Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 2 Importing

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2019, 12:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,044 Likes on 762 Posts
Why in all of the universe would someone spend $18,000 on a Evo 2 or $22,000 on a Evo 3 when you can find a pretty good Evo 8 or 9 for that, with WAYYYYYYYYY less headache in getting parts, it being a much better car, ability to insure for not a crazy amount of $$$, etc????

I don't understand that logic whatsoever.

Trust me, I know this whole car addiction isn't logical most of the time, but that just seems like the worst idea ever.

Last edited by razorlab; Oct 7, 2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
I mean you're not wrong but you're looking at this in far too logical of a manor so therefore youre wrong, lol!

It's not about going the fastest or being the most economical. Can you put a price on coolness?
Old Oct 7, 2019, 01:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by heel2toe
I mean you're not wrong but you're looking at this is far too logical of a manor so therefore youre wrong, lol!

It's not about going the fastest or being the most economical. Can you put a price on coolness?
Right, but he is asking about one for a daily driver.

A car that costs the same as a USDM Evo 8 or 9 for daily driving purposes, but with the lack of ease of getting parts and even the possibility of insuring, is very illogical.

You could insure with one of the many "collector car" insurance firms but I can tell you by first hand experience that as soon as you say you are driving it for more than just car shows, etc they say "nope".
Old Oct 7, 2019, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Insurance is a good point. I guess it depends what youre definition of a daily driver is. My commute to my office is 15 minutes so its not like I put a ton of miles on the car commuting with my current gig. Still not sure about the insurance aspect but I'd have no issue getting to work and back. Although I say that and my few work trips this year in the evo resulted in me going home at lunch to grab my truck and trailer so wtf do I know, lol!

Regardless, I'd still think if mechanically the car is sound and insurance isnt an issue then what's the big deal? He still has another car to drive so lack of parts might mean it takes longer to get back on the road but with any vehicle component failures can happen and most arent fixed on the side of the road anyway.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 01:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Insurance is a good point. I guess it depends what youre definition of a daily driver is. My commute to my office is 15 minutes so its not like I put a ton of miles on the car commuting with my current gig. Still not sure about the insurance aspect but I'd have no issue getting to work and back. Although I say that and my few work trips this year in the evo resulted in me going home at lunch to grab my truck and trailer so wtf do I know, lol!

Regardless, I'd still think if mechanically the car is sound and insurance isnt an issue then what's the big deal? He still has another car to drive so lack of parts might mean it takes longer to get back on the road but with any vehicle component failures can happen and most arent fixed on the side of the road anyway.

Lol. Have you ever owned a old DSM? This would basically be the same thing. There is no such thing as mechanically sound.

Listen, I get the allure of a old Evo. I totally do, and I can talk myself into pretty much any nonsensible purchase when it comes to cars, but an old JDM Evo + daily driving just does not compute for me. For a weekend toy? Sure thing, although $22k for a glorified DSM would be a hard pill to swallow for me.

Last edited by razorlab; Oct 7, 2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 01:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
Yep I get it. Im using the term daily driver loosely. But I do want a driver, and dont have any big build plans. Just maintaining it and fixing whatever breaks along the way. Its basically all about how cool the car is. Its stupid but what can I say
The following users liked this post:
RHD_EVO (Oct 7, 2019)
Old Oct 7, 2019, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
I hate red mudflaps with such a passion. Damn they're ugly.

Anyone can buy an Evo 8 or 9. If you already have one of those, why would you buy another 8/9? Evo 123s, like DSMs, are only as good as the owner who maintains them - a bad DSM is usually caused by a bad owner. If you have a 123 that has been taken care of forever, it will be a very fine car to drive, whereas any deferred maintenance will come back and cost you double. That's why they shouldn't be used as daily drivers, because people WILL defer maintenance to keep them on the road to get to work (a friend of mine did this, the car was trashed after 2 years). I bought my Evo 1 with 30,000 miles on it, and it was absolutely DESTROYED from abuse and negligence. Every bushing was shot, the transmission didn't have 2nd or 3rd gear, the tires were bald, the body trashed, window and lock mechanisms broken, some gauges didn't work, you name it. I'm still sorting through the problems almost 11 years later. The 123 is pretty unique and people don't give it enough credit for the driving experience, it's no wonder why people fell in love with them and want them again. Cars from the 2000s took the emotion and drama out of driving. There is a lot to be said for a car with little sound deadening, no-comfort suspension, noise and harshness. People love the drama and frantic experience, the only caveat is that it should be for special occasions only.

A bad Evo will cost you more than a good one, but the good one is such a sweet place to be. And it will absolutely hold its value if it's taken care of.

https://www.evo.co.uk/mitsubishi/evo...hi-evos-tested
Old Oct 7, 2019, 07:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 579 Likes on 434 Posts
It's painful to think about spending $20k on anything older than 20 years for a daily driver. I'd rather drop $10k on a BRZ, miata or something RWD and fun and use the remaining $10k to fund a racing season or two.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 01:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Because I'm an idiot and cant seem to talk myself out of this brilliant idea, I'm in talks with a dealer in the UK regarding the car below. It was imported from Japan to the UK, and then if all is well with it it'll be imported stateside February.

Old Nov 8, 2019, 01:39 PM
EvoM Guru

That is in amazingly good condition. I would get the TME behind it though. :P
Old Nov 8, 2019, 01:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by razorlab
That is in amazingly good condition. I would get the TME behind it though. :P
He said the Tommi was imported to Ireland where it was driven for years. Underneath its rusted to hell.

But in 5 years I will also start considering importing an Evo6. Then I'll have 1 of each of my favorite generation. No chance for a TME though, that bubble is already inflated and only going to get bigger. They're going for big money.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 04:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Put a deposit on the silver car. Will make full payment this week. Should ship early Feb. Then I've got a 13hr drive from MO to Brunswick GA to pick it up. Pretty excited to say the least.

The following 2 users liked this post by V.8MR:
EVO196 (Nov 27, 2019), osetsky (Nov 26, 2019)
Old Nov 27, 2019, 04:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
I think you bought the right car, you'll love it.
The following users liked this post:
V.8MR (Nov 27, 2019)
Old Mar 21, 2020, 01:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Well yesterday I came home with Missouri's only Evo3 (Probably).

About 900 miles from Stl to Brunswick Georgia where the port is located. Crossed 4 states and drove 13/14 hrs straight through the night and watched the sun come up over the mountains. Amazing experience just in the drive alone. No joke, 3 people on 3 separate occasions asked to take photos/video of the car at various gas stations along the trip.

I got the car down and aired up the tires, filled it up with gas, and checked the oil. Then drove it around with my wife and son in the car. Another reason to love evos is there is room for the whole family to enjoy it with you lol. Took it on the highway today and drove about 40miles round trip. Does just fine at 80+ mph with revs under 4k. Have walk up to the wrong side to get into it about 100 times already. Everything works on the car, has HKS coil overs which are in great shape. The car is amazingly fast for 25yrs old, and it handles the way you'd expect and Evo to handle. I was concerned it'd feel like a DSM of the era but no, its an evo through and through. The car is incredibly small and nimble. I'm very happy so far with the purchase and have no regrets. This is way more fun and cool than some contemporary car of equal value. SOOOOO excited to tinker and enjoy this thing.

Also of note, my 2 evos are 10yrs apart, and both silver. Worked out beautifully.

Sitting at the port, first time seeing it in person. Car is/was dirty and tires only had like 25psi in them.

Somewhere in Tennessee

Somewhere in Tennessee

Somewhere in Tennessee

Home with the car. Havent taken it off the trailer, sitting in front of my house.

Home with the car. Havent taken it off the trailer, sitting in front of my house.

Photo of opportunity. Evo 8, meet your grandma the Evo 3.

Last edited by V.8MR; Mar 21, 2020 at 01:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by V.8MR:
EVO196 (Mar 26, 2020), RS200 (Mar 21, 2020)
Old Mar 21, 2020, 02:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Exterior looks to be in great condition!

Quick Reply: Evo 2 Importing