Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

High Mileage Evos

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2019, 07:17 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
If its anything like my 2003.... clear coat failure on most of the horizontal surfaces
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
If its anything like my 2003.... clear coat failure on most of the horizontal surfaces
I thought they were all single stage paint. At least the rally red is.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:58 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by XSivPSI
Old Jun 13, 2019, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
143k here... I've owned my Evo 9 SE for a little over 4 years now, and it's insane how reliable it's been! Only work I've done has been regular oil changes, rotors and pads, radiator, battery, spark plugs, and a control arm! Currently sitting at 385whp running E85, tuned at Road Race Engineering. Really starting to wonder how much longer she'll last without needing some major work done.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by XSivPSI
Yeah, red and maybe another color (white?) had no clear coat. My RR 2003 I got new has never been waxed and still looks pretty good. I do see a little rosy color on horizonal surfaces indicating the paint is starting to chalk.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by DetroitEvoIX
Original owner IX here ... 155K miles. Only has a tune. I've pretty much maintained it with stock parts according to the owner's manual since new ... nothing more. OEM fluids every 30K, timing belt, etc, every 60K, etc. Shocks, radiator, wheel bearings ... nothing more than a 'normal' car would need over 13 years. My oil cooler developed a leak, my accessory belt tensioner froze up, and I had to re-shim my A/C compressor, my fuel door spring broke ... I mean, these probably totalled $500 for OEM parts. The only big-ticket failure I had was the ACD pump (galvanic corrosion). Now I coat the new one with Boeshield every year, and it seems to help. No leaks, no (zero) oil consumption (regular ole M1 10W-30), and I daily drive it all year, as well as do one or two track days per year ... meaning I'm driving it as intended Oh ... I also have the original clutch, and have no plans to replace it any time soon. It honestly drives as good as the day I bought it. To this day, I'm amazed how reliable this car is.
have you done the water pump at 60k intervals?
Old Nov 3, 2022, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep ... silly not to change the water pump 'while you're in there' because it's cheap insurance. I'm now at almost 180K miles. Still runs like the day I bought it, and burns zero oil. Hoping to get 200K out of the original clutch!
Old Nov 3, 2022, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Here are my three keys to Evo longevity that I have learned over 13 years of ownership ... 1.) Religious maintenance per the owner's manual recommendations with OEM parts exclusively 2.) Don't get greedy with the HP. Stock, the Evo is incredibly reliable, even in a racing environment (I race mine). You can't expect to double the factory output and have it still be reliable. 3.) Respect the car. The car is designed to be driven hard, but you can't expect an AWD car to take hundreds of 6K RPM clutch dumps on high mu surfaces without breaking something. I'll throw a bonus tip (as I am an OEM auto engineer) ... 95% of aftermarket parts are junk. Pick your mods carefully.
I'm content with stockish power, but my main gripe is how slow the turbo spools back up between shifts. Would a tune drastically change this? I'd be perfectly happy with 300whp/300tq and instant spool
Old Nov 3, 2022, 12:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Spooled_IX
I'm content with stockish power, but my main gripe is how slow the turbo spools back up between shifts. Would a tune drastically change this? I'd be perfectly happy with 300whp/300tq and instant spool
Stock turbo or similar is near instant boost. Maybe your DV is worn or the turbo itself. Could also get some shorter IC pipes to help with spool such as ETS kit.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by V.8MR
Stock turbo or similar is near instant boost. Maybe your DV is worn or the turbo itself. Could also get some shorter IC pipes to help with spool such as ETS kit.
Turbo has no play and spins freely. Everything checks out with pressure testing and Ive tried the short IC pipes. They didnt make much of a difference. Ive even readjusted the wastegate preload per the factory manual.

After shifting at redline it takes over a full second for boost to fully build. This is not normal? Lol I thought it was the lethargic factory tune or a clogged cat..
Old Nov 6, 2022, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
Yep ... silly not to change the water pump 'while you're in there' because it's cheap insurance. I'm now at almost 180K miles. Still runs like the day I bought it, and burns zero oil. Hoping to get 200K out of the original clutch!
excellent to hear about your reliability

got mine home today. hope to enjoy many thousands of miles of reliable power

have you had any adc pump issues?