
anyway ,you are the outlier I mentioned. The occasional, but rare, buyer that happens to find exact what he's looking for, doesn't mind the premium, and can afford it.
I don't see that happening frequently enough to drive up the prices of these cars.

Originally Posted by Evo9isLife
I guess we're just going to completely disregard the Evo's rally heritage and the success that came with it, or the fact that they are more highly regarded in europe and asia
Of all the exaples you listed the Evo is the only one homologated from an actual purpose built race car.
Yes, because this is the U.S. And very few people in the U.S., looking to buy a performance car, care.
​​​​​​​We're small, tight community and probably the only ones who appreciate all that.

Last edited by kaj; Mar 7, 2019 at 12:57 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I'd say $25k is at the upper end of value..but it sounds like it was really well taken care of. The fact that it was exactly what you were looking for prompted you to may more than you normally would? That's why I over paid for mine LOL.
anyway ,you are the outlier I mentioned. The occasional, but rare, buyer that happens to find exact what he's looking for, doesn't mind the premium, and can afford it.
I don't see that happening frequently enough to drive up the prices of these cars.
Yes, I did over pay because it was exactly what I wanted. I think 21-22k would have been the true going value. I had a list of things I wanted and would take no less as I dont plan on selling it anytime soon.

- Around 50k miles
- Had to be a IX
- Had to be MR SE
- Stock
- Silver or white
- Near perfect condition / needed nothing

Number of cars for sale in a 200 mile radius at the time that fit the bill = 1. Sure I could have sourced one out of state for less but then I would have had to pay to get it shipped back.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 01:36 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Yes, I did over pay because it was exactly what I wanted. I think 21-22k would have been the true going value. I had a list of things I wanted and would take no less as I dont plan on selling it anytime soon.

- Around 50k miles
- Had to be a IX
- Had to be MR SE
- Stock
- Silver or white
- Near perfect condition / needed nothing

Number of cars for sale in a 200 mile radius at the time that fit the bill = 1. Sure I could have sourced one out of state for less but then I would have had to pay to get it shipped back.
A completely stock white '06 MR fell into my lap. It had 115k mi. I paid $17.5k because some idiot I knew told the dealership I had been searching for one. I bet I could have picked it up for $15k. This was in 2012, though. In 2012, $17.5k was way too much.
Today, I'd be willing to pay the same ,not much more. Maybe I'm not as much of a fan as some...?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Kaj - I purchased my 2014 evo x brand new 5 years ago due to the already increase in evo 8/9 pricing BACK THEN. *Clean* EVOs are not getting any cheaper now or in the future.

BTW, just look at cars in general, they keep getting more and more expensive every year!

It's really simple supply and demand, IMO.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 03:48 PM
kaj

And inflation.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
And inflation.
Mostly it's this. All things are more expensive now period.