Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 2 Importing

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2020, 08:37 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 814 Likes on 678 Posts
Old cars don't need salt to rust. Water collecting in areas and not being able to get out does plenty of damage. Protection and coatings weren't a thing, back then.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 10:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,044 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Old cars don't need salt to rust. Water collecting in areas and not being able to get out does plenty of damage. Protection and coatings weren't a thing, back then.
Exactly my point. I had cars that where 100% in California their whole life that showed rust.

The following users liked this post:
kaj (Mar 28, 2020)
Old Mar 28, 2020, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
California also does not salt, but the cars in the mountains still get ripped up by the elements.
Unfortunately they started .
https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2019...ntal-concerns/

They do not apply with heavy spreaders but spray a brine solution. I got caught behind one of them once and wondered if it was what I thought...It was .....
At least it was in a leased car instead of a keeper.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
My observation has been that cars sitting off pavement in Japan tend to rust badly and most of the trash GTRs I've seen look like they've been sitting for a while. I was trying to buy a big-block 1967 Mustang out of Japan that was sitting in a field, likely for 25+ years, I remember that the car rusted in places where North American Mustangs didn't, which I attributed to the general climate. Moss grows on cars there and they rust very consistently on surfaces where moisture doesn't even pool, whereas North American cars rarely see moss (at least in my area), and the areas where moisture pools gets hit the worst - like the bottom of quarter panels, doors and floors. The cars that are driven and stored indoors in Japan tend to have very clean undercarriages, since they don't get exposed to whatever condition this is. JDM Connection typically includes undercarriage photos of their cars, and the average Japanese Evo looks a lot better than the average North American Evo: https://jdmconnection.ca/inventory/2...lution-7-gt-a/

I'm attaching a picture of my Evo's chassis. The car was around 27 years old when this photo was taken; the first 15-16 were in Japan, then to Canada. It was abused by its first Canadian owner for a few months before my ownership, and I have kept it in climate-controlled storage since 2010. It hasn't seen snow since I first drove it home in spring, 2009. Regardless, the undercarriage barely aged in those first 15 years, even though the body took a beating. I pulled the entire rear suspension apart (subframe and diff mounts too) with a 3/8" ratchet. There wasn't a single seized bolt.

Old Mar 28, 2020, 02:52 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
One thing I have noticed is cars that sit on jacks tend to do worse than on tires. It probably has something to do with being isolated from earth ground vs not.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 09:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is there a source, in English, for wiring diagrams for evos 1-3? I have a friend who just imported an Evo 2 and tried to install a radio. It didn't go as easily as it should have.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by J_Striker
Is there a source, in English, for wiring diagrams for evos 1-3? I have a friend who just imported an Evo 2 and tried to install a radio. It didn't go as easily as it should have.
I've never seen one personally. Some Evo123ers pointed to this before, not sure if it has wiring info: https://www.mediafire.com/file/bd80i...anual.zip/file

These two photos have also been referenced for someone who asked about wiring a radio:

Old Apr 15, 2020, 01:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
Bought all new rotors and pads, and caliper rebuild kits. Plus new swaybar endlinks and tierods. Also have several new superpro bushings. So decided to put car on stands. Haven't cleaned anything on the underside yet. Cleaner than most USDM evos out there! Quite happy with the purchase, car is in great shape.

The following 2 users liked this post by V.8MR:
Butt Dyno (Apr 17, 2020), RS200 (Apr 15, 2020)
Old May 22, 2020, 01:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Managed to score a set of Enkei Tarmac WRC Evo wheels. They are basically the same wheel as the WRC Evo 3 Tarmac except these arent made of magnesium or I'd have to sell my house to pay for them. They are 17x7. Pretty rare. But they are going to look so sweet. Here are other Queens Silver Evo 3s sporting them for ref

Old May 22, 2020, 01:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Also talking to Art Gennari of Gennari Turbos about having the Evo3 16g being rebuilt into a billet 9blade 20g. Probably going to need to pickup a standalone as there isnt much I'll be able to do tuning wise with the OE computer. Considering going with a Haltech once the times right.
Old May 23, 2020, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Beautiful car!! Congrats!

I just picked up an Evo III as well. Same color too. For some weird reason, it also is amazing looking underneath. My front lip is super damaged though, so that will be coming off and getting fixed. Yours looks really good.

Old May 23, 2020, 08:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by djscoto
Beautiful car!! Congrats!

I just picked up an Evo III as well. Same color too. For some weird reason, it also is amazing looking underneath. My front lip is super damaged though, so that will be coming off and getting fixed. Yours looks really good.

Was that the one that was for sale recently with like 600 whp?
Old May 23, 2020, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by V.8MR
Was that the one that was for sale recently with like 600 whp?
I was, yes. It was built by a good friend of mine. We worked out a deal to get me back into the Evo game after a 12 year hiatus. I am glad to be back.
The following users liked this post:
V.8MR (May 23, 2020)
Old May 23, 2020, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Clean
Old May 23, 2020, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by V.8MR
Also talking to Art Gennari of Gennari Turbos about having the Evo3 16g being rebuilt into a billet 9blade 20g. Probably going to need to pickup a standalone as there isnt much I'll be able to do tuning wise with the OE computer. Considering going with a Haltech once the times right.
Look into Link G4X EVO 1-3 plugin ECU
Plug and play for your application, with ability to have additional I/O and canbus as well
Should cost <US$1K for the ECU, pretty good deal

Quick Reply: Evo 2 Importing