Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Another weird nose thread!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 08:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Another weird nose thread!

Hey everyone. I have something that is driving me crazy. When in higher gear going slow speeds no boost, I can tap the gas and I hear a weird sound that sounds line something plastic and loose rattling. I dont hear it on decel, I dont hear it when boosting, only when tapping the gas 2000-3000rpm. It’s faint and in the background, not a loud prominant nise, best discription of the sound is like crunching leaves. Ive drained and teplaced all drive train fluids with diaqueen and there were no shavings. It sort of sounds like maybe if a spring in thr bov is loose, it completely goes away when boosting. Kinda stumped. Possibly ISC motor? I have a video I’ll upload to youtube and post. In the video you will hea road bumps and that is not the sound I’m talking about. I’ll slightly hear it in neutral but most audible when car is under light load (in vac). Any help appreciated

edit: I have a mechanical boost gauge, wondering if it’s possibly the internals of the gauge making noises with vac. I hear it very slightly in the engine bay by the injectors/throttle cable area when I lightly rev when the car is stationary

Last edited by UrbanSmoker; Jun 27, 2019 at 09:28 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by UrbanSmoker
Hey everyone. I have something that is driving me crazy. When in higher gear going slow speeds no boost, I can tap the gas and I hear a weird sound that sounds line something plastic and loose rattling. I dont hear it on decel, I dont hear it when boosting, only when tapping the gas 2000-3000rpm. It’s faint and in the background, not a loud prominant nise, best discription of the sound is like crunching leaves. Ive drained and teplaced all drive train fluids with diaqueen and there were no shavings. It sort of sounds like maybe if a spring in thr bov is loose, it completely goes away when boosting. Kinda stumped. Possibly ISC motor? I have a video I’ll upload to youtube and post. In the video you will hea road bumps and that is not the sound I’m talking about. I’ll slightly hear it in neutral but most audible when car is under light load (in vac). Any help appreciated

edit: I have a mechanical boost gauge, wondering if it’s possibly the internals of the gauge making noises with vac. I hear it very slightly in the engine bay by the injectors/throttle cable area when I lightly rev when the car is stationary
does this car have mivec, which evo is this? i have a friend with the same issue
Old Jun 29, 2019, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
but maybe the video would help more if we can hear it.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by TariqEvo
but maybe the video would help more if we can hear it.
Car does have mivec yes it’s a 9MR. I’ll get the video uploaded soon
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Throttle cable rattling on valve cover? I had that issue in the same scenario you are describing, however it's really impossible to diagnose a noise issue like that over the internet even with videos. All we can do is suggest things to check, but you'll be at it all day.
Get someone to rev the car and try to replicate the noise with your ear in the engine bay. If you can't hear it, it's in the interior. Start there and tell us what you find.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Fox_IX
Throttle cable rattling on valve cover? I had that issue in the same scenario you are describing, however it's really impossible to diagnose a noise issue like that over the internet even with videos. All we can do is suggest things to check, but you'll be at it all day.
Get someone to rev the car and try to replicate the noise with your ear in the engine bay. If you can't hear it, it's in the interior. Start there and tell us what you find.

The throttle cable is tucked under the intake manifold. I’ll get the video up when I can. But I’m starting to think it’s the sucking sound from my k&N. This is my first small turbo car, my eclipse had a 6466 on it so I guess getting used to the earlier noises of smaller things. I’m finding my throw out bearing could also be shot cause I hear quiet swirling when in neutral and it goes away when clutch is pressed in. I changed all the drive train fluids and all looked good as far as no flakes in there and such. Used all mitsubishi diaqieen fluids. I guess I gotta tackle things one step at a time, lifters are loud too haha
Old Jul 2, 2019, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
The swirling you could be hearing might be coming from a lightweight flywheel. They are notorious for that
Old Jul 3, 2019, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Kada__85
The swirling you could be hearing might be coming from a lightweight flywheel. They are notorious for that

Oem flywheel
Old Jul 12, 2019, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Boost solenoids make that kinda noise at light throttle. Wont hear it under boost
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by UrbanSmoker
The throttle cable is tucked under the intake manifold. I’ll get the video up when I can. But I’m starting to think it’s the sucking sound from my k&N. This is my first small turbo car, my eclipse had a 6466 on it so I guess getting used to the earlier noises of smaller things. I’m finding my throw out bearing could also be shot cause I hear quiet swirling when in neutral and it goes away when clutch is pressed in. I changed all the drive train fluids and all looked good as far as no flakes in there and such. Used all mitsubishi diaqieen fluids. I guess I gotta tackle things one step at a time, lifters are loud too haha
Swirling that goes away when you put in the clutch is going to be TOB or input shaft bearing. I've also heard that noise on brand new TOBs that weren't greased properly.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Fox_IX
Swirling that goes away when you put in the clutch is going to be TOB or input shaft bearing. I've also heard that noise on brand new TOBs that weren't greased properly.

So it turns out there were a bunch of leaves in my driver side sudr skirt cavity behind the front wheel splash guard. Vac’d those out and no more weird sounds! The clutch thing still but the noose I heard when. I made this thread seems to actually be leaves haha