Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Deployment storage For Evo 8. What to and what not to do

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Deployment storage For Evo 8. What to and what not to do

Hey guys ! Got a interesting one for ya today. I’m leaving for deployment here soon and I was wondering what I should and shouldn’t do regarding storing the car for 6+ months. First things first the engine is built and is on a dual map e85, I was thinking of putting 91 in it so it doesn’t get gunked up to bad. My other initial thought is to have someone drive the car maybe once a month at least. I was wondering if it would be better to just drain everything and let it sit. I’ve never left my car for more then a month th so I really don’t know how to go about it. Any tips, tricks or personal experience. Thanks in advance
Old Mar 27, 2019, 07:11 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I like the idea of flushing out the E85 & going back in w/the oily 91

Battery tender for sure. Dont like the idea of loaning out the EvO for spin every once in a while. Find out it was wrapped around a pole

Keep in garaged / Wouldnt mind having it started & putting a light heat cycle into the motor (10 mins) once every 2 weeks

6 months is not that long to store

BTW, EvO looking good & that black plate!

Whos that JarHead in the background (jk)

Stay safe & make us proud

Old Mar 27, 2019, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Willhockey62
Hey guys ! Got a interesting one for ya today. I’m leaving for deployment here soon and I was wondering what I should and shouldn’t do regarding storing the car for 6+ months. First things first the engine is built and is on a dual map e85, I was thinking of putting 91 in it so it doesn’t get gunked up to bad. My other initial thought is to have someone drive the car maybe once a month at least. I was wondering if it would be better to just drain everything and let it sit. I’ve never left my car for more then a month th so I really don’t know how to go about it. Any tips, tricks or personal experience. Thanks in advance
Definitely don't leave E85 in it, make sure to run it a little on 91/93 to clear the fuel system of most of the ethanol.
Having a friend drive it once a month is ideal, if he can put a few miles on it each time. Starting and moving the car is not enough. Also if you're running water in your coolant system, switch it out for anti-freeze to prevent cooling system corrosion. Otherwise it'll be fine, garage it if you can to keep the weather away.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious

Battery tender for sure. Dont like the idea of loaning out the EvO for spin every once in a while. Find out it was wrapped around a pole

Keep in garaged / Wouldnt mind having it started & putting a light heat cycle into the motor (10 mins) once every 2 weeks

BTW, EvO looking good & that black plate! Whos that JarHead in the background (jk)

Minus, I wouldn't recommend running it for only 10 minutes, you might as well not run it at all. When you start up you'll typically get fuel washing past the rings into the oil. You want to drive long enough to evaporate that fuel otherwise you're just constantly thinning the oil. Not starting it at all would be better than running it for 10 minutes every so often.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious

BTW, EvO looking good & that black plate!

Whos that JarHead in the background (jk)

thanks for the quick response ! I will go ahead and put some 91 in her before I leave. Also I will be leaving it with really good friend of mine who is the only person I trust with my evo, so I don’t mind if he takes it out every once in a while. Got big plans for her when I get back !
Old Mar 27, 2019, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Fox_IX
Definitely don't leave E85 in it, make sure to run it a little on 91/93 to clear the fuel system of most of the ethanol.
Having a friend drive it once a month is ideal, if he can put a few miles on it each time. Starting and moving the car is not enough. Also if you're running water in your coolant system, switch it out for anti-freeze to prevent cooling system corrosion. Otherwise it'll be fine, garage it if you can to keep the weather away.
thanks for the advice ! I’ll have him take it out once a month for a few miles. Also I’ll be draining my cooling system this weekend anyways so I’m glad you told me that. I shot my freeze plug out of the block after what sounded like a high rpm misfire. Lol
Old Mar 27, 2019, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been storing mine for 5 months each year for the past 14 years. Put away in December, starts up on first try in April. I use:
1) Fresh oil
2) Full tank with stabil
3) Street tires at 40 - 45 psi
4) Sometimes I use a trickle charger, sometimes I don't
Old Mar 27, 2019, 07:55 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by volcano
I've been storing mine for 5 months each year for the past 14 years. Put away in December, starts up on first try in April. I use:
1) Fresh oil
2) Full tank with stabil
3) Street tires at 40 - 45 psi
4) Sometimes I use a trickle charger, sometimes I don't
From a guy who knows. Well said

About those times when you didnt use the tender, cant believe the battery would last? My PC680 dies if you just look at it wrong
Old Mar 28, 2019, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is what I did when I deployed.

1. Drained E85 and put in 91 octane fuel with Stabil.
2. Rented a storage unit and parked the Evo. Closed all windows and vents. Spread rat poison around the storage unit. Fabric softener sheets inside the car.
3. Took the battery to a friend's place and plugged it in his garage with a trickle charger.
4. Current tires usually won't flat spot. If they do, re-inflate then drive, and it'll fix itself.

When you get back, replace fluids, install parts, and go faster!
Old Mar 29, 2019, 08:12 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
I have 4 cars that I store most of the year. I only drove my Evo 400 miles in the last 17 months. I like to put mothballs everwhere inside and in the engine bay. I do start the cars and let them run until the fans come on once about every 2 weeks. I also roll them out and run them outside. I store them in my huge shop which is dehumidified at 45% and the temperature never gets below 40F. Trickle charges are a must, I have one for each car that just keeps the battery healthy.

This is an Evo ix, Honda Civic, Mazda 4x4 truck and a Mazda 3.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 09:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
6 months is nothing. Put tires at max pressure, disconnect battery, leave it.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use the OEM battery. Never figured this out... ...I have another car I have to put on a trickle charger if parked for more than 4 weeks. I'm on my second battery for the MR, the first lasted nearly seven years (dealer suggested I change it). I'm still on the second (now that I think about it, I should probably change it also). It can only help to use a trickle charger.