Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

MAPerformance want's your input!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 01:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
MAPerformance want's your input!!

Hey guys!

Matt Akin from MAPerformance here, I just wanted to reach out to you all today to get some ideas of what you are looking to improve on the Evo 8/9 platforms. I am looking to revive our Evo 8/9 program here and would LOVE some input from our community on what products you wish were available, what could be improved and what you would like to see come out of the MAPerformance fab shop! Any and all ideas are welcome and who knows, maybe YOU will be the reason a new and or improved product gets released! I can't wait to hear what you guys have to say!
Old Mar 8, 2019, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
Stock frame GT35
The following users liked this post:
XSivPSI (Mar 13, 2019)
Old Mar 8, 2019, 03:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was browsing your site do you guys sell a o2 dump a hood on that is the only company I’ve seen making them is jmfab whoever that is and toxic fan but he no longer makes them
Old Mar 8, 2019, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Here is what I want to see

- Lower Prices/Price Match
- Youtube Vlogs and show what is being built, why they need these parts, etc... and have them buy from you
- Marketing Promotions for us, "send us a video of your car and what you bought from us and we will feature you"
- Maybe an affiliate program, if im going to rep a brand name I would at least like to be paid from that company if I believe in them for pushing their brand and being compensated so I can build my car. " dont care about the money I think most people want free parts if they save enough commission to put it back in the business

But anyways for example i'm looking for Manley I beams, and weisco pistons 9:5:1. Your competitor has them for way cheaper and thats who I am going to go with because its the same parts.

The Evo 8/9 game is still alive but people are looking for better prices vs just going with what they see. eCommerce has made it more competitive now than ever to find the same quality parts for lower prices.

If you guys had a platform where you will price match or beat it by 5-10% that will bring more people over.
The following users liked this post:
huzzle101 (Mar 8, 2019)
Old Mar 8, 2019, 05:28 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Thanks Matt for posting up

Good to see one of our most important vendors participate on the boards

I recently placed an order for AEM gauges & the order went well

If i can come up w/any worthwhile suggestions, i will post up

Joe
Old Mar 8, 2019, 06:06 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I buy a ton of OEM parts. If you guys had a comprehensive selection at competitive pricing, I'd be down. I regularly use a competitor because they have most parts I need and are easy to find. They are really, really far away and their shipping charges/time kill me. Any improvement on that and I'd be sold.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Bolt on Electric conversion kits for the Evo. Include everything but the batteries. Either a Direct-Drive (no transmission) or one that bolts on to the Evo trans or offer both options for buyers. Realistically, this will probably take a long time and costly option, but we’ve pretty much did it all with turbo systems engine . Do we really need another gasoline engine power mod option? Electric may be the next evolution of the Evolution.

Flat underbody kit that covers the entire underbody of the Evo. Better aero. Doesnt need to be expensive carbon fiber as we will not be showing off the underbody. Just a high impact plastic or thin aluminum etc.. is fine.

Rear wing lip that looks like the ducktail spoilers or CSL M3. Something that is not small like those ebay urethanes that are only 1" but also not overly big. Perhaps one that is about 3” tall but wide enough to cover both trunk holes. I dont like those do-luck spoiler type trunks. This is the design type that I like and I believe will flow well with the evo lines. Also, this wont be expensive to make and offer.

Notice how it extends over the trunk top. Make the entire half long enough to cover the holes. Dont just make the side ends long and center short like the Rexpeed “Batman” or whatever its called trunk spoiler.

LED headlights like the new Acura's ? Here is a one on an Evo. I don know too much about the details of the headlight, I guess it was custom made .

Fender flares. Nothing huge, something subtle like the below. I believe User here named Zomaia from Australia. I remember him saying it was a one off a shop made for him. Could be made of rubber and cheap.

Last edited by BluEVOIX; Mar 10, 2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I buy a ton of OEM parts. If you guys had a comprehensive selection at competitive pricing, I'd be down. I regularly use a competitor because they have most parts I need and are easy to find. They are really, really far away and their shipping charges/time kill me. Any improvement on that and I'd be sold.

i agree.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
+1 on that flat underbody kit, i really need one.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Or LED lights like the audi r8 would be sick on the evo 8

The car has so much potential to match up with the supercars, if Mitsubishi spent a little more time on the car, they could have sold it for 60k retail

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
Bolt on Electric conversion kits for the Evo. Include everything but the batteries. Either a Direct-Drive (no transmission) or one that bolts on to the Evo trans or offer both options for buyers. This will probably take a long time.

Flat underbody kit that covers the entire underbody of the Evo. Better aero.

Rear wing lip that looks like the ducktail spoilers or CSL M3. Something that is not small like those ebay urethanes that are only 1" but also not overly big. Perhaps one that is about 3” tall but wide enough to cover both trunk holes. I dont like those do-luck spoiler type trunks. This is the design type that I like and I believe will flow well with the evo lines.

LED headlights like the new Acura's ? Here is a one on an Evo. I don know too much about the details of the headlight, I guess it was custom made .

Fender flares. Nothing huge, something subtle like the below. I believe User here named Zomaia from Australia. I remember him saying it was a one off a shop made for him.

Old Mar 9, 2019, 04:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I definitely agree on the OEM and JDM parts selection being a great addition, as well as some more options from your fabricators such as intercooler piping, catch cans, intercoolers, things of that nature you guys can custom fab in house and stick your name on. I'd love to have some more custom MAP goodies to go with the MAP engine!
Old Mar 9, 2019, 06:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
More weight saving items.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Yes, always great when vendors ask for feedback from the community, love it!

Just wanted to mention a few things here as I see a few folks have touched on the lack of price matching and that baffles me so I'm going to throw this out there. Have any of you picked up the phone and called them or drafted up an email? I've ordered countless things over the years from vendors such as MAP, STM or the like and have NEVER had an issue with price matching and/or beating a price. The secret is that you need to convey what you are after and chances are if they can make ends meet, even if the margins are minimal they will help you out. In this day in age nobody wants to pick up the phone so perhaps some sort of portal on the site would facilitate that process? But until then no vendor is a mind reader and can't keep tabs on every promotion going on from their competitors so it's on us to communicate that with them and offer the opportunity for them to make the sale.

Now back to parts ideas...personally weight savings items would be fantastic. Tubular subframes, removable front core support, dash bar, seat brackets.

What happened to your dry sump kit? What about baffled oil pans?

Better turbo kit selection would be fantastic too. For example finding a IWG bottom mount EFR turbo kit is slim pickings to date.

Transmission cooler kit, brake cooling options oh and see what you can come up with for a real front splitter!

I understand that a lot of these parts are available on the market but availability stateside, long lead times and vendors going into the marketplace and leaving shortly thereafter has burned a bunch of folks on some of these "trick" parts that were being developed, deposits put down then disappear. Not going to name names but we see these stories all the time so these unique products being offered by an established vendor like MAP would be a huge improvement.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 07:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Gentleman, I really appreciate your input so far!! One thing I would love to address right away is some of you are looking for competitive pricing quotes for our competitors. We have amazing relationships with our vendors and I know that I will beat if not at least match the pricing on the products you guys are seeing elsewhere. To be specific, Steven121 mentioned Manley and Wiseco, both of which I am direct with and have great relationships with, do not be discouraged by the website pricing. If you call us, send us an email or even PM me here I will make sure you are getting the best pricing available. Nobody here at MAP makes commission so we are always more than happy to help you guys out on prices, I am here for the love of performance machines and the culture. Now to address some of the other products you guys mentioned, more variations of the readily available turbo kits we make to adapt to more modern turbocharger solutions, weight saving, dry sump kits, better oil cooler and trans cooler kits, etc. These are all really good suggestions and I am going to bring every single one of them up to our manufacturing management! One thing I do want you guys to know, I am actively working on getting an Evo 8 roller for the shop as we speak. My idea with that car will be to personally vlog the entire build from the ground up, giving my personal recommendations on the parts we will put on the car, as well as some installation details. This wont be a 1,000whp+ track only car, my idea was to build a 500whp Evo 8 for the street that almost everyone can relate to. If this is something you guys would be interested in seeing as a MAP video series on Youtube, let me know your thoughts on that as well! Thank you so much for the participation so far, I look forward to seeing what else you guys have to say!
The following 2 users liked this post by maperformance:
SoSoEVO (Mar 13, 2019), XSivPSI (Mar 13, 2019)
Old Mar 11, 2019, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
+1 on that EFR kit!